Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2015, 08:56 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Solar panel repair?....

Well got a call from dealer today.. They wanted to update on my delivery date... He went over a quick list of what was repaired and replaced.. Seemed pretty extensive... But when I asked him about the solar panel repair he stated they do not fix that.. I explained to him or agreement ...Complete PDI . That everything that has a function would be working when I pick up the unit... He seemed to have gotten a little annoyed and told me he would look into it....

Question ..Would this be a hard fix... I don't know what could be wrong with it..(panels are on the roof intact but they appeared to have some condensation..) Not sure how it works all I know is the little red led on the dash isn't lighting up..... Should I push on this? Or just let it slide and fix it myself? Is it a repair nightmare?

Thank you
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2015, 09:02 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Is this a small solar panel that came with the coach as a battery maintainer, or an added larger solar system? If just w battery maintainer I would not worry with it much, as they do a margin job anyway.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:16 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Is this a small solar panel that came with the coach as a battery maintainer, or an added larger solar system? If just w battery maintainer I would not worry with it much, as they do a margin job anyway.

I believe it's the one that came with the coach.. Located above the drivers position.. And there is a red LED next to the 12volt outlet on the dash....

What I don't understand why they won't try to fix it...Im not sure whether it's even broken or not..All I know is that the led wont go on..

Can anyone help me understand how this works and how its wired? Is there a controller? How is the wiring?
Old 05-22-2015, 10:12 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Howdy Speedjester,

I agree with Vince, I would not bother with it as it is more of a marketing thing than actually having real value. That said; I would use it for your negotiations (you didn't get x working but I insist on y being fixed)

In my limited experience, when a dealer says "we'll have everything working" they actually mean something other than what the majority of us think it means. It's actually more along the lines of "we'll begrudgingly attempt to fix anything you notice is not working, we'll complain and grumble and argue with you about cost, if the item is expensive we'll refuse to fix it".
Old 05-22-2015, 11:00 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
From the little information I have.. I would think its an easy fix... Just find it strange.. That they don't want to try and fix this... See they sell two types of used coaches.. One they advertise as it comes with a complete PDI.. ( which one of the ones I purchased) The other is as.. Take note that there "as is "you can make a list of things that need to be fixed and they say "yes or no" ..

He also gave me quit a list of things they replaced ..which I never even knew wasn't working, cord reel, hose real, new steps, new stove, new Tvs , water pump, water filter ,

Only real concern I have are the batteries.. When we pulled the draw out there were several batteries swollen....when I questioned him about it while we were taking ..His reply was.. They load tested them and they were OK... I expressed my concern about the swollen batteries.. But he insisted they were tested..
Old 05-22-2015, 11:01 AM   #6
DJJ

When I bought my DS 2 years ago the red light did not work. I called Newmar and was told it was wired from the roof to the light and then to the starting batteries. They said a small solar panel they used did not need a controller. Found that the panel was working, just a bad light.

Only you can decide whether you want to push the issue. The amount of time I spent finding the right RV at the right price was considerable, so for me I never even mentioned the light not working to the seller.

Jeff
2003 Dutch Star, 3126B Cat.
DJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 02:06 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
QT's # 3 you will find this on small solar panel for chassis battery. end of link.
The other panels would have been installed by original owner or possibly Newmar if you have a voltage regulator on wall inside couch displaying the charge from the solar panels.
If panels are cracked may have got moisture into panels.
Most likely they were attached to the house batteries like the coach I have been working on this pass week for someone.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 02:10 PM   #8

Off hand if the panel is a maintainer I would let it go but I would worry about any bulged battery. Load test or not I would expect expect to be replacement sooner rather than later.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:59 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Bulging batteries is not a good thing. If you were up north It could indicate a freeze up. Whatever the reason The dealer should replace them.

Tags
panel, repair, solar