Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2018, 10:29 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I thought I’d chime in on the Xite system and RAND GPS as I have it in my Winnebago. Mine is not sluggish and doesn’t reboot itself the way you describe. So I know it’s not “normal” for it to act that way.

I have heard of others complaining about the same issues however. It seems some got new SD cards from Riverpark, the distributor of the unit, and it corrected these issues. Others had Riverpark send them whole new “core” units. Somewhere in your coach is a car radio-sized computer that runs everything on the Xite system, that’s the Core Unit.

Riverpark is pretty good at offering support on these give them a call tel:(800) 442-7717. Here’s their website:
https://riverparkinc.com/product/xite-x2s/
Hi,

Is the 7” monitor just for viewing as mentioned in the description at river Park? If it still of value to have? Thanks
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2018, 12:52 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wepinegar View Post
Having changed this year from a 35' Gasser to a 37' Diesel - the switch is not as hard as it is made to sound here - We are sometimes a bit of a geek - wanting to not only know how but why!! And as a geek - I mean that in the most respectful way!!

The switch has been fun and worth it!!
I can relate to the geek comment. I mentioned the thunking noise to dealer and he said the Spartan shop had already heard it and fixed when doing the test drive after replacing the air bag, but being the geek that I am, I not only wanted to know it was found/fixed, but what it was I was hearing. Which I just asked him.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:04 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
For those of us that aren't diesels yet, does this mean that you have to get out of the coach and measure clearances before you can drive off. One would think paying $$$$ for the coach there should be another way. Everything I have read about operating a diesel coach (DEF, Stale fuel, air up, fuel additives) sure makes the Gas 'Fuel and Go' vs noise debate more interesting.

Are diesel coaches really this hard to operate, or do I only see the 'bad' things?
One would think there was some indication to the operator that you were at a height that wouldn't 'cut' you tires on a turn......
Hi Boomer - no, diesels aren't "this hard to operate," they just have more stuff on them and thus more systems to learn and fine tune. This particular question I think just reflects a standard walk-around before driving off, which we certainly also did in our gasser - is the TV antenna down, are the slides and levelers fully retracted, did we lock the compartment doors, does the ride-height look appropriate, etc.

Having made the switch from Gas Class A to diesel a year ago we are incredibly glad we did; it just takes a bit more time to learn how to operate and maintain these beasts.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:29 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post
Hi,

Is the 7” monitor just for viewing as mentioned in the description at river Park? If it still of value to have? Thanks
It can fully operate the system just like the main screen. Or it can be set to one function while the main screen is showing another function.

For instance, we normally have the main screen display the Map/GPS with the SAT radio in the top part of the screen showing song and artist. While the passenger monitor shows the rear view camera. That way I can glance over and see the toad when I need to. This is pretty much 100% of the time.

I’m actually planning on getting a 3rd monitor to put over by me with a rear view camera display all the time. Then my wife can use her monitor for the map or the radio if she wishes.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:09 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
It can fully operate the system just like the main screen. Or it can be set to one function while the main screen is showing another function.

For instance, we normally have the main screen display the Map/GPS with the SAT radio in the top part of the screen showing song and artist. While the passenger monitor shows the rear view camera. That way I can glance over and see the toad when I need to. This is pretty much 100% of the time.

I’m actually planning on getting a 3rd monitor to put over by me with a rear view camera display all the time. Then my wife can use her monitor for the map or the radio if she wishes.
Thanks I will have to question RiverPark if Newmars version is as flexible.

It refers to the monitor as passive, which I assume it can not change routes.
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:59 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post
Thanks I will have to question RiverPark if Newmars version is as flexible.

It refers to the monitor as passive, which I assume it can not change routes.
It was previously reported that it's just passive (and if so, would be interested if it just hooks up with a single RCA plug or another hookup method). Please share what you find. My wife cannot easily see it and I would love for her to be able to see the screen.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:27 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
I can relate to the geek comment. I mentioned the thunking noise to dealer and he said the Spartan shop had already heard it and fixed when doing the test drive after replacing the air bag, but being the geek that I am, I not only wanted to know it was found/fixed, but what it was I was hearing. Which I just asked him.
As far as being a geek, I joined that club 40 years ago and was actually involved in networking before the internet and was one of 2 people who developed the OnStar system (long story and was not called that then). For the last 15 years I have worked with 'geeks' doing research for Allison and Cummins, mostly in the heavy Military truck (HEMTT, tankers..) world. For fun I showed them the posts about down shifting manually, maintaining certain RPM's and asked their opinions. With the exception of the possible 'higher RPM because rear/side radiator' as opposed to front radiator, they all seem a little confused with all the manual shifting. They then proceeded to lecture me on the years of research done by the companies to setup the transmissions to match the engines for maximum performance and life of the equipment.

The 'geeky' question of the day, does Spartan/Freightliner get their transmission/engine settings from Allison/Cummins specific to their chassis, or do they just use some standard setup?

In the heavy truck world the transmissions can be tweak (we've done that for research purposes), based on the vehicle while most military vehicles have a default.

Lastly I do have the equipment to 'tweak' the transmission and NO I would never do it knowing the research that the manufactures put into the settings and assuming that the chassis manufacturers worked with Allison/Cummins to 'tweak' the tranny to optimum performance.

BTW: 'we' means the people in my organization that are performing the research. They unlike myself, drive the vehicles, I just create instruments for collecting all kind of data, they also analyze it.
They have also been giving an ear full of advice.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:04 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
It was previously reported that it's just passive (and if so, would be interested if it just hooks up with a single RCA plug or another hookup method). Please share what you find. My wife cannot easily see it and I would love for her to be able to see the screen.
Got these pictures in an email from support@xsna.ca, they show the two connectors on the back of the 6", which what I assume you have.
Click image for larger version

Name:	AV Harness.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	218569

Click image for larger version

Name:	Power Harness.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	218570
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 04:19 PM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
I once heard a "popping" sound on some curves and when I checked under my seat, the bolts were loose that connect it to the sliding device. Tight bolts made the sound go away. I would only use a Garmin 760 (RV) but then always double check route nightly on my computer. Make yourself a check list for your phone and before you put your coach in gear run thru and confirm to yourself that it be done. (Once almost pulled out with awning out!)jmo mark You learn so much the first year - try not to break anything in the process!
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 05:46 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCJones View Post
I once heard a "popping" sound on some curves and when I checked under my seat, the bolts were loose that connect it to the sliding device. Tight bolts made the sound go away. I would only use a Garmin 760 (RV) but then always double check route nightly on my computer. Make yourself a check list for your phone and before you put your coach in gear run thru and confirm to yourself that it be done. (Once almost pulled out with awning out!)jmo mark You learn so much the first year - try not to break anything in the process!
Yea, one of the one's I'm more nervous about is the retractable Sat dish on the roof.

I decided to go old school, and I already have some checklists laminated on rings with grease pencils so we can check off as we go. We'll update those as we go, but my wife who will quite often man the checklist liked the idea of going with paper vs. phone/tablet.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:52 PM   #39

I have a painted red clothes pin with a tag that says satellite up on it. I clip it to the parking brake as soon as it goes up. Works for me
Ernie. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent, ventana