Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2021, 02:16 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Spartan Steerable Tag Not Locking

I have a 2018 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 with a Spartan steerable tag. After my last trip I noticed the tag tire sidewalls up near the tread were getting all chewed up. I called Spartan and they said to make sure my tag wheels are locked when backing up. They should only steer when going forward. I went out to a parking lot, cut it hard, backed up for 20ft and saw the tag wheels were turned, and the tires were rolling over the edge of the tread causing wear on the side wall. Has anyone had a problem with the locking mechanism on their steerable tag? I'm concerned if they are not locking in reverse that they probably aren't locking at speed when going forward.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tag tire wear.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	308.0 KB
ID:	321772  
12Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2021, 03:21 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Before you get too deep into this, you may not have an issue. If you crank the coach hard going forward, then stop and immediately try to back up, the tires can stay turned and cause what you're seeing. My coach is on a Freightliner chassis. I live on a tight cul-de-sac. On occasion, I can't make the loop if I don't go into the turn at the correct point. If I try to back up, the tires will stay turned. I have to jockey it forward a couple of times to get them straight and then back up, at which time they lock.

If you think about it, the tag doesn't really have a way to return to center from a full forward turn, into an immediate back up. During normal driving, unless you enable the tag to turn going forward all the time, you can have some tire edge wear.....looks like something chewed on it. This is just the nature of a tag.

I'm not saying you don't have an issue, but I think what you're experiencing may be normal. Maybe some others will pop in with what theirs do in the same situation.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 08:40 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Yes. Spartan warned me about that before I did my test in the parking lot. Spartan claimed that as long as my front wheels were straight the rear wheels would follow. I don’t quite understand how the tag wheels would follow the front wheel steering when not moving, so I pulled forward far enough to have my tag wheels straight before I shifted to reverse and did the test. If I left the tag control in auto, so the air bags deflated when I shifted to reverse, the problem was less severe.
12Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 09:15 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
My London Aire is on a Freightliner chassis and I had the same issue. I caught the problem before it wore the tires. Dutch Star Don has the correct answer for the problem.
Old 03-20-2021, 05:55 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Great information, only had mine a few months but this has never been mentioned, if it has i have never seen it, any where buy makes complete sense.
Thanks again for the info.
Arty1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 01:01 PM   #6

On my Freightliner chassis, the SOP for backing into a spot is to let the steering system center itself by letting go of the steering wheel, select reverse and wait for the tag axle to dump it's air (about 30 seconds), back up STRAIGHT for 2-3 feet to lock the tag, and THEN start the cut to get turned.

Maybe Spartan is different.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:06 AM   #7

Spartan rear wheel steering

I have a 2020 LondonAire, just traded in the 2015 Mountainaire this spring. I was concerned about the steering back wheels also, its amazing how good it steers but it is more moving parts in the rear. As soon as I left the dealership, I noticed the coach was dog tracking to the ditch on the rear of the coach. I immediately called the dealership to have them tell me its never happened before…..I have an appointment to get it aligned at a local shop that has seen the problems already. It amazes me that this coach was driven 1600 miles to the dealer from the factory and no one noticed it was driving crooked….!
tmcleod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 09:42 AM   #8

Reading with interest.

Just to be sure...we are talking about PASSIVE STEER tags and not a true "Steerable" tag....correct? The post title says "Steerable" tag but I'm assuming we're talking passive steer.

I don't have either, but if I ever get another coach, it's on the list.
2016 Chevy Silverado 4x4
NCC-1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 10:15 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcleod View Post
I have a 2020 LondonAire, just traded in the 2015 Mountainaire this spring. I was concerned about the steering back wheels also, its amazing how good it steers but it is more moving parts in the rear. As soon as I left the dealership, I noticed the coach was dog tracking to the ditch on the rear of the coach. I immediately called the dealership to have them tell me its never happened before…..I have an appointment to get it aligned at a local shop that has seen the problems already. It amazes me that this coach was driven 1600 miles to the dealer from the factory and no one noticed it was driving crooked….!
I believe that most new MHs need to be Aligned “professionally.” Twice over the years I’ve had alignments done at Spartan in Michigan only to have it redone shortly thereafter. It is amazing to watch the “All Wheel” alignment done. Very technical. Good money spent!
Old 06-03-2021, 03:26 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcleod View Post
I always thought the transport driver had/has a perfect opportunity to note issues on a new coach while doing the often long delivery drive. They would see any immediate issues, make note and then notify the dealer when they arrive....but I doubt they want to get involved or the dealer wants to hear it.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
spartan