Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2021, 06:03 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Spartan or Freightliner?

So it used to be that Spartan was the chassis to get. But the Spartan is a $7k upcharge (on the DS anyway). I see that the FL has the gear selector and engine brake on a steering column mounted stalk. What are actual owners saying?
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2021, 06:10 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Freightliner
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:49 PM   #3
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Spartan!

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
Freightliner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
Spartan!

TJ
Well, that about wraps it up!

I guess Spartan wins because there is,an exclamation mark following it.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:54 PM   #5

I only owned a Freightliner.
2007 and 2020
All I can say it’s been a perfect chassis so far.
70,000+ miles total
Same can be said for Cummins 400ISL & 450 ISL
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 08:31 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If you were taken for a ride in a new Dutch Star, blindfolded and sitting in the passenger seat, you couldn't tell what chassis was under you.

We bought the one that was next up on the availability list from our dealer, when we ordered ours, it just happened to be a Freightliner. I wasn't going to wait another three months for the next 40' he had in the cue, which was the Spartan.

Someone will come along and tell you about all the issues that Freightliner has, but forget about all the issues that Spartan has had, or the other way around!

Just a ridiculous argument!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 08:34 PM   #7

Correct me if I am wrong, but my 2021 Ventana 4369 does not have tire pressure monitoring with the Freightliner chassis. But it is standard on the Spartan chassis.
PaulKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 08:49 PM   #8
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
If you were taken for a ride in a new Dutch Star, blindfolded and sitting in the passenger seat, you couldn't tell what chassis was under you.
DS Don is right on the money! It is purely a preference thing, IMHO. Each chassis has a few features the other doesnít, but operationally they are both excellent platforms for a motor home.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 08:53 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I agree with Don, when we were test driving I couldn't tell the difference between the FL and the Spartan. And I wouldn't pay extra just for the Spartan badge.

However, there are some differences that may be worth a few $, or at least there were on the 2021. If you are ordering a '22 you may need your dealer to do some homework because data on the '22 isn't on the website. On the '21 the front axle has a 1k higher weight limit on the Spartan. Since we travel with kids and dogs I'd probably pay something extra for that (probably not $7k but your dealer may discount that too).

In '19 when I was buying our Ventana there was also a difference in the standard warranty with Spartan having a longer period. You could buy an extended warranty from FL to make them comparable - just figure that as narrowing the 7k down a bit more.

Another place where they **could** be different is the brakes. About 5 years ago Spartan had disc brakes all around on the DS. They stopped that after a year or two - but if they added it back it could be something "extra" that would explain some of the cost differential.

In '19 Spartan had the Safe Haul air brake connection standard. I know FL was adding their flavor of the same feature on some coaches. That would be another thing to look into.

When we sat down to negotiate our VT we were set on the FL, but ended up with the Spartan because we were going to have to wait 6 extra months for a FL. Because of that timing for our deal and the limited chassis availability for our dealership, the dealership cut the price of the chassis option from the $3k list down to $500 for us (we'd already negotiated the FL price so we know they didn't just move it).

Both chassis will get you where you are going, and they will both give you a nice class-A ride that will put a grin on your face driving down the road.
Bottom line you should make your dealer earn their fee and tell them you want to hear all of the differences that 7k buys (and report back to us the list). Then you can decide if those things are worth the cost.

- Richard
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 09:14 PM   #10

A couple items that might sway you to the Spartan chassis are 5 year warranty, outstanding net work of service centers, excellent custom service both one the phone/email and the fact that from MA up to King Aire are on Spartan chassis. We have owned 3 new Newmar motors homes in the last 24 years and have traveled to all but one state and a lot of Canada for a total of over 300K miles and couldn't be happier then to have our Newmar's on a Spartan chassis.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 09:19 PM   #11

Spartan Chassis
Yes, I would adamantly say that absolutely there is a huge difference with either that would make you wish you had the other one until the other one made you regret not getting the one you didnít select after reading these forums every day.

And, next year, Iíd say that the other one is definitely not the one as good as one I chose, which was based on my experiences last year, which are no longer an issue because they were fixed.

I think.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 02:57 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Both have 5 year warranty,although freightliner makes theirs optional.

There is no difference. When you really know what your talking about, you realize that either chassis is a great choice.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 04:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulKC View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but my 2021 Ventana 4369 does not have tire pressure monitoring with the Freightliner chassis. But it is standard on the Spartan chassis.
You are wrong, no Ventana's have TPMS.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:27 AM   #14

My rig is on a Freightliner with ZF IFS. I just drove an American Eagle on a Spartan with IFS, not sure (what chassis model)

The only things I noticed is mine had a touch more body roll but rode better. The Spartan was more like a sports car and required a little more driving.

6 to 1 1/2 dozen to the other
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freightliner, spartan