Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #1

SMI Air Force One brake system

SMI advertises their toad brake system as being transferrable to other than the toad for which it was originally purchased. Is the coach portion of the SMI system also transferrable from one motorhome to another or, is the coach portion, specific only to the chassis for which it was originally purchased?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2013, 01:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drilldoc View Post
SMI advertises their toad brake system as being transferrable to other than the toad for which it was originally purchased. Is the coach portion of the SMI system also transferrable from one motorhome to another or, is the coach portion, specific only to the chassis for which it was originally purchased?
I'm on the third coach and second toad for my AF1. Of course you have to return the previous vehicle to almost original condition, so parts you added need to be removed and ports covered/wires taped etc..
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Pigman sounds like he has your answer.
Here is their web site and you can contact them.
There is also more info in QT's 1 & 2 on how they work with other braking systems link.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
I'm on the third coach and second toad for my AF1. Of course you have to return the previous vehicle to almost original condition, so parts you added need to be removed and ports covered/wires taped etc..
Thanks for your response. I recently sold a Blue Bird Wanderlodge which has the AF One system. The buyer liked the system so I left it on the coach but kept the toad part of the system which is installed on my Jeep. The buyer puchased a complete AF1 system (both the toad portion and the coach portion) but installed only the toad part of the system on his Ford Edge since the Blue Bird already has the coach part of the system. He asked if I would like to have the SMI One coach portion of the SMI system for my Newmar Mountain Aire. Even though both coaches have diesel engines and air suspension systems, I am not sure if the coach part of his AF One system, which is new and has never been installed, would work on just any motorhome chassis. The coach I now have is a Newmar with a Freightliner chassis and my previous coach was a Blue Bird Wanderlodge on a Blue Bird chassis. I will call SMI to see what they say but my guess is the coach part of the SMI brake system will not be compatible with another chassis brand.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drilldoc View Post
Thanks for your response. I recently sold a Blue Bird Wanderlodge which has the AF One system. The buyer liked the system so I left it on the coach but kept the toad part of the system which is installed on my Jeep. The buyer puchased a complete AF1 system (both the toad portion and the coach portion) but installed only the toad part of the system on his Ford Edge since the Blue Bird already has the coach part of the system. He asked if I would like to have the SMI One coach portion of the SMI system for my Newmar Mountain Aire. Even though both coaches have diesel engines and air suspension systems, I am not sure if the coach part of his AF One system, which is new and has never been installed, would work on just any motorhome chassis. The coach I now have is a Newmar with a Freightliner chassis and my previous coach was a Blue Bird Wanderlodge on a Blue Bird chassis. I will call SMI to see what they say but my guess is the coach part of the SMI brake system will not be compatible with another chassis brand.
The system is generic to any chassis and any toad. The only incompatibility you might see might be caused by the RV portion being of their old style and the toad being obviously their new. About 3-5 (?) years ago they did change how they did things and there was a change in the hardware. Regardless, SMI is the place to check with. I talked to them a few months back and they assured me they had a full supply of spares for the old setup, and of course, for the new. If you do have two different generations, you might be able to get them to sell you the parts to complete either setup. Obviously, the cheaper of the two.

I wouldn't hesitate to use either the old or the new. Both systems are nothing less than outstanding. We've probably got about 98,000 tow miles on our older model, and the only failure we experienced was when the air actuating cylinder cable on the toad failed at the firewall clamp. The edge of the clamp was sharp and cut the cable. As I recall, I sent the cylinder back to SMI and they replaced the cable and returned it in less than 2 weeks. Less than $35, including postage. It doesn't get better than that.

Good luck.

PS: on rereading your post I realized I got it backwards. The coach has the new and the toad may have the old system. Comments still apply---sorry I got it backwards. Old age or something (LOL)
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:12 AM   #6

I contacted SMI and was told the coach portion of the system is also a universal chassis fit which is nice since the chassis portion was given to me by the guy who bought my old coach. And I agree that the SMI folks are great to work with.

Tags
brake