RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2019, 12:28 PM   #1

Solar install on a 2020 Bay Star...

Going to the Hershey show in a few weeks (missed last years because of hurricane) and will be bring my measuring tape...lol. Although they will not have my model (3401) at the show was wondering how any other Bay Star owners installed solar on top, inverter/charger, ME-ARC, AGS and 4 or 5 battle born batteries.

Given it will be a new build any suggestions on specials regarding such a set would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2019, 12:31 PM   #2

I took my 2015 BSS to AM Solar in Oregon for the install, they did a phenomenal job very well thought out installation, the walkthrough of the panels and everything took longer than the walkthrough for my rig itself.

Old 08-21-2019, 01:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
I took my 2015 BSS to AM Solar in Oregon for the install, they did a phenomenal job very well thought out installation, the walkthrough of the panels and everything took longer than the walkthrough for my rig itself.
LOL...I am getting a factory delivery so I hope it was less than a week

Just curious what type of inverter did you get (Thinking myself 3000 something Magnum hybrid).

Most interested in where did you put the inverter/charger, batteries and if you have a wiring chart from them showing how it was wired. Plan on having my entire 120v coach ( 1 bedroom ac with soft start) running off the inverter from the panel with at least 900-1100w on top in two strings.

What is your set-up?

Daniel
Old 08-21-2019, 09:32 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I didn't know what type of system I was going to install so went with 2 solar preps which worked out perfect. If your going to keep lithiums in the same location as factory I would ask about having the battery compartment sealed like the outer bays. You can insulate it yourself very easy. Mine was not easy to seal the door from the outside heat and cold.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:48 PM   #5

I think ours is a 3000 watt, I know it's a pure sine inverter, and has enough power to run our Nespresso and our toaster, only things it doesn't run is the microwave and the A/C. It's installed in the same location as the original factory units which had a separate inverter and battery charger this is both in one, I believe it's a Magnum.

Experience from friends and from seeing on this board is that factory installed solar wiring is rarely the correct gauge and they've always had to replace it.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:43 AM   #6

We also went to AM Solar in Eugene, OR. The work is very neat and complete. We highly recommend them.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:13 AM   #7

We've got 2 150 watt panels on the roof. We can fit two more but we'll move the existing two for more optimal positioning. I think we can fit more but some will likely be shaded depending on what angle we park at.

We've got three Battle Born batteries in the bay behind the battery tray. Moved them inside to protect from the elements and low temps. That's 300 usable amp hours, slightly less than six golf cart batteries will provide and plenty of most folks but more is always better.

We didn't swap out our inverters or charger. We may someday and replace with a bigger inverter charger that can run the MW and power some outlets. We'll add more solar first. No sense adding the capability to use more Ah if we can't replace them efficiently.

For the record, the 3 Battle Born batteries and all the necessary equipment to make them work ran us about $3500. That doesn't include our solar which was installed at the dealer and I did all the work myself. I'd guess a prefessionally installed system like you describe will cost well over $10,000 and maybe as much as $15,000.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:00 PM   #8

We have 2017 Baystar 3124. Propane Fridge though custom built with the battery tray with 4 Lifeline agm batteries.installed . We installed 4 180 watt panels on roof in series / parallel with a 50 amp Victron Controller . We can charge our system in about 2 hours of sunlight a day and never dropped below 70% of available amperage . 220 amps usable.. we also have a a trimetric and shunt installed that is a must to manage usage . I am estimating entire system with the 4 batteries is about 8k Installed. We dry camp a lot. Actually just got back from Alaska and didn’t plug in for 24 days straight and never started the generator. The propane fridge is critical as the residential draws a lot of amps. Currently dry camping just out side of Zion for the last 5 days ...
REVJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 06:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan McMartin View Post
We've got 2 150 watt panels on the roof. We can fit two more but we'll move the existing two for more optimal positioning. I think we can fit more but some will likely be shaded depending on what angle we park at.

We've got three Battle Born batteries in the bay behind the battery tray. Moved them inside to protect from the elements and low temps. That's 300 usable amp hours, slightly less than six golf cart batteries will provide and plenty of most folks but more is always better.

We didn't swap out our inverters or charger. We may someday and replace with a bigger inverter charger that can run the MW and power some outlets. We'll add more solar first. No sense adding the capability to use more Ah if we can't replace them efficiently.

For the record, the 3 Battle Born batteries and all the necessary equipment to make them work ran us about $3500. That doesn't include our solar which was installed at the dealer and I did all the work myself. I'd guess a prefessionally installed system like you describe will cost well over $10,000 and maybe as much as $15,000.

