Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2021, 08:03 PM   #1

Spartan Front Axle up grade now available

Reyco- Granning who provides the front axle assembly for Spartan chassis has come out with a up grade to add on front sway bar. A front sway bar hasn't been used on the front but is now available as a add on kit. We have been pleased with our 18 LA front axle after replacing the front Bilstein 46mm front shocks to what is used on the KA 60mm Bilstein shocks and motion control valves. A Entegra owner with a Cornerstone has been doing the testing for Reyco-Granning and has reported a noticeable improvement on his K-3 chassis. A little early for us to order but with a little more information we will be adding the sway bar.
The part number of the front sway bar is 706843-01 and cost 871.13 and phone number is 417-466-2178.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2021, 09:28 PM   #2

This is something that Spartan should step up to the plate and cover for existing owners. If the front end needs this much help, somethings wrong in the design area.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:56 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
This is something that Spartan should step up to the plate and cover for existing owners. If the front end needs this much help, somethings wrong in the design area.
I am so nervous about dealing with spartan,especially in light of how poorly they are handling the def sensor head, and the power steering recalls.Their insurance rates for warranty coverage must be enormous, especially after the last 18 months of nearly all def heads failing.

Spartan engineering and manufacturing is a decade behind freightliner, and their costs are so high that they can't compete or provide quality components, even with a higher price tag.

I read Larry's post, and will have my sway bar here months before my London AIRE. Waiting to see how the bilsteins do before I order those as well.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 09:28 AM   #4

Over the 24 plus years of Spartan chassis on our Newmar's we have had numerous positive out comes with issues. We even had Spartan come to California to do a recall on our fan drive for our Essex. Yes this DEF issue has been hard on all of us with HD diesel engines the last couple years. When Newmar choice to use Spartan for their High Line coaches it was based on many reasons. As I stated in the post we are very, very pleased with our Spartan K-3 chassis and Cummins X-15.
Newmar Man
Old 12-09-2021, 11:40 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Tom C,

Sorry to be off topic, but I respect your knowledge and would like to ask if I should be watching for something on the DEF head issue on my 21 LA? I have 13,000 miles and haven't noticed anything. Are there any preventive measures I should take? I confess I haven't followed the threads on that issue.

Thanks in advance
Bill
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 02:26 PM   #6

Spartan Chassis
I am curious. If you're happy with the way yours is handling why spend money on shear speculation that it will somehow be better? Adding sway bars is something that I have seen people swear by and others say they waisted their money on.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 02:45 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Roy View Post
I am curious. If you're happy with the way yours is handling why spend money on shear speculation that it will somehow be better? Adding sway bars is something that I have seen people swear by and others say they waisted their money on.
I have the same reaction. After upgrading my shocks to Koni's, my front end steering and handling is great and I see no reason to spend another dime to improve it. I don't think these coaches need an anti-sway bar added at all. They don't sway.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 02:47 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Roy View Post

I have driven both Freightliner and Spartan. The Freightliner IFS is far better handling than the spartan on similar axles. The main reason I believe it handled better is the front sway bar that Freightliner installed, that is lacking on the spartans. By adding the front sway bar, this will dramatically improve handling.
Old 12-09-2021, 02:58 PM   #9

Haven't ordered yet. Waiting to more reports. Even as good as the drive is with the K-3 a front sway bar might improve it more.
Newmar Man
Old 12-10-2021, 07:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
I am so nervous about dealing with spartan,especially in light of how poorly they are handling the def sensor head, and the power steering recalls.Their insurance rates for warranty coverage must be enormous, especially after the last 18 months of nearly all def heads failing.

Spartan engineering and manufacturing is a decade behind freightliner, and their costs are so high that they can't compete or provide quality components, even with a higher price tag.

I read Larry's post, and will have my sway bar here months before my London AIRE. Waiting to see how the bilsteins do before I order those as well.
RB
Per Spartans specs, the 60mm shocks are steady standard on the LA.
Are you thinking going with a different brand?
NewmarDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 07:35 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewmarDave View Post
RB
Per Spartans specs, the 60mm shocks are steady standard on the LA.
Are you thinking going with a different brand?
I have heard that the tuning may be too harsh.
I would be interested in your opinion once you have driven the distance home.
Old 12-10-2021, 08:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
I have heard that the tuning may be too harsh.
I would be interested in your opinion once you have driven the distance home.
If all goes well today, that will begin tomorrow.

Btw. I know itís off topic, the new control app is pretty cool now that itís set up!!
NewmarDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 02:35 PM   #13

Iíve 6,100 miles on our 2022 LA
and just drove from San Antonio to the Florida Keys Newmar Rally.

Ride and handling is far superior to our 2019 Dutch Star, hell even I-10 across Texas and Louisiana wasnít a bad ride this time .
I by no means are dissing the Dutch Star but ride is the difference between a school bus and and tour bus and the handling is effortlessly. LA ride is by no means harsh and it takes the pot holes like a dream compared to the Freightliner banging.

As mentioned previously, the only negative is the porpoising on the right road conditions. Approaching a bridge with short sections of concrete.

This K3 is a dream to drive!
I see no need for a sway bar to be added at this point.
Granite17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 04:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite17 View Post
Iíve 6,100 miles on our 2022 LA
and just drove from San Antonio to the Florida Keys Newmar Rally.

Ride and handling is far superior to our 2019 Dutch Star, hell even I-10 across Texas and Louisiana wasnít a bad ride this time .
I by no means are dissing the Dutch Star but ride is the difference between a school bus and and tour bus and the handling is effortlessly. LA ride is by no means harsh and it takes the pot holes like a dream compared to the Freightliner banging.

As mentioned previously, the only negative is the porpoising on the right road conditions. Approaching a bridge with short sections of concrete.

This K3 is a dream to drive!
I see no need for a sway bar to be added at this point.
Nice to know that the 60mm front shocks are improving the ride suspension. However the sway bars are designed to help stabilize the rig during sharp turns. I can't imagine it would detract from an already good suspension. If anything, it should help take a good suspension and make it even better for overall leaning stability.
Road Hogg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spartan