Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2021, 07:49 PM   #1

Solar devices to keep chassis and house batteries fill

We store our Newmar 4018 Dutch Star in a covered area where I could get some sun from the southern sky to keep batteries topped off. Even though I turn off both cut off switches, I the house batteries seem to have some sort of drawn and their level slowly drops. What brand of device do you use and where do you connect them. I have read that the positive and negative should be hooks up so the current enters one battery and flow through all the batteries before reaching the negative terminal. I have thought a small panel on the dash would catch the winter sun and keep the batteries charged. Is there a maximum length of wire that can be used? What have you done? I am not an electrician and would be grateful for any advice. Thanks in advance.
skippy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2021, 08:36 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
A 100-200 watt system should be plenty to keep the batteries charged with everything turned off. You can buy a system as a kit or make your system. Either way, you need the panel(s) and a solar controller.

You might want to see if you can place the panels at the edge of your covered storage where they get good sun. When you leave on a trip, cover them or put them in a a dark area.

You could mount the controller in the coach, near the batteries, then run wires with a quick connect to the panel(s).

Here is a good place to get a reasonably priced system (below).

You may also want to think about portable solar that comes in a suitcase style or rolls up. This way you could take it with you and use it while camping.

https://www.windynation.com/-Polycrystalline-Solar-Kits
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 08:49 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
The first thing I would do is get an amp meter an turn everything off you would for storage. Then measure how much parasitic draw is on it.

Size your solar panels based on how many watts/amps you could collect back into the batteries in the time your panels would be in the sun.

As far as length you can run cables, your charge controller should be as close to the batteries as possible. The wires from the solar panels can be longer, as they carry more volts and less amps for the same amount of watts.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, chassis, house batteries, solar