Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2021, 07:05 AM   #1

Spartan vs Freightliner New Aire

2021 Spartan vs Freightliner
Can anyone give me advice as to the 2021 Spartan chassis vs Freightliner .
We are purchasing a Newmar New Aire The Spartan seems much more complicated to use and I an concerned with the availability of Spartan Service
sfarkasmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2021, 08:47 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I own a Spartan and am very pleased with it. I don’t know much about the New Aire, I definitely like the IFS on my Spartan over the I beam front end on my previous coach.
FWIW.....King Aire is the top of the line coach for Newmar. The only chassis offered on the King Aire is Spartan. As yourself why.
Old 05-15-2021, 09:54 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
King Aire is the top of the line coach for Newmar. The only chassis offered on the King Aire is Spartan. As yourself why.
I have asked myself that question many times, especially when I was putting together my current coach. Absent anything from Newmar to the contrary, the only conclusion I could draw was Newmar could get a better deal from Spartan, or Newmar’s specs at the price they were willing to pay didn’t fit the FL business model.

It’s all speculation unless and until Newmar officially says otherwise. FL is certainly capable of producing a chassis that is as good or better than the competition.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 10:16 AM   #4

We have had 2013 Moutain air freight liner chassis then 2014 Essex spartan chassis. Both rode very well could not tell any difference in ride. But as far as servicing chassis freight liner service centers are everywhere compared to spartan. Spartan services centers are far and few between compared to freightliner.
tmh1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 12:45 PM   #5
Rd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarkasmd View Post
Can anyone give me advice as to the 2021 Spartan chassis vs Freightliner .......

just a question of curiosity, and one that you may want to ask, fwiw.

I now when freightliner came up with the NA chassis, the chassis was too high. Newmar needed to have the body lowered in the chassis. So as part of their production for NA coaches, newmar would build a lower frame rail between the front and rear axles. Then remove the original freightliner chassis frame rails, so the body can be lowered in the frame. btw, this is not all that uncommon. There were other RV manufacturers, I believe, whom have had similar processes.

I am curious as to if Spartan chassis are built to accommodate the lower body builds for the NA, or if Spartan chassis are also being modified same as their freightliner counter parts?
Old 05-15-2021, 05:39 PM   #6

The last two times we were at Colton Truck/RV there were FL RV's there for service when there is a FL large service center in Fontana 5 miles down the road. The first there was a new London Aire there for a over heading issue and had been at FL twice for the problem and they couldn't find the problem. After warranty period you can take your coach to any service center you want. Most items are similar and common on our Newmar's. But not to go to far out there there is a difference just as there are between Entegra and Newmar.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 09:00 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We have a 2021 NA with the Spartan chassis. We special ordered 1 year ago and were not able to compare chassis as NA's with Spartan chassis were not out yet.

One nice thing on the 2021's Freightliner was the engine brake on the steering console. With Spartan it's on the side console.

Ultimately we decided to get the Spartan as it had the air brake hookup for connection to Airforce one break controller and were much closer to Spartan factory in Charlotte, Michigan . Airforce one can be done on a freightliner with a few more parts.

Our salesman test drove our RV and said he was going to recommend the Spartan to customers when special ordering. When we ordered he was recommending the Freightliner.
bsla11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 10:05 PM   #8

We have for 24 years always have driven our Newmar's with Jake/exhaust brake on. Know just how much need to rest right foot to not have it on when going down a mountain or juut not want to use it.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 01:27 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarkasmd View Post
Can anyone give me advice as to the 2021 Spartan chassis vs Freightliner .
We are purchasing a Newmar New Aire The Spartan seems much more complicated to use and I an concerned with the availability of Spartan Service
I own a 2018 NA on the Freightliner, when I purchased it I would have opted for the Spartan as I have owned 2 Newmar's on Spartan Chassis. I have been pleased with the FL mainly due to Service being so much more convenient.
Old 05-16-2021, 06:24 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a Tiffin Allegro Bus on a Spartan chassis for 12 years. I now have a Newmar New Air on a FL chassis. I have had issues with the chassis components on both and my take on the availability of service is that while FL seems to be everywhere the number of places that actually know anything about motorhome chassis is pretty small out in my neck of the woods. Spartan service centers are typically very far and few between but we were fortunate to not have much work needed over the years so it was not an issue. We had a local diesel shop that worked on motorhomes and they did the annual maintenance stuff. For warranty repairs we found a place in Henderson, NV; a couple of hours away and they did a great job.

Overall, I liked my Spartan but I can't compare it to the FL since the coaches are worlds apart in size and function. We have had our share of FL issues so far and some may never be resolved (Valor TPMS).

Pick what you want and don't sweat it.

Tags
air, freightliner, spartan