Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2021, 07:37 AM   #15

Does the FL have the equivalent of Comfort Steer? CS saves a a lot of wear and tear on the driver.
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2021, 10:08 AM   #16
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWBGE View Post
Does the FL have the equivalent of Comfort Steer? CS saves a a lot of wear and tear on the driver.
Comfort Steer is a Newmar product and on both chassis'.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 11:28 AM   #17

Spartan Chassis
I have heard that, if you buy the longer warranty on the Freightliner chassis to match the standard one on the Spartan, the difference is not that much. The one observation I have made is that the high end production coaches on Newmar and many other companies are all on the Spartan chassis. Another observation is that there seems to be fewer numbers of recalls on the Spartan.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 01:38 PM   #18

Just as there is a difference between a Newmar and a Tiffin there is a difference between a Spartan and a FL. Just like Newmar's saying " When you the difference" there is a difference.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 05:01 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Sort of like like Ford versus Chevy, BMW versus Audi... They are different but the same... We have had both, each one had its pluses and minuses. Our current coach came with the Spartan, was not a decision point for us. We just wanted a Newmar for the quality....
Chargersrt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 05:14 PM   #20
jrs

I really love the DriveTech system on our FL. This is our 1st RV so don't have any experience with Spartan. All I can say I will purchase another FL again if we purchase another Newmar.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 05:45 PM   #21
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Roy View Post
I have heard that, if you buy the longer warranty on the Freightliner chassis to match the standard one on the Spartan, the difference is not that much. The one observation I have made is that the high end production coaches on Newmar and many other companies are all on the Spartan chassis. Another observation is that there seems to be fewer numbers of recalls on the Spartan.
It was around $1700 to extend the warranty from 3 years to 5 years on the chassis and 7 years on the axles for my 2017 Dutch Star. If you purchase the warranty after 12 months and less than 18 months there is a $400 extra charge.

We are very happy with our Freightliner and the excellent service we get in Gaffney every year.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:49 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Go visit a Freightliner service facility, then go visit a Spartan service center. Then make your decision. Ive had both and if they finally fixed the dust storm of the FL chassis, the service facilities will make your choice easy.

Bill Belanger
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:06 PM   #23

I have had 4 Spartan chassis coaches and 2 Freightliner. Not much difference except Freightliner has placed huge emphasis on their dealers paying special attention to RVers. Many have built separate check in and servicing facilities with RV service managers, writers and techs and many have full hookups. They call this “The Oasis FreightlinerService Centers”. The president of FCC in Gaffney has told me twice that if I am told a part will not be available for anything over a few days or they can’t work us in for an extended time to call Gaffney and they will intervene. My 2019 New Aire had a power steering pump break before delivery. There were no pumps in the entire Freightliner parts supply line. Dealer called Gaffney, they took one off the assembly and literally flew it to Dallas First Class! True story. I was very anti Freightliner and pro Spartan until I experienced Freightliner first hand. I love my New Aire on a Freightliner and really do not care to go back.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:10 PM   #24

Bring up visiting their service centers reminds of the Spartan service center on our Newmar's that has the fuel filter, air drier, air governor and engine batteries all in one simple to use location.
Glad there are two chassis companies because we RV diesel engine owners get a better chassis by having competition. Many items like engine, trans are the same so they are more similar then different but there is differences.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:13 PM   #25
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I had a Spartan on my DS and now a Freightliner on my LA. I haven’t noticed a big difference. I can comment on Freightliners CS. I am about 50 miles to the nearest dealer and the two times I’ve been there I’ve been treated like royalty. The also had me in and out quickly.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:17 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger2 View Post
You are wrong, no Ventana's have TPMS.
Thank you for the clarification!!
PaulKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:18 PM   #27

Country Coach Owners Club
Spartan trucks were well regarded for hauling fire apparatus around the city streets with a long wheel base and heavy loads (think water tanks).

Freightliner trucks are very highly regarded as a road tractor hauling cargo, livestock and other heavy items in the attached trailer weighing 60,000#.

Neither was designed to carry human passengers in serious comfort.

But each adapted to the market.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:53 PM   #28

Freightliner Owners Club
I had a dealer tell me the frame is slightly heavier thickness on the Spartan, is that correct?
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freightliner, spartan