Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2019, 12:30 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Spartan Academy

We are about to take delivery of a new DS 4328 on a Spartan chasis. We have owned two other coaches, both on Freightliner chasis. As part of owning a coach I took the Freightliner chasis class in Gaffney and really felt it was a worth while use of time and money. Now that we are going to have a Spartan based rig, I thought it would, again, be worth the time to visit Spartan and take their class. That was before I saw the price Spartan is asking.

I'd like to ask if anyone thought the class at Spartan is in line with what they provide in their training class. If I remember correctly, the FL class was in the $300 range and the Spartan class is over $1700. All comments are appreciated.
JPietri is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2019, 12:39 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPietri View Post
We are about to take delivery of a new DS 4328 on a Spartan chasis. We have owned two other coaches, both on Freightliner chasis. As part of owning a coach I took the Freightliner chasis class in Gaffney and really felt it was a worth while use of time and money. Now that we are going to have a Spartan based rig, I thought it would, again, be worth the time to visit Spartan and take their class. That was before I saw the price Spartan is asking.

I'd like to ask if anyone thought the class at Spartan is in line with what they provide in their training class. If I remember correctly, the FL class was in the $300 range and the Spartan class is over $1700. All comments are appreciated.
Seems 1700 bucks would be a complete service.[emoji27]
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:02 PM   #3

I don't recall what I paid for the Spartan class (although $1700 seems kind of high) but whatever it was it was well worth it. I've taken it three times!

Each time I get a new coach, I take the class. It serves as a reminder, but even more important is the thorough going-over the coach gets as part of the class. They check it out, perform any needed fixes (under warranty if it is new) and weigh it.

Plus, as part of the deal, you and you wife will get more good food than you can imagine.

Worth every penny!
Ken Gluckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:07 PM   #4

We took the Spartan class last year. Excellent class and well worth the time and the money. The price you are showing is correct.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:45 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Spartan Chassis
It's well worth it. The folks in Charlotte take good care of their customers. We will most likely go again.
vonkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:01 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I took it last July after picking up the coach. Well worth what I paid. $1600 for both of us. Wife took the driving class and now feels comfortable driving on the freeway. Made some good friends and are meeting up this July.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:38 PM   #7

If you decide not to take the class and can schedule an appointment in Charlotte, it is worthwhile to have them do the chassis inspection as they found a couple of issues with ours and fixed one problem issue we had. I also had Spartan lube the chassis as we were at 6K miles by the time we reached Mi.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:08 PM   #8
ARD

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It is worth it! You won't regret it. They do a thorough inspection of your rig. You will be able to go below your rig in the bay to learn about it with an assigned tech. The instruction and course material is worth it alone. Every breakfast and lunch is catered. You will receive gifts (I won't ruin the surprise) and usually a raffle (I won 3 nights at Hearthside Grove. [emoji2]) And there is more, but even if there wasn't all that...the course material and instruction was well worth the money in of itself. By the end of the class, you will feel like you are part of a family.
ARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:09 AM   #9

Ditto - Did the class last August. Never owned a coach before. The class was incredibly helpful and the inspection and service was outstanding. We’re going back today for our annual service.
ianschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:22 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARD View Post
It is worth it! You won't regret it. They do a thorough inspection of your rig. You will be able to go below your rig in the bay to learn about it with an assigned tech. The instruction and course material is worth it alone. Every breakfast and lunch is catered. You will receive gifts (I won't ruin the surprise) and usually a raffle (I won 3 nights at Hearthside Grove. [emoji2]) And there is more, but even if there wasn't all that...the course material and instruction was well worth the money in of itself. By the end of the class, you will feel like you are part of a family.
I also won 3 nights there and will be going July. How was it?
Old 04-15-2019, 12:24 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianschneider View Post
Ditto - Did the class last August. Never owned a coach before. The class was incredibly helpful and the inspection and service was outstanding. We’re going back today for our annual service.
This is Jim , I think you were sitting next to me.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:02 PM   #12
ARD

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 fan View Post
I also won 3 nights there and will be going July. How was it?

It was great! It’s beautiful. That will be a great time to go too! [emoji2]
ARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:05 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Getting excited about the mid-June class we signed up for. We have only been RVing since 2015 (started with a Canyon Star), and only 7 months and 5000+ miles on our VTDP. DW really looking forward to driving instruction, while I'm looking forward to chassis inspection ...
Just want to know from others that have attended, is there something specific we should be look for out of the class.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:29 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Forgot to mention, I sent a copy of the driving certificate to both of my Ins. Co. and got a discount for taking a safe driving course.