Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2020, 05:07 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to PHLUSBY Send a message via Yahoo to PHLUSBY
Solar Wiring For 2005 Newmar DSDP Model 4024

I have searched the forum for a few hours to see if this has been addressed anywhere and came up empty, so I am throwing this out to see if anyone has previously wrestled with this issue.
I have a 2005 DSDP (4024) that I am planning to upgrade with solar. My first step is to install a Trimetric 2030 battery monitor to get a good idea on my electricity usage before finalizing the design of my solar system. I already replaced the original absorption refrigerator with a residential frig, so I need to plan for a reasonably robust system if I want to do any boondocking (which I do).
The issue I am trying to sort out is the best routing for wires from the bathroom cabinet (where the main breakers etc. are located) down and over to the battery compartment, initially for the Trimetric's wiring and ultimately for the solar wiring as well. The black tank vent runs up to the roof and down to the basement in a channel on the inboard side of the bathroom, so it seems like a good potential path for the trimetric cabling and later for the (4-6 gauge) wiring for the solar install. My issue concerns the potential routing of those wires down that channel into the basement and across to the battery compartment, and whether that is even possible.
There is no existing way to access the bottom of the channel from the bathroom (if I go this route I will no doubt need to pull the commode and cut an access opening near the floor). The point where the vent pipe goes through the floor into the basement is also concealed on the basement end. When viewed from the basement, I can see that the vent pipe does not drop straight down into the bay, but rather "angles in" at about a 45 degree angle from an inaccessible area aft of the holding tank bay. In other words, I cannot visually confirm in advance where a hole cut in the bathroom floor next to the vent pipe it will come out, and whether after a hole is cut I will be able to fish the wiring down that hole, along the tank vent pipe and into the tank bay.
Before I start cutting access holes I might regret, I wanted to see if anyone has any experience with this issue they can share. Thanks in advance for any assistance any of you can provide.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2020, 06:09 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum.
Within this link are some installations of Solar Systems mostly newer coach's.
Will do a search for you for install in your coach time period for some others.
Here is some info on Solar insulation from big thread sticky, there are others.
Some older coach's the wiring was feed through the rear of the fridge vent area from roof and controls placed on fridge wall or the overhead door area.
Some older coach's may have been pre-wired also.
May find this useful also.
Same people may chime in with other info also.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, solar, wiring