Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2015, 07:27 AM   #1

Solar, EMS, Compost toilets

Hello All,

I’ve been lurking for awhile now but it’s time to introduce myself. I’m TJ and my DW and I will be graduating to our new 2017 (I think) Canyon Star 3953 (If still available). We’ll both be retiring and selling the b&s in CT and heading south. I’m originally from Texas so it looks like that will be our domicile state. DW has relatives in Maryland and Connecticut so we will probably split out time between those places and have one or two excursions cross country per year.

I’m researching (obsessed is a better description) and learning as much as i can about the coach and the lifestyle before the purchase. I have a few questions and would appreciate any and all info.

1. Solar - again. We will have the residential refrigerator and will add solar to supplement/compliment the gen when boondocking. If I get the AGM batteries can I put the charge controller in the same bay as the batteries or should I place it in an adjacent bay?

2. Newmar has a EMS system by PCS. Does it do the same thing as the EMS-HW50C by Progressive Industries?

3. Does anyone use or have an opinion about compost toilets?

Thanks

TJ
TJ911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2015, 08:16 AM   #2

TJ, First, WELCOME.
1/ In my 2014 Ventana the 2K Magnum inverter is in the bay behind the batteries up between the frame rails. I put my solar controller as close to it as I could and mounted it to a frame rail. I tied the solar controller output to the inverter and thus shared the heavy cables already in place that come from the batteries to the inverter. No sense running another set of cables to the batteries. I did have to mount a pair of 'tie points' to combine the 12 volt outputs and inputs of the inverter, original AGM batteries and two additional AGM batteries I added.
2/ I had the selling dealer add the EMS-HW50C by Progressive Industries before I took delivery. I do not believe that the EMS system by PCS is an equivalent POWER MONITOR as far as protecting the huge amount of electrical devices on the coach from low and high and miswired power or surges. Progressive Industries is my choice EMS-HW50C period.
3/ I can't help you with composting toilets. I don't believe I could get the wife to agree to this. Also we don't dry camp that much. We have a macerator toilet and we do 'flush only when REALLY necessary' when we dry camp for over 2-3 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ911 View Post
Hello All,

I’ve been lurking for awhile now but it’s time to introduce myself. I’m TJ and my DW and I will be graduating to our new 2017 (I think) Canyon Star 3953 (If still available). We’ll both be retiring and selling the b&s in CT and heading south. I’m originally from Texas so it looks like that will be our domicile state. DW has relatives in Maryland and Connecticut so we will probably split out time between those places and have one or two excursions cross country per year.

I’m researching (obsessed is a better description) and learning as much as i can about the coach and the lifestyle before the purchase. I have a few questions and would appreciate any and all info.

1. Solar - again. We will have the residential refrigerator and will add solar to supplement/compliment the gen when boondocking. If I get the AGM batteries can I put the charge controller in the same bay as the batteries or should I place it in an adjacent bay?

2. Newmar has a EMS system by PCS. Does it do the same thing as the EMS-HW50C by Progressive Industries?

Thanks

TJ
Old 02-24-2015, 10:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ911 View Post
Here's a long discussion with an actual RV user of a composting toliet (in a custom camper)
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:47 AM   #4

I can't help with 1 or 3, but can with 2.

They are completely different items. One protects from electrical surges and spikes the does load shedding to keep from overloading a circuit and tripping a breaker.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:27 PM   #5

EMS system by PCS / EMS-HW50C by Progressive Industries

Since they do two different things should I consider both? I think the PCS system is an add-on when configuring your coach, isn't it?

TJ
TJ911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:32 PM   #6

Yes, both are a good idea.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:52 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
Yes, both are a good idea.
This youtube video is a good primer on using a composting toilet in an RV and where they cover most of the FAQs associated to it:

Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:32 PM   #8

Hi TJ,
Yes to No.1 ; since the AGM's are sealed there is no danger to the Controller for corrosion or Ofgassing and sparks so no problem. But the compartment should be sealed well enough from the elements because controllers are not rated for outside use. (danger to moisture, rain, dust, road-salts etc.)

Unsure to No.2 ; I am not sure about Newmar's EMS spec's but I do have the Progressive EMS LCHW-50 and I believe they are very similar.

Very Sure to No.3 ; We recently installed a super modern Swedish "Separett" Compost Toilet and so far we like it, it looks very stylish (unlike the other model they carry YOMD) and it is "plumbed in" on the wet side, meaning to the grey tank, of which we now have 2 (again unlike the other model they cary) and this saves us having to empty the pee container every few days (3-4) now we only have to haul out the dry waste once every 4 to 6 weeks when used by two adults continuous.
Like I said we only installed it this early spring and have used it since but so far we are happy with it, the one 12v (computer)fan that ventilates and dries the poo does a good job keeping the smell from entering the bathroom never mind the Coach! There is of coarse a direct vent from the toilet to the outside driven by this fan which runs continuous, IT JUST WORKS!
No more Black tank boogers.

Regards,

Ed
RVingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar