Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2007, 03:05 AM   #1

My main TV picture has been very grainy with alot of "latency" when on satellite, just not clear. The bedroom and outside Sharp are very clear and relatively crisp. I have adjusted controls and no real improvement. The picture when playing DVDs is much better. I am using a standard Directv receiver...RCA 420. Is a weak cable connection the likely culprit or is this just a crummy tv? How is YOUR picture on satellite with this tv?? thanks
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2007, 03:05 AM   #2

My main TV picture has been very grainy with alot of "latency" when on satellite, just not clear. The bedroom and outside Sharp are very clear and relatively crisp. I have adjusted controls and no real improvement. The picture when playing DVDs is much better. I am using a standard Directv receiver...RCA 420. Is a weak cable connection the likely culprit or is this just a crummy tv? How is YOUR picture on satellite with this tv?? thanks
Old 03-02-2007, 03:21 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Larry, have you checked the cable connections on you selector box and have you selected the correct input cable or AUX. Could be just cable connection on box from TV. If its the connection behind TV thats another story.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 03:26 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
A better TV will sometimes expose the standard 480i graininess. However, usually the Bravia upconverter will do a better job. Unless the the two are connected w/standard RCA cables. In your case it is also through the video switch box which doesn't add any quality.

I'm assuming the DVD player looks fine. If that is the case then you need to connect the satellite box w/progressive cables or an HDMI cable. Progressive cables you can do yourself but, you'll need to also get a set of audio cables. So you will have a cable w/Red, Green, and Blue along w/a Red & White audio cable. Available at Wal-Mart or Home Depot.

That said the sat box will be directly connected via a progessive input on the back of the TV. It will also still be connected via the switch box. The progressive input will give you a much better picture and allow the Sony upconverter to work.

Finally, you can leave the sat box connected to the switch box w/the regular cables and it will still distribute the picture to all the other TVs.

p.s.
I don't believe your sat box has an HDMI output because it is not HiDef. But, if it does, you'll need to remove the front tv to get to the input on the back. I had Newmar do mine.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 03:35 AM   #5

I havent checked any of those connections yet because of the HUGE pile of wires behind the switchbox, but I do set it for Satellite. I have briefly studied the connection area behind the TV..I can actually see the connection point thru the vent slats behind and those access panels come off with a few screws...THAT seems easier than dealing with the snake pit behind the switch box...just curious about others picture quality before I make a mess
Old 03-02-2007, 03:40 AM   #6

Scott...thanks for the good info...I will bring my rig to my local audio shop and let them figure it out....am I the ONLY one with a crummy satellite picture?
Old 03-02-2007, 04:37 AM   #7

Had the same problem. It was a defective Winegard Video Distribution Center. Moved TV 1 over to VCR worked fine. Sent it back to Winegard worked ok for two months now failed again!
Old 03-02-2007, 05:55 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
my guess is the distribution center..the buttons don't make good connections and also the co ax in the back can loosen up..it's the first place I would look...think Dav is on the money
clubmed98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:36 AM   #9

thanks guys...I'll give that a try!
Old 03-02-2007, 10:43 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I am not familiar with the MADP distrubution center, but if it uses coaz cable check the cable ends. We had to have all the ones in our coach replaced.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 12:12 PM   #11

Well..I TRIED to check out my situation...what a huge mess....I am unable to get the video distribution center out because of ZERO slack of the cables behind it..they go straight up to the roof area...I swear they must have run the cables from below to above and took up all the slack...dont know how they could have connected them otherwise....also, behind the TV, I tried to remove the wooden grill with 3 screws...no go...the rest of it is attached BEHIND my visor, which means I would have to remove the wired visor just to get to the screws....I'm going to have to get either a dealer OR local video shop to do this at Newmar's expense...beyond my skills for sure!!! I also went to Circuit City to see about my problem...the sales person said I need to make some picture adjustments, concerning brightness and vivid settings and maybe that would make it better....he knew exactly the problem I was describing...hopefully THAT will be my fix!!
Old 04-01-2007, 04:12 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Doc--
I bought a 32' Sony Bravia LCD about 2 months ago-- for the home. I too was dissapointed with the picture even after I adjusted it according to the owners manual. I did not have a high definition receiver at that time. I am a Direct TV subscriber. The motor home also has two Direct TV receivers. When the installer came he had to mount a new antenna with 3 LNB's. It hits 5 different satellites now, but Direct TV only transmits 10 channels in Hi-Def now. They are 70 thru 79, and the first two are HBO and Showtime. He said by the end of the year we should see 100 or so channels--we'll see about that. He also installed a Hi- Def receiver. The end result is an unbeliveably great picture, but only on channels 70-79. I would like to outfit the motor home too, but it would require a new KVH automatic antenna, new Hi Def TV's and receivers. Then I would only get 10 channels now--- hardly worth the effort and expense at this time. I must stay with Direct TV because we spend 5 months in Maine, in the summer of course, and their satellite is higher in the southern sky than Dish network (it's #101 satellite). I dont know the elevation of the Hi-Def satellites. I'll look into that as more Hi-Def stations become available.
As an aside to the LCD vs Plasma discussions, I will offer this observation. The LCD has a narrow area of viewability-- you must look almost straight on for the best picture quality. I understand the Plasma has a wide angle available for viewing, Something to consider when installing or upgrading TV's in your rig. I would consider an LCD for the bedroom and a Plasma for the living area

Max H
2002 Newmar Mountain Aire, 37' gas
2006 Malibu
Pikeville, NC
Old 04-01-2007, 04:32 AM   #13

Hi Max....general discussions say to stay away from plasma for the rv...doesnt like vibration or altitude...I wish I could swap out my Sony for a Sharp lcd like my outside tv
Old 04-01-2007, 04:47 AM   #14

I don't know about plasmas and vibration, but I thought the altitude problem (which was a biggie a couple years ago) has long since been eliminated?