RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2019, 03:03 PM   #1
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Smartwheel Headlight/Wiper Tidbit

Since I bought my first DP in 2005, with a Smartwheel, I always hated that the headlights came on and stayed on if you used the wipers for any reason. If I just wanted a single swipe, or a wash, the headlights and running lights would come on and could ONLY be turned off by turning off and restarting the coach.

I know this is a safety feature and law in many states, but I wish they would let you cycle the headlight switch to turn the lights off if it wasn't raining. I just don't like driving down the road, during the day, with all the lights on, including the toad.

Well......since they moved the light switch off of the steering wheel in the 2019 Dutch Star, with a Freightliner (don't know about Spartan), you can now cycle the headlight light switch and it will turn all the lights off, after using the wipers. So....if your headlight switch is no longer on the steering wheel, give the above a try.

Not the post of the century, but it's raining and there's nothing new on the boards.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2019, 03:12 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Anything on all the new crazy electronics on these rigs is of interest to those in the market for a new rig. For me part of the planning process is deciding how much automation I can tolerate and predicting how much trouble it will cause me down the road, like the post on Girard Awnings self deploying. So this post and many like to are useful to me.

Old 12-07-2019, 03:32 PM   #3

Yeah, I think the headlight switch is my favorite. I wish the icons/fonts on the switches were larger and easier to read.

Happy travels
Old 12-07-2019, 04:45 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bi-focals....
Old 12-07-2019, 06:05 PM   #5

Got em, but you still have to take your eyes off the road and refocus.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:25 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Since I bought my first DP in 2005, with a Smartwheel, I always hated that the headlights came on and stayed on if you used the wipers for any reason. If I just wanted a single swipe, or a wash, the headlights and running lights would come on and could ONLY be turned off by turning off and restarting the coach.

I know this is a safety feature and law in many states, but I wish they would let you cycle the headlight switch to turn the lights off if it wasn't raining. I just don't like driving down the road, during the day, with all the lights on, including the toad.

Well......since they moved the light switch off of the steering wheel in the 2019 Dutch Star, with a Freightliner (don't know about Spartan), you can now cycle the headlight light switch and it will turn all the lights off, after using the wipers. So....if your headlight switch is no longer on the steering wheel, give the above a try.

Not the post of the century, but it's raining and there's nothing new on the boards.
On my Freightliner chassis the headlight switch is on the dash and the lights stay on until you restart the coach.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:33 AM   #7
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On my 2017 Freightliner if the headlights come on because of the wipers, I turn on the headlights with the switch on the dash and then turn the headlight switch off. The headlights do go off as Don mentioned above.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:05 PM   #8

On our 2019 DS Spartan chassis, the headlights come on with the wipers but will go back off when you turn off the wipers.
Knoxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 03:07 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I don't know what year they took the headlights off of the Smartwheel, it may have been in 2018. My post stated that on my 2019 Freightliner with the switch on the dash, you can now turn the lights off by cycling the switch. It was a nice find for me, but I can't tell you what other year, model and chassis coaches will do. I know that my other two coaches and most built over the years with a Smartwheel, the lights stayed on when the wipers were used.

The point of the post was to try yours and see what happens, it may not work the same as mine.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:22 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I don't know what year they took the headlights off of the Smartwheel, it may have been in 2018. My post stated that on my 2019 Freightliner with the switch on the dash, you can now turn the lights off by cycling the switch. It was a nice find for me, but I can't tell you what other year, model and chassis coaches will do. I know that my other two coaches and most built over the years with a Smartwheel, the lights stayed on when the wipers were used.

The point of the post was to try yours and see what happens, it may not work the same as mine.

2018 Spartan has a switch on the dash below the E Brake knob. It Also has a headlamp and clearance light flash buttons on the smart wheel.

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:59 PM   #11

Spartan Chassis
And here’s ANOTHER odd anomaly for ya...

On my SPARTAN ‘19 DS, I found out that if you have the engine off, but turn the headlights on HIGH BEAM, the dash will COME ON AND A WARNING BEEPER will sound with a display telling you HIGH BEAMS ARE ON!

What the??? What good is that warning, and why only the high’s?

You’d think this stuff is programmed in China!!

CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
headlight, light