Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2013, 08:57 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis with Evans Dash air

I had a problem with my dash air, it had a gas leak. I went to a local automotive AC and they filled the gas, AC worked fine for about two weeks, then it would not cool again. Drove it back to the local AC company, they tried to find a leak but was not successful. I called the Evans Tempcon customer service and they said I should carry it to a service center, I did and about $900 later they had replaced a high limit switch and a hose that had the leak. I talked to the Evans man at a rally and he informed me that my AC had a problem because Spartan had used the wrong switch and the pressure went to high and caused the leak, Apparently there was many coaches that had this problem I was told Evans, Spartan and Newmar did some testing at the Newmar factory and determined the wrong switch was installed by Spartan. I do not know how many coaches was involved but Spartan chose to just fix the coaches while under warranty and left the others to pay for a manufacturers mistake that cost the owner. I asked why they did not have a recall, no answer. I bought my coach used with a little over 20000 miles and was three years old, I bought it in May and did not get to make a trip before about ten months, the AC did not work properly on the first trip. I found out about the problem at the Newmar Rally in July, both Evans and Spartan had a display.

I contacted Spartan and was told that it was not under warranty, I agreed it was not a warranty problem but it manufacturer mistake that should have been recalled. My question is how many of Newmar owners had this same problem, my coach is a 2009 and how many people got theirs fix before the warranty went out. I have asked Newmar if they could determine how many coaches had the wrong switch installed and how many was fixed, the parts come through Newmar. I would like to say that Newmar has been a part of this problem from the beginning and I think they have tried to help but Spartan refused to help and never admitted any wrong doing even after it was proven to be in the wrong. Since it was Spartans decision to use the wrong switch they should at least be responsible for the damage to the hose because of pressures to high and cause the hoses to fail and pay for the switch. I am sure that we have all had bad experiences with all kinds of things that go wrong and paid the price, but when a manufacturer finds out they should have the responsibility to recall and make it right,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2013, 09:18 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a link to what your problem may be.
You can buy a new Evans control valve or add a ball valve in one of the hoses.
If you do buy a Evans valve make sure its installed correctly or you will have to do all over again.
This problem is on every motor home with a Evans AC/Heater unit gas or DP's.
If you do not think this is your problem you should still check out the install of the Evans control valve.
Try to stay cool.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I looked at the link and the other thread, I think they had a different problem, my problem is with the Freon lines and the switch that controls the Freon pressure. I do not have a problem with the heating or water control valve, my Freon is leaking out because the switch was to high pressure which causes a problem with the hoses. The service center changed the hose and valve and it seems to be working at least it is not losing Freon. Evans told me at the rally in Illinois that Spartan had refused a recall, that is the reason I would like the number of coaches manufactured that had the incorrect switch. There should have been a recall on the coaches that had the wrong switch, that is a clear violation of business integrity and manufacturing ethics, would you not agree with that on Spartans obvious cover up.

From the links those folks seemed to have an Evans problem, it seems to me that warranty's cover manufacturers problems but not their mistakes, I feel they should have had to issue a recall to replace the "wrong" switch even after being told and proven they was a mistake not a defect. Their error in judgement to not fix the problem after it was proved they installed the wrong switch with all coaches involved.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
One other thing 007, I asked Newmar if they sent me the correct switch, they assured me it was the correct switch, Spartan should have given these switches to Newmar free of charge and also paid for the damage caused because of the wrong switch, warranty period or not, it was still a manufacturers mistake and they should have assumed responsibility for the wrong switch, it the switch had been faulty I could understand the refusal but they made the decision to install the switch to gain better fuel mileage,
Old 07-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I had a similiar issue with my tag axle bags. They were in the wrong position on the coach and that caused them to rub on chassis pieces. There was no recall, they would check coaches as they came in to service. They had to reposition my air bags requiring removing the air bag mounts and moving them to a new locatiion and welding the brackets into place. According to Spartan my bags had a rub spot but had not caused the bag to leak. They replaced the bags for free and charged me 500.00 in labor to fix the mistake. I thought since it was done wrong at the start they should pay the whole expense, they did not agree.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by montiem View Post
One other thing 007, I asked Newmar if they sent me the correct switch, they assured me it was the correct switch, Spartan should have given these switches to Newmar free of charge and also paid for the damage caused because of the wrong switch, warranty period or not, it was still a manufacturers mistake and they should have assumed responsibility for the wrong switch, it the switch had been faulty I could understand the refusal but they made the decision to install the switch to gain better fuel mileage,
MONTIEM: I understand how you feel, but IMO, you are mistaken about how manufacturers handle these type issues. Their MISTAKES are covered by their warranty. But, if their mistake did not cause a failure during the warranty period, then they are not LEGALLY obligated to repair/replace it free of charge unless their warranty was stated as Unlimited. Most only offer a "Limited" Warranty, and that lets them of the hook for their mistakes after the warranty period expires. That is the nature of warranties.

Now, many times a company will admit they made a mistake and correct it free, or at a discounted price, as a customer "good will" policy-but there is no LEGAL requirement for them to do ANYTHING after their warranty has expired. Apparently Spartan has chosen NOT to provide a "good will" fix for the incorrect pressure switch problem you and possibly others have experienced.

