Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2019, 01:15 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Newmar had installed 2 Interstate group 24 batteries on a rack next to the chassis battery on the passenger side in front of the radiator, the latest Bay Stars may be different. I needed to bring the power from the 800AH coach battery bank to the area where the Interstate batteries had been, so 2 4/0 cables for +/- were run to new posts in front of the radiator. This enabled connecting everything Newmar had connected to the Interstates to be connected to the battery bank. Newmar's wiring for the coach 12 volt power remained intact; the Bay Star now had 6 times the power from an 800AH battery bank 15' away. The compartment with the non-corrosive, no hydrogen emitting AGM batteries and controller stuff is still clean 7.5 years later. Plus, the AGMs can operate in hotter and colder conditions than lithium batteries can.

Solar panels -- I thought about combiners, switches, etc. and realized that every junction enabled a small loss of power. So, I used only Mitsubishi's panel connectors between 3 panels, and fuses in the wiring. This enabled the 6 gage Newmar solar power wire (a Special at that time) to bring 24.5 amps at 30 to 33 volts DC to the Outback controller. The Mitsubishi monocrystal panels (8.18 amp rating each) have produced up to 27 amps on clear, sunny, mid-summer days. The Outback solar panel controller can sync its output voltage to the Onan generator and I have seen, the BMK report via the ARC-50 diaplay, as much as 160 amps going into the 800AH battery bank.

You will have to download and read the installation and user manuals to understand how to do things correctly and properly program your installation for your desired use of the motorhome. I boondock 98% of the time and forsee 12 years of service before I need to touch the system for replacement batteries.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2019, 02:09 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Some before photos:

The sat antenna in the middle of the roof had to be moved. A stud finder located the 1x1 tubing Newmar install to hold up the 3/8 plywood before installing the EPDM(rubber) or fiberglass roof.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0089.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	258207

Location of the Newmar installed coach battery bank on my Bay Star.

Name:	IMG_0111.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	278.7 KB
ID:	258208

Bring a tape measure and find the compartment with space to contain the battery bank and controllers, etc. Mine was just forward of the fresh water tank on the passenger side.

Name:	IMG_1697.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	258209

What 4/0 cable looks like, it was expensive but has the capacity required to handle the Magnum MS2812 surge current. I can run the microwave, and coffee pot at the same time and by glancing at the ARC-50 I can see if the inverter is about to be overloaded.

Name:	IMG_0154.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	258210

I also installed a Progressive EWS- HW50C surge suppressor post transfer switch and the remote in the panel above the entry door to be able to monitor both the 50 amp current from a power pedestal and the generator's power.

The inverter also powers the 120 volt AC heat pad under the water tank.

There are lots of places that will install a cheap system composed of the cheapest parts and designed to maximize the profit of the installer. Ask the installer for a guarantee that their work will provide to the battery bank power within 3% +/- of the panels rated capacity.

You have to study the current market to identify the best stuff for your great Newmar motorhome if you want to get the most quality for your money. I thought in 2012 that nothing was too good for my special ordered Bay Star and set about determining what I had to do to make it equal or exceed a standard Mountain Aire (which I couldn't afford and exceeded my 30' max length I wanted for boondocking). Make a spread sheet and write up your requirements and shop for an installer that will meet your requirements for work you do not want to do yourself. I surprised several who were used to customers looking for the cheapest system versus the best system currently available and willing to pay for it.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 09:48 PM   #17

That was nice of you to take the time and provide some really good information. Thanks.

Plan is to be a boondocker myself. Am waiting to order the 2021 (lol) model because of the Ford-53 chassis upgrade. Going to the upcoming Hershey RV show in Penn with my tape measure...will come away with some more knowledge.

Am hoping I can get a special with the travler being moved forward for the same reason...rather have the real estate for a few solar panels right from the get go

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, solar