Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2008, 03:26 PM   #1

Hi all,

I'm considering purchasing a used newmar, currently comparing a 97 DS on a Spartan / 250 Cummins and a 98 KS with Freightliner / 210 hp Cummins. Any pros/cons I should watch for?
Differences in power/torque? Anything at all?

ALL insights welcome!! Sharon

2007 Chevy Crew Cab Pick-em-up Truck
tnsharon07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2008, 03:26 PM   #2

Hi all,

I'm considering purchasing a used newmar, currently comparing a 97 DS on a Spartan / 250 Cummins and a 98 KS with Freightliner / 210 hp Cummins. Any pros/cons I should watch for?

ALL insights welcome!! Sharon

Old 02-24-2008, 12:48 AM   #3

Hi Sharon, and welcome. The Freightliner you are talking about is a front engine I believe. Therefore, without question, I would advise to go for the Spartan, if only those choices were available.
The FL front engine has a top speed on level ground of just over 60 miles per hour, and I mean flat out.

Peter
Old 02-24-2008, 03:19 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I agree with Peter about the older diesel pullers.

Not too much good has been said about them by owners.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 03:27 AM   #5

Thanks much! I was already leaning heavily towards the pusher and this helps me a bunch. See ya out there in my Newmar before too long, I hope! sharon

Old 02-24-2008, 02:43 PM   #6

Good luck, Sharon.

Peter
Old 02-25-2008, 12:44 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I have two friends who each have a 98 Dutch Star and both have 300 Cummins engines and are on Spartan Chassis. Spartan is definately the preferred chassis.

I don't know what year Spartan started putting independent front suspension (IFS) under the Dutch Star. The 97 may or may not have it, but the 98s did. If it does have the IFS, check the coach out for broken ball-joint boots.

Both of my friends 98s (purchased used) have broken ball-joint boots (protective cover for ball joint moving parts). The supplier of those ball joints had a problem in that year and Spartan helped customers with replacement of the ball-joints. Unfortunately the replacement deal from Spartan has expired, and both of my friends coaches need the ball joints replaced. The estimated cost for parts and labor is approximately $3000, and according to Spartan there is only a limited choice of repair facilites that are qualified to do this work.

Buy the Spartan, but before you buy, check the ball joints and make sure they have been replaced, or have the seller to replace them in the deal before you purchase the unit, if possible.

However, if the 97 Dutch Star has a straight axle under the front end, the above information does not apply.
ricere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:51 PM   #8

Thank you VERY much for that info, ricere. I will definately look at that! sharon

Old 02-25-2008, 02:02 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
ricere,

Great post. Your insight is well appreciated I'm sure. While I'm not directly affected by the information, the spirit of you sharing information makes this forum great and continue to grow.

Thank you from someone who has learned so much from willing RVers such as yourself.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:37 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tnsharon07:
Hi all,

ALL insights welcome!! Sharon </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also there is a huge difference in the torque between the 210HP and the 250HP
The 250 HP was a large blok diesel, if memory serves me correctly it has 950FP of torque.
jmon129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:16 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ricere:

I don't know what year Spartan started putting independent front suspension (IFS) under the Dutch Star. The 97 may or may not have it, but the 98s did. If it does have the IFS, check the coach out for broken ball-joint boots.

Both of my friends 98s (purchased used) have broken ball-joint boots (protective cover for ball joint moving parts). The estimated cost for parts and labor is approximately $3000

However, if the 97 Dutch Star has a straight axle under the front end, the above information does not apply. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1998 was the first year for IFS on Spartan motorhome chassis applications.

Jeff Regan