Hey Dan...my plan is to put the inverter/charger, solar charger. AGS etc in the bay next to the battery tray....what do you have now where your Batt tray was?

Sort of like the RV Geeks, I plan...not sure exactly at this point....to leave the battery tray and enclose it for the Battle Borns...hopefully 4 of them. Will be measuring the roof real estate for panels at the Hersey show in a few weeks. Also want as much pre-wire as possible as specials...2 solar preps for sure.

Will be getting the RV ref and so my plan is to run the entire coach at the breaker panel with me being in charge instead of an energy management system Sort of like this:

Daniel
Old 08-25-2019, 09:44 PM   #10

The battery tray is empty as of now. Our solar controller is across the rig in the bay behind the door. That's where Newmar ran our solar wires. I have some big 2/0 wires running across to the batteries.

I could easily move my batteries back to the tray since I put all the cables on bus bars and only one positive and negative goes to the batteries. Enclosing the tray, however would take some work. it's open on the side, the back, the bottom and the top. You'd kind of have to build a box around the tray.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:37 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvlegaleagle View Post
Going to the Hershey show in a few weeks (missed last years because of hurricane) and will be bring my measuring tape...lol. Although they will not have my model (3401) at the show was wondering how any other Bay Star owners installed solar on top, inverter/charger, ME-ARC, AGS and 4 or 5 battle born batteries.

Given it will be a new build any suggestions on specials regarding such a set would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
This is my installation. Four Lifeline AGM L16s on 1" plywood above frame rails laying on their 11" side for 800AHs. Magnum 2812, ARC-50, AGS, BMK, and Outback solar controller in front of the compartment. In front of the fresh water tank gave best weight distribution for the almost 700 lbs weight gain. I had to move the DirecTV sat dish to front of coach for best signal seeking if trees around. Mounted 3 solar panels (765 total watts) on a hurricane rated rack mounted on the roof with screws into the 1x1 aluminum roof supports. Had to add an inverter sub-panel for everything but the electric water heater and 2 roof air conditioners. Modified the over the door panel for coach controls. Specials included 1" conduit from battery compartment to cabinet next to the over the door panel. Two 1" conduits from battery compartment to Newmar's 50 amp panel in the bathroom. Used 4/0 cables for all battery, inverter, and new +/- posts in front by the radiator so the Newmar electrical system remained intact. Tossed the Interstate batteries, and the Ford starting battery was replaced with a pair of Lifeline 4CT AGMs so house and chassis had same charging voltages.

See my signature and past posts for more details.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190207_135634.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	305.2 KB
ID:	258130

Name:	20170222_110958.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	258131

Name:	IMG_0138.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	285.1 KB
ID:	258132

Name:	IMG_0139.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	262.1 KB
ID:	258133
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 02:41 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
More photos:

Name:	IMG_0144.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	258134

Name:	IMG_0149.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	241.6 KB
ID:	258135

Name:	DSC01050.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	258136

Name:	DSC01045.jpg
Size:	297.3 KB
ID:	258137

My system has been running trouble free for the past 7 1/2 years, the wiring was finished in neat tied together bundles.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:15 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Final photos:

Name:	20170222_111143.jpg
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	258138

Name:	DSC01043.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	258139

I replaced the Vent/fans with Fantastic 14 speed remote control fans.

Name:	IMG_0148.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	258140

I added powered MCD shades in the cockpit, the 6 switches above the turn and rear camera screen control the sun and night screens. 13 more MCD Platinum DUO manual shades replaced remaining OEM string shades. The Xantrex Link 10 is connected to a shunt that enables me to monitor the chassis batteries too. A glance at it and the ARC-50 display lets me know everything is normal and I can rest easy through the night.

Name:	20170222_112009.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	258141:
Old 08-27-2019, 09:35 AM   #14

"Specials included 1" conduit from battery compartment to cabinet next to the over the door panel. Two 1" conduits from battery compartment to Newmar's 50 amp panel in the bathroom. Used 4/0 cables for all battery, inverter, and new +/- posts in front by the radiator so the Newmar electrical system remained intact."

Thanks for that not sure why you did "new +/- posts in front by the radiator so the Newmar electrical system remained intact."

I will have a wire run from the transfer switch to the inverter and from the bay next to the battery tray to the over the door control panel for the ME-ARC.

How did you fasten the panels to the roof and do you have a combiner box on the roof or below in a bay?

Thanks for your input

Daniel

Tags
install, solar