Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2019, 11:33 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Question So you upgraded to a higher level Newmar...

We all dreamer of bigger and better. I was at Gaffney a week ago and there was an absolutely gorgeous 2019 MADP there (yes, on FL), paint scheme is white with black, red, gold accents. Keep your doors locked and hide the keys!

So I wonder though, for those that have changed models such as upgrading to a higher line coach, how does it feel inside after time in other words does it really feel much different? Reason I ask is the living space seems the same on most of the Newmars. If you went with a longer coach then that's on the arse end typically, aft of the bedroom is where those gains are. We all seem to have the same sofa, dinette, kitchen living area, obviously with varied floor plans.

Do you notice much difference when at the CG and living in your upgraded coach? Does it all feel the same in the end? What are you noticing different, likes or dislikes between your prior and current coach?

Someday I'd consider something new but I have a feeling I'd really regret letting go of the old.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2019, 12:41 PM   #2

Neal,
First I would like to say thanks for all the good information you have passed along on the forum. I don't see how you find the time to post as much as you do.

I upgraded from a Baystar 3124 which I absolutely loved. There was plenty of room for me and my wife in the Baystar. I purchased a used 2016 Ventana 3725. The folks that owned it before me kept absolutely perfect care of it. The reason I upgraded was for the quietness of a diesel pusher and the Newmar comfort drive. You are right, the front area does not get much more roomier when you get a longer coach. Mine is a 37 ' model and it is just perfect for me and my wife. I will say all the Newmars in the luxury class are great but you get into parking space problems, and even have trouble getting diesel sometimes if you don't plan way ahead. Plus higher upkeep and maintenance costs. My vote is I would stay with your current coach. I am sure it is a beautiful coach.

JMcG
2016 Ventana 3725
JMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 12:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
We all dreamer of bigger and better. I was at Gaffney a week ago and there was an absolutely gorgeous 2019 MADP there (yes, on FL), paint scheme is white with black, red, gold accents. Keep your doors locked and hide the keys!

So I wonder though, for those that have changed models such as upgrading to a higher line coach, how does it feel inside after time in other words does it really feel much different? Reason I ask is the living space seems the same on most of the Newmars. If you went with a longer coach then that's on the arse end typically, aft of the bedroom is where those gains are. We all seem to have the same sofa, dinette, kitchen living area, obviously with varied floor plans.

Do you notice much difference when at the CG and living in your upgraded coach? Does it all feel the same in the end? What are you noticing different, likes or dislikes between your prior and current coach?

Someday I'd consider something new but I have a feeling I'd really regret letting go of the old.
We just got our 2019 Dutchstar 3717 replacing our 2015 Ventana 3436. Very happy with the upgrade. The power and ride (with the independent front suspension) are great. Also love the all electric with the solar. You're right about the living space, about the same. We are fond of the King size bed. About the only thing I miss is the Euro Dinette (doesn't fit in our floor plan but the roll out table that seats 4 works fine.
b8t34u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:04 PM   #4

Am not a Newmar owner yet! But contemplating a MA. Mostly because it has all I have now just in 40 ft. The larger engine and more HP is a plus, but not a necessity for me.
Coming from a 32 ft to our current 43 coach has been wonderful with the extra space and better ride.
Really bought more coach than I had budgeted for, but got a great deal on it used. My perfect coach would be a pre ‘20 model Ventana 40 ft. Without the Girard awnings. But with independent front suspension, diesel fired Oasis with engine preheat loop and a better view from the drivers seat. All the other items you get on Dutch Star and up(more HP, larger fuel, awnings) just isn’t something I care much about.
Saying that, I do sometimes miss my smaller and simpler to operate 32 footer.
Am sure we will trade in a year or so, just unsure whether it will be ‘up or down’!
SAS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:43 PM   #5

Yes there is a difference. We went from a Bay Star 3124 to a Ventana 4037. Larger living area with opposing slides. Recliners, televator TV. Outside TV. Just made it more livable. Also all electric. No more propane. Residential refrigerator makes a big difference too. All in all, we love the bigger rig.
PaulTNaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 02:44 PM   #6
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
As you know, Neal, we upgraded from a 2014 Ventana LE 3436 to a 2018 Mountain Aire 4047. For us, the additional six feet provided a king bed, much larger (and nicer) rear bathroom, additional mid-bath and a floor plan arrangement that was set up exactly like we wanted. And, we ordered some niceties in options and specials that were the icing on the cake for us.

