Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2022, 07:21 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
I carry Auto Socks that fit my drive tires on my coach as well as the towed. I hope to never need to use them. They are much easier to put on and take off than chains and you still need to be below 30 MPH when they are on. If it is required by law then it is there. Agree with avoiding snow if you can. coach tires are not made for anything but pavement.
Safe travels.
2020 Tahoe LT
mahdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2022, 08:29 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
There is no way I would attempt using chains on our DS. There is not enough clearance between the outer dual and the body for chains.
I agree I don't think I have enough clearance on my MADP to install or run chains or socks. I would try a sample piece of chain. to see if it will hit. I can't get my fingers in so not going to try.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 08:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDEBILL308 View Post
I agree I don't think I have enough clearance on my MADP to install or run chains or socks. I would try a sample piece of chain. to see if it will hit. I can't get my fingers in so not going to try.
Bill
Are you guys looking at your coaches aired down? I would think there is clearance when aired up, right?
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 09:52 PM   #18

You should read each state's info on chains/snow socks. Here is California's:
https://dot.ca.gov/travel/winter-dri...n-requirements
Regardless of use, you should be carrying them and know how to use them. If you don't want to use them then be prepared to monitor weather closely and stop driving. We got caught in southern Idaho one May and I'd never want a repeat of trying to drive a RV in a snow storm.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 10:36 PM   #19

Just an FYI- some northeastern states don't recognize snow socks as a legitimate chain alternative on heavy vehicles. The same may apply to other states.
Suburbazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 07:11 AM   #20

I’d rather not drive in winter conditions in an RV if at all possible. I’m fortunate enough to be retired, so I’m in no hurry. If conditions force me to spend an extra night or two in one location, then so be it. I recently experienced this driving from Arizona to Colorado. A winter storm pushed across northern New Mexico and made a mess of Raton Pass. I waited it out for a couple of days in Albuquerque and crossed the pass when it was clear.

That said, I agree that it’s a good idea to carry chains if there’s a chance that you’ll encounter a winter storm.
Old 12-04-2022, 08:59 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have Auto Socks not Snow socks, my mistake.
Old 12-04-2022, 12:26 PM   #22

Spartan Chassis
I have snow socks for my tires. I have never used them on snow, but used them in wet grass where the tires just wanted to spin and they worked great. I know one guy who used them in mud as well.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 03:03 PM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to Free2Go
Chains in Oregon

Chains are required to be carried over passes in Oregon since November 1. The last time I went I-5 in the winter I picked up chains for the coach and carrried them over a sunny clear pass. I sold them back to Les Schwab who asked me if I had chains for my towed vehicle...I told them "no", and they told me they were required also...just as info.
Free2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 03:53 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrwinddancer View Post
Howdy, I may need to travel from Phoenix AZ up to Remond OR. I plan to go 99 to I5 to Weed then 97 over to Redmond. The trip would be early Jan 2023. I am concerned about weather and possible snow. So looking for input on snow chains. I have never used them on any vehicle let alone on a 40,000 pound coach. Would be on a 2020 DS 4081. Thanks in advance.
We live in there: They are required to be carried in Oregon from November - April. We use tire sock as they weigh nothing and easy to store. Have not needed them but we do get a ton of snow and going up to Weed can get good dumps of snow and ice.
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 04:56 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Check out On Spot tire chains.
bklaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 06:18 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklaes View Post
Check out On Spot tire chains.

The problem with OnSpot is that on coaches, the underside cabinets interfere with their stow positions. This requires very expensive custom fitment. Considering the base installed price of OnSpot before custom work is north of $3500 per axle, it's cheaper to run manual chains.
Suburbazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 07:22 PM   #27

I would avoid tire chains on a coach at all times! The drive tires don't have adequate clearance for chains & you break a cross section you'll do $$$$$ of damage to the wheel well, wheel fenders in a New York Nano second.

I also won't drive on compacted snow or ice- sit & wait until the roads are clear.

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 07:26 PM   #28

My vote goes to Auto Socks. We carry two sets for front and back (for stopping).
But I'm responding about the route, We always go up to Reno and cut across to Shasta there's virtually no pass going across to Shasta.
We did that once in January years ago and once in early February 2017 and never saw any snow.
Two sets of Auto Socks take up about as much space as a case of beer and weighs about the same.

dick