Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2021, 02:59 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan K3 fan gearbox

Took floor up and then engine hatch. From the bottom I can reach the drain and through floor inside I can fill. Not readily seeing side fill level plug. Not sure I have a Allen wrench that size, does anyone know what size it is and also what weight oil I should use?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0245.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	325085
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0243.jpg
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	325086

Name:	IMG_0244.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	257.2 KB
ID:	325087
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2021, 03:01 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan K3 fan gearbox

On 2nd photo if you zoom in, is that the fill too Allen bolt?
Old 04-15-2021, 04:25 PM   #3

I don't know if Spartan has a different spec, but on my Freightliner the lube is 75W90 Synthetic gear lube.
2016 Chevy Silverado 4x4
NCC-1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 04:55 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-1701A View Post
I don't know if Spartan has a different spec, but on my Freightliner the lube is 75W90 Synthetic gear lube.

That is what I bought Mobil 1 75W-90 gear lubricant, found manual but they specify this oil. Not sure what the difference is?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0247.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	325100
Old 04-15-2021, 07:03 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakebuster View Post
Not readily seeing side fill level plug.
Here's a picture I recently took from the bathroom. I have circled what I believe is the side plug. This is a 2018 Spartan K3 (MADP)

Name:	IMG_7226.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	347.0 KB
ID:	325134

As for the oil, the Spartan OPERATION AND MAINTENANCE MANUAL for MOTORHOMES specifically calls for "SHC 75W90 Synthetic Oil".

From the research that I've done, SHC is a Mobile trademark. Most of what I've found online is a LS variant. It includes a Limit Slip additive. The Summit Racing link that was posted apparently does not include the Limit Slip additive, so probably the better oil to use.
flyboy013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:07 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks Flyboy. Tore all this apart today, now just waiting on the oil. I have up to 10mm in Allen sockets for 3/8Ē driveWith the 15L engine, how did you get the clearance and arm length to get that picture.
Old 04-16-2021, 05:24 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I havenít finished the job yet. I removed the bathroom panels to scope out the job. Iíve degreased the box, and was in the process of searching locally for the oil. No luck. I will order from Summit.

Since you will likely finish the job before me, Iím interested in hearing what size Allen wrench Iíll need and any issue encounter and what was the resolution. Thanks!
Old 04-16-2021, 07:10 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Foretravel Owners Club
I do the whole job from the bottom, no need to remove the top fill and risk dropping dirt in the gearbox. I pull the level plug then the drain plug, let the box drain then reinstall the drain plug, then refill with Mobil delvac1 through the level hole with a fluid injector till fluid comes out, once fluid stops dripping out of the level, at that point you know you are filled to the correct level (to the bottom of the level hole) reinstall the level plug and you're done. I use a Mity Vac fluid injector model MV6400 that I have dedicated to 75/90 Mobile Delvac.
mrfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 01:43 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I have up to 10mm in Allen sockets for 3/8” driveWith the 15L engine, how did you get the clearance and arm length to get that picture.
I did a little more work on this today. I broke loose both the drain plug and the level plug. They were pretty snug. It required a 3/8" hex bit socket. For the bottom drain plug I used several extensions in order to have the ratchet below the engine. I then put a pipe on the end of the ratchet to break the drain plug loose.

For the side level plug, you cannot see the plug from the bottom. The Spartan K3 chassis has a heavy duty bracket that the gear box sits on. There is a cutout to allow you to access the plug (see previous picture). I used the 3/8" hex bit socket with several extensions and a copper pipe over the ratchet handle. It still wasn't easy but I was able to break the plug loose. This was from below. With the use of the extensions, I was able to have the ratchet located about 18" forward where there was a little more maneuvering room for the ratchet / pipe.

As mrfix indicated, you should be able to fill the oil from below, but there are several issues that you need to overcome. First off, you can not see the side plug from below. I plan on placing my borescope looking at the hole where the oil will be added. This should allow me to see when the oil start dripping out (ie it's full).

I decided to purchase the quart oil bottle instead of the gallon. This way I can attach tubing to the spout and put the other end of the tubing into the side hole where I will fill it from. There is plenty of room above the plug for me to place the quart bottle while its filling the gearbox. I don't have a suitable transfer pump, but I don't think I need one doing it this way.
Old 04-16-2021, 02:47 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfix View Post
I do the whole job from the bottom, no need to remove the top fill and risk dropping dirt in the gearbox. I pull the level plug then the drain plug, let the box drain then reinstall the drain plug, then refill with Mobil delvac1 through the level hole with a fluid injector till fluid comes out, once fluid stops dripping out of the level, at that point you know you are filled to the correct level (to the bottom of the level hole) reinstall the level plug and you're done. I use a Mity Vac fluid injector model MV6400 that I have dedicated to 75/90 Mobile Delvac.

I cannot do anything except drain the oil from the bottom, my CAC is in the way of access.
Old 04-16-2021, 02:52 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy013 View Post
I did a little more work on this today. I broke loose both the drain plug and the level plug. They were pretty snug. It required a 3/8" hex bit socket. For the bottom drain plug I used several extensions in order to have the ratchet below the engine. I then put a pipe on the end of the ratchet to break the drain plug loose.

For the side level plug, you cannot see the plug from the bottom. The Spartan K3 chassis has a heavy duty bracket that the gear box sits on. There is a cutout to allow you to access the plug (see previous picture). I used the 3/8" hex bit socket with several extensions and a copper pipe over the ratchet handle. It still wasn't easy but I was able to break the plug loose. This was from below. With the use of the extensions, I was able to have the ratchet located about 18" forward where there was a little more maneuvering room for the ratchet / pipe.

As mrfix indicated, you should be able to fill the oil from below, but there are several issues that you need to overcome. First off, you can not see the side plug from below. I plan on placing my borescope looking at the hole where the oil will be added. This should allow me to see when the oil start dripping out (ie it's full).

I decided to purchase the quart oil bottle instead of the gallon. This way I can attach tubing to the spout and put the other end of the tubing into the side hole where I will fill it from. There is plenty of room above the plug for me to place the quart bottle while its filling the gearbox. I don't have a suitable transfer pump, but I don't think I need one doing it this way.

I cannot access fluid level plug or top plug from bottom due to the charge air cooler and piping. Even from the top I had to use a breaker bar to loosen the 3/8Ē Allen bolts. Now have everything loose except the drain and awaiting the Delvac 1 gear oil.
Old 04-16-2021, 02:54 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I cannot access fluid level plug or top plug from bottom due to the charge air cooler and piping. Even from the top I had to use a breaker bar to loosen the 3/8Ē Allen bolts. Now have everything loose except the drain and awaiting the Delvac 1 gear oil.

Forgot picture!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0250.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	337.7 KB
ID:	325185
Old 04-16-2021, 03:06 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan K3 fan gearbox

This was supposed to have been done last year while at the mothership. Being low on fluid and bolts so tight, this reminds me of the 1st time I removed the engine oil filter, not sure it was done.
I guess I could drain it before the oil arrives. I will be using my 3/4Ē tools and extensions to break drain bolt. Also does anyone have the proper torque to tighten?
Old 04-16-2021, 03:29 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Also made some drive on ramps for when I grease, change oil on MH. Forgot to use them for this job so just used jacks and cribbed up with woodClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0251.jpg
Size:	241.7 KB
ID:	325187

Tags
fan, spartan