Then, there's the driveability. The longer wheelbase and addition of a tag axle...plus 160 more horsepower...makes the coach drive and ride much better than the shorter Ventana LE. And, the Hadley air ride smooths things out even more.

Yep...we are glad we upgraded! That said, we really don't feel the need to upgrade again.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:46 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Our previous mh was a 36’ Alpine. Would climb absolutely any hill at 55+ pulling our Wrangler. Handled like a sports car. It was a rocket and I loved it! That being said, it had only two slides, a queen bed, one small bath and somewhat low ceilings.
When the DW saw the 4018 DS she fell in love. At least half again the living square footage, 1&1/2 baths and a king bed. Beautiful coach! And I have to say, with the tag, it handles pretty darn well for a coach that weighs almost twice what the Alpine weighed. If the Alpine was a sports car, the DS is a Lexus SUV. For a trip of any duration, the SUV wins hands down for comfort and convenience and still handles pretty darn well.
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:03 PM   #8

Came from a Baystar to the DS. Was thinking of upgrading, but "better the devil you know than the one you don't" kicked in. That and the fact that I'm not too enamoured with the newer front ends.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:17 AM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
When we went from our 36' Monaco Diplomat DP, to the 40' Dutch Star in 2014, it wasn't so much about the extra length or just getting a new vehicle. We were sitting at Tom Lindstroms desk with pen in hand, ready to sign on the dotted line for a brand new 2014 Ventana. The Ventana was pretty much a direct replacement for the Diplomat in terms of components and luxury.

We've been RVing for over 40 years with many different RV's. There were many things that I REALLY wanted in a new coach, one we thought might be our last. That included, tag axle, IFS, power bay locks, hydronic heating and a side radiator. There were other small items, but those were my biggies. As I sat there holding the pen, I realized I was compromising from what I really wanted and waited years to get. I'm not criticizing the Ventana, but it was the same as what I was trading in. I decided for another $200 or so a month, I wasn't going to settle and bought what I had always wanted.

Now does the Dutch Star feel that much different from the Ventana when sitting inside and watching TV, sleeping or eating dinner, probably not. What does feel different is the fact that all the things I wanted in a coach and made me HAPPY, I got. That was the difference. Do they both run down the road any different, probably not, but things like the hydronic heating, IFS side radiator and even power bay doors makes life better and simpler for me as an RVer. The only let down was the new façades on the 2015's after we took delivery of our 2014. I always thought that the facades made any coach look VERY high end.

When we ordered the 2019, I took what I wanted to another level. This time we were going to be able to fix the things we didn't like in the 2014, like the dark colors, the uncomfortable "L" shaped sofa, and few more electronic items that really make life easier, like the automatic water tank refill, the newer SaniCon, better HDMI distribution system, all electric with more batteries and a few items that I had the factory installed while the coach was being built, like the satellite dish so I wouldn't have to add it aftermarket and try and route cabling. PLUS the sidewall facades and Girard awnings were icing on the cake.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:07 AM   #10

going from gasser to a pusher is a big jump up....

going from a single rear axle pusher to a tag pusher is a big jump up.....

going from a solid front axle to IFS is a big jump up.....

i have done all these moves.....and noticed and appreciated all the big, and little, improvements....

