Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2017, 04:17 PM   #1

Stand Leaking Hydraulic Oil

Setting up yesterday on a very uneven site I noticed I had some hydraulic oil (pink) dripping down from our front left stand.

I put the stands back up & I probably lost an oz. of oil.

Could this be a seal or possibly a bad hose?

Does anyone know where the hydraulic reservoir is located? I check by the generator & in the engine compartment>

Just curious if anyone else has any knowledge?

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2017, 04:26 PM   #2

Could be either but most probably a seal. A hose would spray a lot. Ours is in the from generator compartment. Carry extra fluid with you for now.
judgebobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 04:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftiernay View Post
Setting up yesterday on a very uneven site I noticed I had some hydraulic oil (pink) dripping down from our front left stand.

I put the stands back up & I probably lost an oz. of oil.

Could this be a seal or possibly a bad hose?

Does anyone know where the hydraulic reservoir is located? I check by the generator & in the engine compartment>

Just curious if anyone else has any knowledge?

Thanks
Only you can determine where the oil leak originates from. Did you crawl under to look at the jack?
Any sign of an oil leak is of concern. An ounce in itself is not going to effect the operation of the system but you certainly need to find out where this came from and correct it.
If the jack was fully extended it may have leaked from around the seal. That said, from experience, I can tell you, if you are parked in a spot where the jacks must be fully extended to get to level, you should either move or use some solid blocking under the pads so the jacks do not fully extend.

I just went through this in a site this summer that I did not like but thought since we were only there for two nights it would be OK. During the night we experienced a severe wind. In the AM, my RR jack would not retract. There was a small amount of oil around the pad and the jack would not retract on its own. Ended up having to replace the jack because the shaft was bent slightly. Expensive lesson. Never park on a site where I need to have any jacks fully extended.

The leveling system should be located up front to the left (passenger side) of the generator. The pumps are mounted on top of the reservoir and there is a hex head plug that has a dipstick attached. Remove the plug to check the oil level. Jacks Must Be Retracted when you check the level.
You will likely not see a low level from an ounce of leakage but suggest you find the source.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:50 PM   #4

Thanks everyone. I have scheduled a trip to the dealership.

I will keep you posted.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:24 AM   #5
Commercial Member

clean the jack and extend it. if the fluid comes from the top, it is either a bad hose fitting, or a sensor leaking. most of the time, its the hose fitting.
if its from the bottom, its a seal.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 06:23 PM   #6

The original HWH hydraulic fluid is clear, which means someone has been adding ATF (pink) so it may have been leaking for a while. Once the seal goes and oil starts running down the leg the jack has to be replaced.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:00 AM   #7

Update: Coach is in the driveway & has been on the stands all night. No signs of any oil.

When I experienced the leaking stand I was using the auto level. My wife told me that she had never seen the front end of the coach so high off the ground including the tires.
I might have had the front shafts fully extended during this procedure.

Is it possible that the pressure forced some oil thru the seal?

No sign of oil from the fitting or sensor.

Thanks
Old 09-15-2017, 01:30 PM   #8

I had slow hydraulic fluid leaks in both my front jacks on my 2016 Dutch Star 4018. I noticed one leaking and after crawling underneath it was obvious the leak was above the cylinder joint. The RV tech noticed the other leak. Both jacks were leaking from the sensor mounted at the top of each jack. Replacing the sensors solved the problem. My hydraulic fluid was red.
RetireeKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:36 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeKeith View Post
I had slow hydraulic fluid leaks in both my front jacks on my 2016 Dutch Star 4018. I noticed one leaking and after crawling underneath it was obvious the leak was above the cylinder joint. The RV tech noticed the other leak. Both jacks were leaking from the sensor mounted at the top of each jack. Replacing the sensors solved the problem. My hydraulic fluid was red.

Just noticed the same thing on one of my front jacks as well. Just ordered 2 new sensors (1 spare) from HWH.
Tjclarke696 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic, leak