RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2009, 07:25 AM   #1

Squeaking floor. 2000 DSDP

We have developed a squeak in our bedroom floor. The area is adjacent to the bathroom area. The bathroom floor is wood or similar material and the bedroom is carpeted. No bedroom slide. How do I go about stopping the squeak?

Thanks in advance for all the opines.

Johnny

johnnydurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2009, 08:49 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Johnny,

Sounds like some water has gotten into your sub flooring from the Bathroom. Make sure you don't have any water seeping into the flooring. Is the bathroom floor "spongy", or soft?

If this is not the case, try this.

I love challenges such as this .

Without tearing up the whole rig, I would drill a small hole in the top flooring wood, near the center of the affected area, and inject some liquid carpenters wood glue and then plug the hole with an appropiate sized piece of wooden dowel. You could make a sleeve to go over the injectors needle, out of a piece of dowel the size of the hole your drilling (taper one end slightly with sandpaper and use downpressure on the sleeve to give you a temporary tight fit to inject the glue under some pressure). Then cut, and place, a piece of thick plywood over the affected area and put something real heavy on the plywood. Let it set up for a day or two.

DO NOT USE GORILLA GLUE or any other type of expanding, foaming glue.

If you drill through carpet it will catch and grab if you use a twist drill. Not nice results . Use a wood "Forstner drill bit".

First, cut a slit in the carpet using a sharp utility knife. Elevate the carpet on each side of the future hole and hold it back. When finished, use a small piece of double faced carpet tape, the kind used when carpet installers splice sections together, to finish the repair.

Do it again in another area if it is still squeeking.

It's worth a try and won't cost you much.

Good luck,

Old 12-20-2009, 09:01 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Johnny,
Max has the right process. For a heavy weight to rest on the glued area, the only thing I found that works are two cinder blocks (or equivalent weight). They need to be left in place for no less than 3 times the time it takes for the glue to thoroughly dry.

If you are uncomfortable doing this work, try contacting a local flooring store. Talk to their installers. They do this repair all the time.

The critical factor on the success of the repair is the length of time the weight remains on the affected area. The glue must be thoroughly dry before the weight is removed.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 03:54 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hi johnnydurok welcome to the Newmar forum and irv2.
Good suggestions from both our engineers also make sure you do not have a leak in bath as Max said do not want bulging wood floor.
Enjoy the forums and do post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:20 AM   #5

Thanks to all the engineers for the opines. The area that squeaks is about 1 1/2 ft square. It would seem to me that glue in a small area would not solve this "large" area squeaking. But I know nothing about squeaking floors and the solution.

The floor is not spongy that I have noticed at all. I will check out the area more thouroughly and see if there are any water issues.

I may have a flooring store tackle this one. I am more of a gorilla on repair projects and this may require a more gentle touch!!

Johnny
Old 12-21-2009, 08:15 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Johnny,
The glue solution will work. It has worked for me in the stick house and the coach.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:23 AM   #7

You guys may be right, but I don't know how you surmised that the squeek was the result of water getting into the subfloor?

I recently had a major squeek in our bedroom floor, also carpeted, that's adjacent to our shower/bath area, and I never had any thoughts it may have been caused by water. In my case, I simply took my unit back to the factory this past October (still under warranty). They fixed it, and I never asked what caused it. We had another squeek in our kitchen that the factory also fixed, which they said was caused by flexing around the heat duct under the floor in that area.

Rather than cutting a slit in the carpet, drilling a hole in the subfloor, gluing it, etc., might it not it be a lot easier to simply lift the carpet from one edge and look under it first? Or look for other signs of water damage? Maybe you could see the subfloor from beneath?

But what do I know? -- other than I'm not very good at fixing these types of things myself!

I've had floor squeeks before in other RV's - one was water damage, which I should have recognized sooner due to discoloring in the vinyl flooring that was above it, and another squeek was caused (I was told) by having too large of a span between the crossmembers on the frame in that particular area (manufacturers design defect).

John
MT flyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:20 AM   #8

I think I will give it a try. The area that squeaks the most is adjacent to the bedroom heat duct. When I go to inject some glue, how deep into the wood underneath do I go? Do I make one hole, inject, weight it down, and see if it works? Or several small holes in one area, inject, and then weight it down?

Thanks for the assist,

John
Old 12-22-2009, 07:40 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydurok View Post
We have developed a squeak in our bedroom floor. The area is adjacent to the bathroom area. The bathroom floor is wood or similar material and the bedroom is carpeted. No bedroom slide. How do I go about stopping the squeak?

Thanks in advance for all the opines.

Johnny
Johnny,
I have used this for my home for squeaky floors, (through carpet and into wood) and it works great.

Fix Squeaky Floors - Repair Carpeted, Hardwood, Subfloor, and Stair Squeaks
Old 12-22-2009, 11:10 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm all for "hardy1000's" solution. What a great idea!! Watch the demo movie.

For twenty bucks you can't go wrong---

You can look at something else later if this doesn't work

johnnydurok-

If you remove the vent maybe you can inject the glue directly between the flooring and the joist or sub flooring- No need to slit the carpet then.
Carpet is very forgiving when you work with it.

Good luck,
Old 12-23-2009, 12:32 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Johnny,

I've also seen posted elsewhere (time-addled brain can't remember where) that someone else fixed squeaks in their floor by tightening bolts in the basement that hold the subflooring down. In the bath/bedroom area, that could be tough to do, since there isn't easy access like there would be up front via the basement storage... but it's something to consider. In their case, it was in the living room near the tile floor for the kitchen and they were able to access the bolts on the "ceiling" of the basement compartment beneath it. A couple of the bolts had wiggled loose over the miles and allowed the subfloor to flex a bit. Tightening the bolts snugged everything back up and stopped the squeaking.

Just a thought... perhaps a stupid one, but a thought nonetheless.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:15 AM   #12

Thumbs up

That looks like the cats' patootie to me. I will order a kit if I am unable to find it locally.

Can anyone tell me what the construction is like under the floor? Joists, underlayment, etc.?

Johnny
Old 12-25-2009, 11:20 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Johnny, a late answer to your question this link should help. You can visit Newmar site and find out all your construction question answers there.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:09 AM   #14

Thumbs up

I received my Squeak No More kit and I am sold on this solution for squeaks.

It took me about 10 minutes to install 8 screws and it has taken care of the problem!

Thanks for the opines and the heads up about the above.

Johnny