Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2020, 11:19 AM   #1

Smart Wheel Issues

I have had issues with my smart wheel since we purchased our 07 coach. Sometimes the cruise works, sometimes the wipers work, and I just noticed the horn will only work with the ignition off, as soon as I turn it on the horn stops working. The wash cycle of the wipers are the only thing that works. Anyone ever had these types of issues?
JS Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2020, 03:12 PM   #2

Similar problem with our ‘18 DS. The cruise “resume” button does not work, and the wiper functions don’t always cancel when they’re supposed to. Spartan in Charlotte said everything was ok, but still no joy. I don’t know how these buttons communicate. RF signal? Is there a trouble shooting manual?
Calpop45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 03:23 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Our Coaches came from different assembly lines, but I'll bet both places have the same sloppy assemblers. In my coach the wires where not properly crimped to the terminal in the connector that plugs into the SmartWheel controller.

I had the same problems (cruise inop, and sometimes other wheel functions not working). There was an intermittent connection due to loose wire in a terminal. I was able to find the bad crimp when I unplugged the connector for testing and the wire just came out of the connector.

So my advice is to give each wire a little tug to make sure it is crimped properly. Had I done this first I would have saved a lot of time.

On my Coach the SmartWheel control unit is in the front electrical bay (front Run box). Your Coach may be different.

Here's a troubleshooting guide for 2006-2009 model years - the SmartWheel v4 series.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Smart Wheel troubleshooting V4 Series 2006-2009 models.pdf (421.1 KB, 183 views)
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 03:45 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
My 08 madp had same type issues. Replaced the clock spring. Pull the steering wheel and that's where the clock spring is located.
Old 07-26-2020, 08:39 AM   #5

Ok, so I went back to look around to see if any wires were loose, nothing. I pulled fuses and double checked anything associated the the steering or smart wheel, nothing. I pulled the steering wheel "horn cover" and was going to remove the steering wheel and when I disconnected the smart wheel connection the horn started sounding. Reconnected went back outside and started removing the controls module wires and horn started again when disconnecting those wires, pulled the horn wires loose to shut them up and removed the cover on the module to look for anything suspicious, nothing. went back inside reconnected the wires to the smart wheel and its working. I am suspicious of the clock springbok still not completely sure. I need to get a steering wheel puller to get it off. Left everything apart and probably going to go ahead and get one on order.
Old 07-26-2020, 08:48 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
My coach has a Douglas Autotech steering column. On their website you can find instructions to replace the clock spring, I included mine below for your reference.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf D10106 Clock spring bulletins.pdf (349.9 KB, 111 views)
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 08:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS Camping View Post
I have had issues with my smart wheel since we purchased our 07 coach. Sometimes the cruise works, sometimes the wipers work, and I just noticed the horn will only work with the ignition off, as soon as I turn it on the horn stops working. The wash cycle of the wipers are the only thing that works. Anyone ever had these types of issues?
Might just need to be reset - I had an issue with mine as the Alternator went bad - pulled all the wires let sit for 15+ minutes then put them back - Do a search for the reset as many suggest a particular order to reinstall and pull the wires - Changed the Alternator and all is well - I lost the ability to have headlights - - Not good for Night driving!

As it is with all Computers a Reset/Reboot is often all it needs - but to do that it needs to get turned completely OFF, and allowed to clear/reset itself.

Smart Wheel - NOT
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 06:15 AM   #8

Pulled the connections on the controller under the driver seat outside the coach and that corrected the issue.
Thanks for the help!
Old 05-07-2021, 09:56 PM   #9

Interesting reading about smart wheel woes. Our 2001 Monaco Windsor 36' started randomly exhibiting functions, without pushing any buttons. Wipers go without switching on, horn sounds without mashing the button, and the cruise quit. So, my research (lurking on this site) told me the clock spring was at fault. So, I disassembled the wheel and pulled it. To my amazement, there's no clock spring, but concentric brass contact rings, with spring-loaded contact posts. The rings and posts look fine. So, there's a computer board in the wheel, and I'm assuming there is a control module somewhere. Following the advise seen earlier, I'll look behind the radio. Any further advise?
Juanito49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 05:27 AM   #10

Even though the ring and contact posts look okay, they probably are not. That technology was fine for the high current to directly drive a horn but not so good for the low current signals of a smart wheel. That's why it was replaced with the clockspring.

Polish and lube that ring to improve performance.
Old 05-09-2021, 10:49 PM   #11

Not so smart wheel

Thanks for the response, Ken. I contacted Veurinks RV prior to disassembling the wheel, and learned that the clock spring wire they say will fit my coach has four leads, while the existing setup has two leads coming out of the circuit board to make connection with the concentric rings, and two wires connected to the contact posts in the steering column below. Sounds like I'm going to have to be satisfied with polishing or replacing the rings, unless someone has a conversion method to go from two wire to four. I suppose I could clip the sockets off of the clock spring wire and only use the two wires I need.
Juanito49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 09:03 AM   #12

I had issues with my smart wheel functions working. Shop replaced the clock spring for $1500 but that was NOT the issue. Ultimately replaced the smart wheel buttons and that fixed the issues. $1600 was my first expensive repair to my newly owned 08 coach. More followed. Ha ha.
Nevermind Me is offline   Reply With Quote