Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2014, 11:18 AM   #1

Squealing belt noise on 03 Dutchstar

:I have a 2003 dutchstar, on my latest trip i started hearing a squealing noise every time i used the engine brake,both belts are new and adjusted correctly.i tried turning off the AC it still squealed.turbocharger??
r vernerey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2014, 11:29 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Exhaust leak or air leak to exhaust brake cylinder?
SuperSteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 12:53 AM   #3

I had the same issue. Turned out to be a warped exhaust manifold. Look around the manifold for soot stains near a particular cylinder. Mine was at the #3 cylinder. This was on a ISL400 Cummins.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 08-16-2014, 01:19 AM   #4

We had a squeal that sounded like a belt, but turned out to be an air leak in the Charge air cooler hose to the turbo. The hose rubbed against the side of the engine compartment and wore a hole, which was difficult to see. ours is the 5.9 ISB
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 03:58 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Just experienced same problem several weeks ago and found that there was a small hole in the hose on the pressure side of the turbocharger and mine was also impossible to see. Evidently a support bracket broke and the hose was rubbing on the side of the engine compartment. Had repair done at Cummins Coach Care - around $300.

Dave O
Old 08-17-2014, 11:54 AM   #6

I had the same issue on smaller Cummins engine I changed the belt adjuster didn't help. I talked with Ford dealer he suggested the exhaust gaskets. I said its a squeaky sound like a bearing he said trust me. What I found was the original gaskets are multi layer steel. The center burnt out and it actually was whistling. I hope this helps Robert
Freestyle21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:12 AM   #7

belt Squeal

I had a loud squeal for a while on my '04 330 Cummins every time I used the dash AC or exhaust brake. Turned out to be a bad bearing on the belt tensioner. Had it replaced at local Cummins dealer and no problems since. Just another possibility for the cause of that squeal.