Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2016, 08:57 PM   #1

Specials - Are any highly recommended?

I am ordering a 2017 Dutch Star 4369. Any there "Specials" that are considered a good add-on for most buyers?

I noticed one dealer has a unit on his lot that has a Special installing an HDMI cable from the front TV to the rear TV. What's this about?
and: The Aviators: Stories of Helicopter Combat in Vietnam 1971-72
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2016, 10:11 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Funny... just a story...

when we bought our Airstream, we started at a local dealer...

Walked in, all looked neat, they had a placard out. price of the unit was listed, and then it also listed a "special package" that totaled $7800... and the placard outlined a list of stuff that justified the up charge. "Neat" I thought.

A little more research revealed that the "package" was all normally included stuff, exactly they way they make them. Even spoke with the rep for the area who confirmed this was a trumped up charge as all trailers included all that stuff.

Ended up buying from a dealer 800 miles away, for about $35,000 less...

Just a funny story about "Specials" and "Packages" .. YMMV
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:13 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Now what I absolutely WOULD make sure of, if I were ordering a DSDP, is that the dealer didn't chimp me on the A/C units.

Be sure all THREE units are 15k units.... (the dealer could order with 13.5k's or order with 2 A/C's thinking you're none the wiser.)
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:25 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Newmar will build a coach almost any way a customer wants it. You can add outlets, change some interior items and so on. I believe the op is asking if any other folks have ordered their coach with any of these extra options or changes and found any special order items handy.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LK23 View Post
I am ordering a 2017 Dutch Star 4369. Any there "Specials" that are considered a good add-on for most buyers?

I noticed one dealer has a unit on his lot that has a Special installing an HDMI cable from the front TV to the rear TV. What's this about?
Don't know what unit you're referring to here. And I've only seen the Order form for a 2017 Canyon Star. HDMI is standard in all 2017 CS's. Electronic storage would be up front in a cabinet over the driver's seat, cables running to the mid-coach television and the television in the bedroom.

Get the order form for a DSDP so you are knowledgeable about what's standard and what's optional.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:40 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:

We had a HDMI cable run from the front overhead electronics cabinet to the rear TV so we could install a Dishnet Hopper and a Joey in the front cabinet and feed the bedroom TV from the Joey via HDMI. It is a simple way to have a two receiver Satelite system.
pshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 11:14 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Look for my 2016 Deliveries thread, I listed 34 specials not in the options list. Pm me with any questions.
Some of the specials that I am so glad we did:
Lights in pantry and under bathroom cabinets when you open the door.
Sani-Con system
HDMI cable from dinette to electronics cabinetry. This way I hook up my laptop for stored movies and watch on TV.
Extra outlets all over.

Now they will do the See Level gauges, make sure you get it.

I wish I had gotten the Travelers dish, we got the auto tracking, it's limited.
Make sure you get all AGM batteries, try to push for Lifeline brand. The Chinese that are standard are not very good.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:48 AM   #8

Frasco,

Will they install the Sea Level in leu of normal system or install during factory delivery? Thanks for sharing.
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:00 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I'm developing my list of specials for hopefully ordering later this year. It depends on the model but thanks to Dutch Star Don and a few others who have taken his idea, I plan to ask for another KIB switch in a better location closer to the sink since it includes the water pump switch. I plan on ordering DSDP 4310 and that switch is behind the passenger seat away from the kitchen area. Also lots of though to switches, outlets, and custom wiring for A/V systems, including a HDMI matrix instead of the two 1x4 HDMI splitters so any TV can see any input.

I'm curious about the SeeLevel monitors as well since they are much more precise than the typical ones.

Bill
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:58 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
They would not install them in lieu of the regular ones. BUT, that was last year. I trailed to the VPN of engineering at Tampa, and he said they're should have been no reason why I was turned down. I believe you can get it now.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:03 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Thanks FRasco!
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 11:20 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
To the original OP, don't buy a new RV. Saving money is a bonus, but the head aches from having to run your coach to the local dealer to fix what manufacturing has not finished canl drive you crazy and cause you to get a bad taste for RVing.

Do some reading on this site alone will back up these words.

My two cents worth.

Dave
03 American Eagle
Old 07-24-2016, 11:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by denochs View Post
To the original OP, don't buy a new RV. Saving money is a bonus, but the head aches from having to run your coach to the local dealer to fix what manufacturing has not finished canl drive you crazy and cause you to get a bad taste for RVing.

Do some reading on this site alone will back up these words.

My two cents worth.

Dave
03 American Eagle
My 2cents is the opposite. When I ordered my 2017 CS, time was a factor. How long did I want to spend finding a coach that fit my needs. I debated long and hard on what I could and couldn't live with.

Could I live with dark wood? No. Queen bed? No. Bells and whistles I didn't need or want? Maybe but to some extent, I would be paying for these Options and Specials. The 2016 CS had 2 choices for exterior graphics. I hated both of them.

I realize I'm losing some money with depreciation going out the door. How long I own the coach determines how that looks down the road.

Not all Newmar owners belong to this forum or post elsewhere. There are some who have more problems, or tweaking, than others. I think these people are the few. Maybe all coaches from all factories need tweaking and fixing but I don't think it's epidemic.

I bet there are lots of things I can fix myself without needing professional help with.

I think the opinion that all or most new RV's have bugs for the first year is a rumor. That wouldn't stop me from buying new and I'm on my 3rd new RV now.

Finally, there's the ''new'' unused, built to my specs, no one else has slept in this bed, or scratched the kitchen counter, or didn't run the gen enough, feeling I get from ''new.''

My dealer is in California. Part of the reason (only part) I'm picking up at at the factory is I didn't want my coach driven 2,000 miles even by a ''professional'' driver. Nobody will get a Newmar newer than picking it up at the factory. No amount of money will buy that ''newness'' but then that's my opinion.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:02 PM   #14
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:

The HDMI from front to rear would be to allow use of a single Satellite receiver to be viewed in the bedroom and the front TV's. It's a very popular addition. Something that many wrongly assume is standard.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote