Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2006, 05:25 PM   #1

First, congratulations to all those who have recently purchased the new KSDP!

I'm considering buying a 3511. It's going to be a few months yet before I place an order so I haven't yet gone to a dealer to look at one. I'm not really ready for a salesman to put the "pressure" on me yet. I've done a lot of research over the internet and looked at a lot of pictures.

I really believe that the new KSDP is a good bargain. I don't think there's anything in that price range (in a mid-length, 34-36 foot) that has a side radiator. Everybody I talk to has high praise for Newmar so I'm just about sold on getting a KSDP 3511.

I have some trivial (aka "nit-picky") questions that maybe somebody can answer for me.

1. I notice from pictures that the warning lamps and chassis information display are located below the gauges. Does the steering wheel pose a problem by blocking the view of the warning lamps and information display? I like to have the steering wheel in more of a horizontal orientation because of my previous experience driving old buses. A more vertical (car-like) position seems uncomfortable for me. It appears to me that with the steering wheel in a more horizontal position that the warning lamps and especially the information display will be blocked by the hub or the spokes. Is this the case?

2. When the turn signals are activated, do they give off an audible sound? I sometime tend to leave them on accidentally if they do not make a loud sound when blinking.

3. Is the headlight on/off switch a pull-out/push-in type switch similar to what cars used in the 60's and earlier? I know that Freightliner now uses a rotary-type knob to activate the headlamps the way a lot of car makers now use, but it appears from pictures that Spartan uses the old pull-out/push-in type of switch.

4. Where is the 4-way flasher switch located? How about the ICC switch? Are they a "rocker" type switch?

5. On the exterior of the coach, is see there is an amber marker lamp on each side. It's around mid-ship and maybe 4 feet high. Is this just a marker lamp or does it also serve as a turn signal repeater? In other words, does it blink with the turn signals?

6. Where is the switch located that turns on the "porch light" on the right side of the coach near the door? If it is activated in the driver's compartment, where might it be? I assume that it can be turned on and off while moving?

7. Do the tail/brake lights on the rear cap of the coach have only one lamp for each side? I see that the light assembly (let's use the right one, looking from left to right) has what appears to be a back-up light, turn signal light, what looks like a red reflector, and then the tail/brake light. It looks like the tail/brake light has only one lamp, is the correct? That red reflector looking thing appears to be only a reflector and not a light, is this correct?

8. Have you measured the actual running height of your coach? Newmar's specs state 12' 1" which I assume would take into consideration the air conditioners and the ladder but not the satellite receiver. My garage door is 12' 7" so no matter what, it's going to be a tight fit but I just wondered if you have any first hand knowledge of your height.

The next two questions could pertain to all Newmar coaches.

A. I read that Newmars have a back-up alarm when the transmission is put in reverse, is this correct? If so, is there a simple way to disconnect the alarm?

B. I notice that all Newmars have their left mirror arm positioned to view the mirror out the windshield. So, can the left side (driver side) mirror arm be swinged backward in order to view the mirror from the side window rather than through the windshield? I realize that most prefer to view that mirror through the windshield but again, being an old bus driver, I prefer the see the mirror out the side window. I believe it gives a wider view because of being closer to my eyes. I also know it creates less of a blind spot when making left turns. I realize this will create controversy but all I really wish to find out is if the arm can be swinged backward.

I'd appreciate any responses you can give. Once again, congratulations and pleasant journeys!
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2006, 05:25 PM   #2

First, congratulations to all those who have recently purchased the new KSDP!

I'm considering buying a 3511. It's going to be a few months yet before I place an order so I haven't yet gone to a dealer to look at one. I'm not really ready for a salesman to put the "pressure" on me yet. I've done a lot of research over the internet and looked at a lot of pictures.

I really believe that the new KSDP is a good bargain. I don't think there's anything in that price range (in a mid-length, 34-36 foot) that has a side radiator. Everybody I talk to has high praise for Newmar so I'm just about sold on getting a KSDP 3511.

I have some trivial (aka "nit-picky") questions that maybe somebody can answer for me.

1. I notice from pictures that the warning lamps and chassis information display are located below the gauges. Does the steering wheel pose a problem by blocking the view of the warning lamps and information display? I like to have the steering wheel in more of a horizontal orientation because of my previous experience driving old buses. A more vertical (car-like) position seems uncomfortable for me. It appears to me that with the steering wheel in a more horizontal position that the warning lamps and especially the information display will be blocked by the hub or the spokes. Is this the case?