RECALLS are usually government mandated programs to repair/replace a defect that creates a SAFTEY issue. RECALLS do not have a time limit and must be completed at no charge to the consumer regardless of how old the product is. Sometimes these safety recalls are referred to as "Voluntary", but that only means the company does not dispute the gov't decision to require the recall.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:10 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Installing the wrong switch and not informing buyers it was the wrong switch is not a warranty issue, it is an integrity issue by the party that hides the mistake in hopes the problem will not happen until the warranty expires, if the wrong switch was installed it is still wrong and it still failed after the warranty period because it was the wrong switch. The switch did not fail, it caused a failure in the hose because the switch did what it was suppose to do, it caused the pressure to go to high and cause a hose fitting failure. Spartan shunned their responsibility to correct a mistake, the warranty should would have covered the right switch if it failed before the warranty expired, taking responsibility for a bad decision should not a warranty issue.

I think it is humorous and sad that the government is responsibility to demand that people do the right thing. Sorry Ed but since you informed me about the responsibility of the government to mandate a recall, I forgive Spartan of any wrong decisions. Thanks for the information, I really already knew the answer, I just wanted any manufacturer to admit they made a mistake that cost their customers money for using their product. I understand you knowledge of warranties since you own a workhorse chassis. Please forgive me, I should have not said that.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:58 PM   #8

Quote:
........ I understand you knowledge of warranties since you own a workhorse chassis. Please forgive me, I should have not said that.
Well, at least your last comment is correct.

Frankly, I thought I was adding some value to your thread, apparently not according to you, so "please forgive me" for butting in to your rant about Spartan's mistake. It won't happen again.
Ed
Old 07-20-2013, 05:38 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Ed please excuse my rant and I did appreciate your input and I did not intend to offend. Please feel free to add anytime. I really considered it as a joke and did not direct it in a crass manner. Please accept my apologize
Old 07-20-2013, 07:05 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I had a problem with my dash air, it had a gas leak. I went to a local automotive AC and they filled the gas, AC worked fine for about two weeks, then it would not cool again. Drove it back to the local AC company, they tried to find a leak but was not successful. I called the Evans Tempcon customer service and they said I should carry it to a service center, I did and about $900 later they had replaced a high limit switch and a hose that had the leak. I talked to the Evans man at a rally and he informed me that my AC had a problem because Spartan had used the wrong switch and the pressure went to high and caused the leak, Apparently there was many coaches that had this problem I was told Evans, Spartan and Newmar did some testing at the Newmar factory and determined the wrong switch was installed by Spartan. I do not know how many coaches was involved but Spartan chose to just fix the coaches while under warranty and left the others to pay for a manufacturers mistake that cost the owner. I asked why they did not have a recall, no answer. I bought my coach used with a little over 20000 miles and was three years old, I bought it in May and did not get to make a trip before about ten months, the AC did not work properly on the first trip. I found out about the problem at the Newmar Rally in July, both Evans and Spartan had a display.

I contacted Spartan and was told that it was not under warranty, I agreed it was not a warranty problem but it manufacturer mistake that should have been recalled. My question is how many of Newmar owners had this same problem, my coach is a 2009 and how many people got theirs fix before the warranty went out. I have asked Newmar if they could determine how many coaches had the wrong switch installed and how many was fixed, the parts come through Newmar. I would like to say that Newmar has been a part of this problem from the beginning and I think they have tried to help but Spartan refused to help and never admitted any wrong doing even after it was proven to be in the wrong. Since it was Spartans decision to use the wrong switch they should at least be responsible for the damage to the hose because of pressures to high and cause the hoses to fail and pay for the switch. I am sure that we have all had bad experiences with all kinds of things that go wrong and paid the price, but when a manufacturer finds out they should have the responsibility to recall and make it right,
I had the same problem with our previous 2007 Kountry Star DP; the only difference is that I caught it before the Spartan 2 year warranty ran out. Even went to Spartan factory after several attempts to have repaired at local Spartan service center. The day I left from the Spartan factory it quit working again. The final solution was a new compressor and the lower pressure switch which finally fixed the problem. I think that when there is a known manufacturing defect that it should be fixed after warranty has expired.
Just my opinion!

Terry
2011 Dutch Star #4344 - 2014 Buick Enclave W/Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar and base-plate
SMI Air Force One brake
Terry43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:58 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Terry I agree with the know defect, the decision to not fix it after the defect if exposed saved the company no telling how much money. In a case like this where the defect is uncovered and the manufacturer finally admits to the defect and it was the fault of the manufacturer warranty should not be a factor. That gives the manufacturer a reason to hide if the sin is forgiven because of limited time responsibility, that would be nice to be able to out a time limit on bad decisions.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #12

montiem: Apology accepted. Thanks. Like I said, "I understand how you feel" and I was just commenting that isn't the way "most" companies view their responsibilities regarding warranties and their mistakes.Ed
Old 07-20-2013, 11:26 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Good, hope to see you on the road
Old 07-23-2013, 11:29 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
high pressure switch

Is there a part number for the correct high pressure switch? available from Newmar?
Our dash air leaked due to a blown high pressure hose fitting. Fitting replaced, system Ok until 2 days on the road. No cold air again. at $750 for leak detection and fitting, it will be pretty frustrating to find a switch will continue to cause the same failure.. Is there a TSB to check for the correct switch when servicing the dash air?

2007 Ventana DP
Bob

2007 NEWMAR 3613 VTDP
2015 WRANGLER JKU toad
Doodlebarge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, dash, spartan