Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2020, 09:20 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It happened when I connected the negative cable. I did the same thing 3 days earlier and nothing happened. Not sure why it would fry the SCM one time and not the other. Next time I'm at a Spartan service center I'll ask them if they follow that procedure.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2020, 10:14 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for your thread 10 fan, will be placing in the big thread for Newmar owners and the
Spartan Forum, better safe than sorry I would guess on this one.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 09:56 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 fan View Post
After cleaning chassis batteries I hooked up the cables and the horn started honking and wouldn't stop. After a lot of work and research Spartan said the horn is controlled by the SCM (Spartan Control Module). Spartan says you must follow this procedure to disconnect the batteries or you could damage the SCM.
Battery compartment
1, Turn off both disconnects (open)
2, Remove fuse panel cover and remove F10 (Ign. SW. 15amp fuse)
3, Remove negative battery cable, remove positive if needed but not necessary for what's next.
Spartan Control Module Hard Reset
Do 1,2,3 above
In front generator compartment
4, Remove the positive cable (3/4" wrench) from the SCM (mine is below the air horns, gold heat sink fins about 10" X 10"
5, Remove the two wire connections P1 and P2, 5/32" allen on the bottom of P1 and P2, carefully pull straight down.
6, Wait 10 minutes and connect in reverse order.
Check the orange rubber gasket around P1 and P2 when you reinstall.

I wanted to share this because it sounds like something we could do if engine shuts down, power cuts back, sensor causes check engine light or problems. The DEF head failure some have had made me think of this. Unfortunately this didn't solve my problem so I will be checking the input and output of the SCM and it will probably have to be replaced.

10 Fan, I need to change out my batteries on my 17 DS. Where is the #10 fuse you speak of? Is it in the fuse box in the 1st bay under driver seat? Also what battery did you replace your original batteries with? Are they group 30 batteries?

Thanks for the write up on disconnecting the batteries, glad I found this prior to just undoing things like I would have on my old 51 Chevy.
Old 01-20-2021, 10:26 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The fuse is in the black round waterproof fuse box below the batteries. It's a Spartan installed item.
Old 01-21-2021, 05:39 AM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I followed a similar discussion around the SCM in the Entegra group when someone jumped a coach after the batteries drained down.

Trying to smarten up before moving from our Gas rig to the Diesel. All the little nuances are overwhelming. Hold your nose to the left, hop on right foot, hit the button, and pray.
New2road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 08:47 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer Guy View Post
10 Fan, I need to change out my batteries on my 17 DS. Where is the #10 fuse you speak of? Is it in the fuse box in the 1st bay under driver seat? Also what battery did you replace your original batteries with? Are they group 30 batteries?

Thanks for the write up on disconnecting the batteries, glad I found this prior to just undoing things like I would have on my old 51 Chevy.
Forgot to answer your battery question. I still have the Spartan installed batteries. When I change them out it will be AGM's but haven't decided which ones yet.

Tags
chassis, spartan