IMHO, the MA is about the end of the line when it comes to noticing the big differences....from the DS to the MA (loaded DS to loaded MA, mind you), there are many big differences.....then from MA up to KA it is more about luxury, creature comforts, styling, floorplan, etc etc....yes you go from 500HP to 605HP, but the power to weight ratio is fairly similar.....you're not making those moves, again, greatly generalizing, because you are lacking.....you are making them for other reasons.....good reasons, from the perspective of the buyer, but for many, those reasons are lost on them....

if your ventana is not loaded up....then going to a loaded 40' DS would be a massive move up....tire size, tag, and IFS alone are alot, let alone all the other things you would get...the ride and handling would be very different from what you have....even from a loaded ventana to a loaded DS, there is a big difference, just like from a loaded DS to a loaded MA.....but the law of diminishing returns begins to kick in after the MA.....again, greatly generalizing, IMHO, all the usual codicils, et etc.....and i think that is your question...where does that begin to kick in.....
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:29 PM   #11

Neal, We had the exact MH you had. I bought it and had it for about 18 months and the upgrade bug hit me. After driving Tiffin's for 12 years I always said one day I would have a Bus. Well I found something better than a bus. We bought a 2019 Dutch Star 4369 and yes there is a big difference in the upgrade. Since I am 71 I decided that I didn't know how much longer I could do this so we made the change. The DW and I are in love with everything about it except the fact that the kitchen side is not working now. (Another story). If anyone can swing the money difference I highly recommend a upgrade. Bill
taratiffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 04:28 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
It's funny as this is interpreted as me wanting to buy something...okay, who doesn't, but no, I feel I just completed my VTDP and am ready to start enjoying it. A year of warranty shake down, two years of upgrades from solar, boogey lights LED lighting and underglow, HWH Active Air, the long list goes on. I like others am looking at coaches all the time and I see the very same living area. I have the King bed, I have tag axle, etc. so these changes are more subtle to me. I don't personally believe going from a Ventana 4037 to a DS of the same would be significant. Personal opinions. There are things I greatly enjoy on my VTDP from being able to get on the roof, not having a side radiator and enjoying the storage (I go to Gaffney annually for service), and the simplicity and reliability of the non tech systems. I think 40ft coach is about as much as I want to deal with, it is stressful everytime I go somewhere dealing with fuel stops, parking, doing my best to not have to unhook from getting into someplace I shouldn't be which I was really good at the first year! I've been to many parks where 40ft was the max, we adapt to what we have. I wouldn't know of the 40ft max size if I didn't have one, I'd fine CG's with 43 or 45 max size if that's what I had.

One day I'm looking at Essex, then I see an absolutely gorgeous MADP and want that, 4018...do I want to deal with a 45er? Do I need to spend so much more on another 40ft coach when it's nearly identical forward of the bedroom. Newmar just doesn't make the models that different between the DP lines.

Hence my question here is what are people noticing when they go to something new? I realize some that have smaller size beds/baths, etc. or non tag to tag see the differences. I'm really just asking about forward of the bedroom.

Regardless, a new coach is a great experience (usually) and for that reason alone I will probably do it again someday. Can my VTDP suit me for the rest of my life? Yeah, I think so. I think it's an amazing coach and I've mod'd it up to high line features so I don't need to spend 200-400K more to get those niceties.

I'm just thinking out loud and soliciting the experience of others that either thought these thoughts or pursued them and rotated coaches. If I could get something new and keep my payments where they are now, I'd consider it but would I really feel much of a difference in the end? I can tell you I'm now more relieved and settled into mine and going through that "new MH process" is exhausting, granted, as my first MH there was a lot of learning involved as well in all of these complex systems.

Fun fun....always fun looking and dreaming.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 04:53 PM   #13

Great stuff here.

We are on our stater coach, a 2007 Essex 4502, and we want to upgrade to a New Aire 3645
KiteSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:05 PM   #14

So, we made the jump from our second travel trailer to a DS4362, under the thought of “buy your last RV first.” Well, it wasn’t exactly our first RV, but it was a big jump to the motorhome.

While we love the Dutch Star, I’m guessing in a few years we may want a newer model—just depends on what new features come along. For example, I like the digital dashboard, the 360 Birdseye view (which I could have special ordered, doggone it) and a few cosmetic things like custom paint, and perhaps more electronic items. We might even get a smaller coach like a New Aire if we keep a stocks/bricks home.

So, to upgrade or not? I would say I have no reason to do so as our current coach is superb. But, I’m guessing the temptation will come in time, especially when new features come along. Give me five years!
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
LeslieGary is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, upgrade