Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2016, 07:51 PM   #1

Solar for a 2007 Canyon Star

Does anyone have experience with adding a solar kit to a 2007 Canyon Star or similar model and has it been successful?

I'm looking at adding a the Zamp Solar 480watt kit with a 40amp charge controller and 4 Trojan T-105 re batteries. My wife and 2yr old will be travelling full time and I.m optimistic this will be sufficient for us. We both work from computers.

Any help would be appreciated!
AussieRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2016, 08:43 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieRv View Post
Does anyone have experience with adding a solar kit to a 2007 Canyon Star or similar model and has it been successful?

I'm looking at adding a the Zamp Solar 480watt kit with a 40amp charge controller and 4 Trojan T-105 re batteries. My wife and 2yr old will be travelling full time and I.m optimistic this will be sufficient for us. We both work from computers.

Any help would be appreciated!
Generally, "kits" are usually not all that good. Usually the wiring is too light for the application. It is usually better by items individually for your specific need. We have 4 t-105s, a 45 amp MPPT controller, and three 200 watt panels. It works well for us, and unless we get two or more days in a row without sunshine, we seldom use the generator.

Beside the items you get with the kit, another necessity is a battery monitor such as this; TriMetric Model Descriptions, Present and Past - Bogart Engineering

If you would like to learn more about solar here are a couple of good resources:

https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/

RV Electrical
Old 05-13-2016, 09:06 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
480W with the 4 T105 batteries will probably be OK. We're a family of four with loads of electronic devices, a CPAP machine and an inverter than runs 24/7 for a residential fridge. We have 400AH of LiFePO4 batteries and about 700W of solar. On nights we don't run the heat, in the AM the batteries are down about 100-150AH. On a recent trip to DC we stayed at Greenbelt National Park's campground in partially shaded conditions and the batteries were topped off around 2-3PM every day. In full sun they top off before Noon. During colder weather when we need to run the heat the batteries are drained more, about 200-250AH, and with the weak winter sun may be topped off by sunset or we will run the genny.

If you can avoid running an inverter 24/7 that would be a huge savings. Ours takes 3A just to run, so over 24 hours that's 72AH! Note some of this time it is being powered by the panels, of course.

BTW, I agree with PJStough, the kits will generally not have heavy enough wire, etc. I used Handy Bob's advice extensively when I designed my system, except for the part where he wanted 12V panels and PWM controllers. The 24V panels with MPPT controllers turned out to be cheaper overall, especially as I sourced the panels from Sun Electronics, who consistently have the cheapest panels per watt.

also an energy monitor is a must, PJStough mentioned the Bogart Engineering brand, I've used the Bogart 2020, an old Xantrax Link 2000 system and now a Blue Sky Energy IPN Pro remote that links with my charge controllers and would recommend any one of them.

Here, here and here are a few posts on my system you might be interested in. PM me if you want more details on how I installed the panels on the roof.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:22 PM   #4

I appreciate both replies and will take it all on board. So much to read & learn! I will endeavor to read your previous posts and will certainly PM you if I have any questions. Thanks!
AussieRv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar