Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2008, 03:57 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Has anyone had to replace the spare tire lowering device on a W22 chassis that carries a spare tire on the rear underside?
Small assembly has a 3/4" nut behind the rear license plate to lower the tire frame via a stainless steel cable with a catch on the end. The cable has multiple strands that are worn through and the winch assembly seems to be bound up. On a recent flat tire situation I was glad to have a spare on board but now can not hang another spare in the frame due to not being able to wind it back up.
Would this be a Newmar only part,($$) or an automotive jobber part? Any ideas?
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2008, 03:57 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Has anyone had to replace the spare tire lowering device on a W22 chassis that carries a spare tire on the rear underside?
Small assembly has a 3/4" nut behind the rear license plate to lower the tire frame via a stainless steel cable with a catch on the end. The cable has multiple strands that are worn through and the winch assembly seems to be bound up. On a recent flat tire situation I was glad to have a spare on board but now can not hang another spare in the frame due to not being able to wind it back up.
Would this be a Newmar only part,($$) or an automotive jobber part? Any ideas?
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:31 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Never notice a cable to my tire frame before , will have to check in AM. Maybe its only on the MA coachs. My tire has never been dropped just grease the nuts once in a while.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:39 PM   #4

bdaball: On the few Newmars I have seen with this option, I've never paid close attention to the design. However, I can confirm that this tire carrier and its mechanisms ARE from Newmar, and were not part of the chassis as supplied by WCC. I suggest you contact a Newmar dealer for the parts you require, and wish you good luck! ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 07:20 AM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bdaball:
Would this be a Newmar only part,($$) or an automotive jobber part? Any ideas? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have contacted several Newmar dealers. I'm getting the same answer from all. No longer available from Newmar. Was used on all gas coaches from 2000-2004. Might want to keep yours greased and make sure it's working correctly.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:16 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey Bill,
Call Newmar one more time and ask them who was the build vendor for the cable apparatus. Maybe you can locate that company and get a replacement-- If not, pull the whole thing off and have at a "home rebuild" job. That type of cable is readily available at home centers/hardware stores.

Just lowered mine, oiled hinges, greased cable. Looks like four bolts (about 5/8" heads) hold the mechanism up. It appears there are 4 phillips head screws holding the cable pack together.

Good luck,
Old 05-26-2008, 04:01 PM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the advice Max. After a couple of days of running around and calling numerous suppliers and jobbers I found an assembly at a FORD delership that is close. I'll need to cut a devise off of the cable that is used to center a tire and cut a little of the housing frame. I'm also going to update the catch to be a little more foolproof. I did not like the way it was secured. I'll try and take pictures as I go along and send them to you on a PM. FYI, the two bolts that act as the hinge point for the frame are tack welded on the threads rather than a lock nut. With a brute strength and a big wrench they came off but it wasn't easy.
Spare tire is not much good if you can't get at it.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:17 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bill,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">to lower the tire frame via a stainless steel cable with a catch on the end. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't re-use this "catch". Get a piece of round 1/2" steel stock, about 1/2" thick, drill a hole slightly larger than the cable size, drill and tap two allen head set screw holes, (about 10-32 thread), insert the cable and tighten the set screws.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:31 AM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Max,
The Ford assembly worked great. I little time with a cut off wheel and a short piece of angle iron to create a safety lip and wala!

$62.00 from a Ford parts department.(shhh...don't tell anybody I have a Ford part on a WH!)

I'll show you if we get to BBHbr later this summer