2. When the turn signals are activated, do they give off an audible sound? I sometime tend to leave them on accidentally if they do not make a loud sound when blinking.

3. Is the headlight on/off switch a pull-out/push-in type switch similar to what cars used in the 60's and earlier? I know that Freightliner now uses a rotary-type knob to activate the headlamps the way a lot of car makers now use, but it appears from pictures that Spartan uses the old pull-out/push-in type of switch.

4. Where is the 4-way flasher switch located? How about the ICC switch? Are they a "rocker" type switch?

5. On the exterior of the coach, is see there is an amber marker lamp on each side. It's around mid-ship and maybe 4 feet high. Is this just a marker lamp or does it also serve as a turn signal repeater? In other words, does it blink with the turn signals?

6. Where is the switch located that turns on the "porch light" on the right side of the coach near the door? If it is activated in the driver's compartment, where might it be? I assume that it can be turned on and off while moving?

7. Do the tail/brake lights on the rear cap of the coach have only one lamp for each side? I see that the light assembly (let's use the right one, looking from left to right) has what appears to be a back-up light, turn signal light, what looks like a red reflector, and then the tail/brake light. It looks like the tail/brake light has only one lamp, is the correct? That red reflector looking thing appears to be only a reflector and not a light, is this correct?

8. Have you measured the actual running height of your coach? Newmar's specs state 12' 1" which I assume would take into consideration the air conditioners and the ladder but not the satellite receiver. My garage door is 12' 7" so no matter what, it's going to be a tight fit but I just wondered if you have any first hand knowledge of your height.

The next two questions could pertain to all Newmar coaches.

A. I read that Newmars have a back-up alarm when the transmission is put in reverse, is this correct? If so, is there a simple way to disconnect the alarm?

B. I notice that all Newmars have their left mirror arm positioned to view the mirror out the windshield. So, can the left side (driver side) mirror arm be swinged backward in order to view the mirror from the side window rather than through the windshield? I realize that most prefer to view that mirror through the windshield but again, being an old bus driver, I prefer the see the mirror out the side window. I believe it gives a wider view because of being closer to my eyes. I also know it creates less of a blind spot when making left turns. I realize this will create controversy but all I really wish to find out is if the arm can be swinged backward.

I'd appreciate any responses you can give. Once again, congratulations and pleasant journeys!
Old 01-24-2006, 06:44 PM   #3

Rocco, I purchased a 2006 KSDP 3912 in Oct. It's our first coach, and it's terrific. I can not answer all your questions, some of those items I would have never thought of in a million years .
2. Audible sound when blinkers left on. I have found it hard to hear. Don't know if you can turn the sound up.
3. lights are pull on push off
4. ICC left side rocker arm
5. yes on the yellow lights, don't know if they blink, I'll pay attention next trip.
6 right side near door. Can not be activated on drivers side
A. Yes it has a back up alarm, don't know about disengaging.
B. The mirror can not be swung back. Don't know if they would mount it different for you.

Let us know when you buy it. We've taken four trips and really love it. Good luck
Old 01-25-2006, 10:44 AM   #4

Hi Kenn!

Thank you for your responses. Yeah, I'm into these trivial type things. If I could have a manufacturer customize a coach for me, I'd have a lengthy list of items such as the ones mentioned to be incorporated into a coach. I think it all stems from my background as a one time commercial bus driver.

I'm so glad to hear that you're enjoying your coach. I get so discouraged when reading some message boards about all the problems some people have with brand new units. I read about and hear so few negative reviews coming from Newmar owners. Almost 100% are really satisfied with their Newmars.

Again, I really appreciate your taking the time to respond to my inquiries. Thank you!

p.s. I see that you're towing a VUE. The hybrid VUE should be available sometime in the summer. Do you (or anybody else for that matter) know if it can be towed 4-down?

--'rocco
Old 01-25-2006, 11:59 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
When we were at the Super Show in Tampa a couple of the Newmar sales staff intimated that they will customize the coach to your specs. Going so far, for example, as deleting the 2nd toilet and replacing with a larger pantry.

Never hurts to ask, the worst they can tell you is No.

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 09:47 PM   #6

Hello Doctor!

Thank you for the advice. I think I'll check into that when it comes time to order. So those were actual Newmar factory reps you talked to at the RV show? That's encouraging to hear that this might be possible. I wonder if they'd do those types of nit-picky things that I talked about in my opening post? But you're right, it surely won't hurt to ask.

Thanks, again, Dr. Mark. I appreciate your taking the time to post.

--'rocco