RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2019, 08:51 AM   #1

Spartan Guage Problems

The other day, after airing up the rig, we started driving and the air gauges kept registering low, setting off the buzzers. Very annoying.

We stopped for fuel. Upon filling up and leaving, the buzzers kept going and the fuel gauge only read 3/4 full. After driving about 50 miles, the gauges started working normally. We stopped later in the day, and when we started again, the gauges acted up again.

Has anyone had any experience with this or any ideas for a fix? I called Spartan and the guy said it sounds like a lose ground. Since we are traveling a lot right now, I will have to wait to take apart the dash but thought I would ask all of you.
Thanks
Pete

WVPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2019, 12:03 AM   #2

Our 2007 MADP K2 does the flaky gauge thing about every so often , ours usually is the 12 VDC gauge, it will go to zero, the low voltage light will illuminate and the lamp will catch my eye when it happens. There are no other issues and aren't any load buzzers . I've poked around for the elusive ground , and gave up , eight years ago. Yours sounds a bit more annoying. It's a lot of taking dash cluster stuff apart , start with the easy to get at grounds outside on the dash driver side and in the electrical cabinet and check for corrosion and fastener security. Happy hunting.

rdurdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:40 AM   #3

Not a fix but on mine I can silence an alarm by pressing the "SET" button under the speedo.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Not a fix but on mine I can silence an alarm by pressing the "SET" button under the speedo.
Hmm! I'll try that! And thanks for the other replies also. I'll be looking when I get a chance.
Pete
Old 02-09-2019, 07:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVPete View Post
Hmm! I'll try that! And thanks for the other replies also. I'll be looking when I get a chance.
Pete

To be clear, on mine (Spartan with round gauges), the "SET" button silences alarms that are displayed or phantom ... like the low air alarm while airing up or a phantom check engine with no code.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdurdel View Post
Our 2007 MADP K2 does the flaky gauge thing about every so often , ours usually is the 12 VDC gauge, it will go to zero, the low voltage light will illuminate and the lamp will catch my eye when it happens. There are no other issues and aren't any load buzzers . I've poked around for the elusive ground , and gave up , eight years ago. Yours sounds a bit more annoying. It's a lot of taking dash cluster stuff apart , start with the easy to get at grounds outside on the dash driver side and in the electrical cabinet and check for corrosion and fastener security. Happy hunting.

My 08 KSDP does the same thing. Battery grounds were tightened and it happened 1-2 more times a year later. I may have fixed it when I changed coach batteries.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
To be clear, on mine (Spartan with round gauges), the "SET" button silences alarms that are displayed or phantom ... like the low air alarm while airing up or a phantom check engine with no code.
Well, I found out that as long as the air stays low, the set button shuts off the alarm. As soon as one gauge goes into the "air ok" zone and then drops low again, the buzzer goes off again. So, as long as they stay above the "ok" zone or below, we have silence. Moving back and forth between that point is very noisy and annoying. I'll see what I can find today.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVPete View Post
Well, I found out that as long as the air stays low, the set button shuts off the alarm. As soon as one gauge goes into the "air ok" zone and then drops low again, the buzzer goes off again. So, as long as they stay above the "ok" zone or below, we have silence. Moving back and forth between that point is very noisy and annoying. I'll see what I can find today.

I have some documentation for Ametek Dixon NGI instruments. I have some Spartan info on various Message Centers. If anyone needs them, send me a PM with your email address and I'll send them.

BTW, it's pretty easy to remove the cluster (5 screws) and easy to replug the connectors.
When I replaced the starter, I found a bunch of grounds on a frame stud behind the starter. I cleaned all and it resolved a slow crank of the Genset. Bad grounds are a bummer !!

Tags
ems, problem, problems, spartan