Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2011, 09:21 PM   #1

Spartan Caps and High Hat Retention

I know there was a thread on this issue, but I can't find it, as I learned something perhaps I should share.

Like many others I have heard about, losing of the rear wheel high hats has been an issue. I know I have lost three in the last year.

I've had an issue with my left tag high hat, the same position as the last one that left. I removed the high hat, repositioned the hold-on brack to assure the two little tabs in front are positioned right at the housing flange end and tightened it as hard as I could with a screwdriver. After driving a couple of hunderd miles I checked it, still it has wiggled about 3/16" off. Off being the cap had moved slightly out. I could push it back on, and although it seemed to fit tight, I could still move it slightly up and down,

So, when all else fails.....Read the directions. So I looked both ways to make sure my wife didn't see me reading the install instrctions. I noticed something in the instructions I had never done. The holder assemble is secured with a stainless hose clamp that is tightened using the one stanard screw. I have always used a screw driver on this type of clamp and it always did the trick. But the instruction say to use a 5/16" wrench or socket. So I removed the cap again and tightened the screw again using a driver. Now when I had it as tight as I could make it I took a 5/16" wrench and attempted to tighten it further. Oh yes! It turned near a half more turn or more. I re-installed the high hat and low and behold. The high hat no longer would move up and down.

So, I have about 3000 miles to track from the west coast to Florida. Let's see if this is the answer.

Just thought this was worth passing on.

Peter
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2011, 09:39 PM   #2

Were you losing the retaining band too?

Never thought about it, I always used a socket to tighten that retainer in my el. cheapo electric screw gun - crimping the band around the flutes on the hub no less. Never thought that alone would make the difference between keep and lose! I've only lost one hat in the early days and after 70,000 more miles not a single loss.

Lost a couple baby moons (they are the 5 tab variety) before I used pliers to open out the flange tabs a little. After that, never a loss either.

BTW my moons and high hats all came from chrome shops at truck stops. No Spartan logo but 100% stainless steel for about $8 per moon and $20 per high hat.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottffss View Post
Were you losing the retaining band too?

Never thought about it, I always used a socket to tighten that retainer in my el. cheapo electric screw gun - crimping the band around the flutes on the hub no less. Never thought that alone would make the difference between keep and lose! I've only lost one hat in the early days and after 70,000 more miles not a single loss.

Lost a couple baby moons (they are the 5 tab variety) before I used pliers to open out the flange tabs a little. After that, never a loss either.

BTW my moons and high hats all came from chrome shops at truck stops. No Spartan logo but 100% stainless steel for about $8 per moon and $20 per high hat.
No, I have never lost a retainer, just the high hat. But, if the retainer can move at all, it will allow the high hat to move and leave the ship.

Peter

Tags
spartan