Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2023, 08:08 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Starlink flat high performance on newmar

I am wondering if anyone has installed a flat HP starlink on their Late model Newmar with a crowded roof.

My 2022 LA has In motion satellite, stationary satellite, terrestrial antenna, 3 air and 3 roof vents.

The apparent best location is directly above the 1/2 bath, as I have cable and power to the basement from roof. The downside is how crowded the roof area is. I am concerned that I have too many obstacles too close to it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220415_183929.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	388408

The front is even worse.

The only other potential area is the cathedral ceiling, but I am not sure the design of this fiberglass raised roof would be a good secure mount. It lacks metal beams. I don't even walk on it, as I assume it would crumble.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2023, 10:02 AM   #2

RV roofs are designed to support a 300 lb person walking on it. How else would they be able to install the vent covers as repair items or to repair ACs?

I'd put it over the 1/2 bath because you say, easiest access.

Then the mounting...there are many ways to spread the forces of mounting points over a larger surface of a weak mounting area. A trip to a well stocked hardware store will give you plenty of ideas. I would suggest trying to find an Xray view of your roofs construction. A painted steel plate caulked to the surface might do the trick.

This is what the roof construction of a '02 Journey looks like...

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 11:04 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Roof construction is not the issue. It is an issue of obstacles interference with line of sight.

The only portion of the roof that I doubt can be walked on or used for attaching items is the large cathedral over the master bathroom.
Old 03-18-2023, 11:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
Roof construction is not the issue. It is an issue of obstacles interference with line of sight.
Then build a platform.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 11:25 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
I am wondering if anyone has installed a flat HP starlink on their Late model Newmar with a crowded roof.

My 2022 LA has In motion satellite, stationary satellite, terrestrial antenna, 3 air and 3 roof vents.

The apparent best location is directly above the 1/2 bath, as I have cable and power to the basement from roof. The downside is how crowded the roof area is. I am concerned that I have too many obstacles too close to it.
Attachment 388408

The front is even worse.

The only other potential area is the cathedral ceiling, but I am not sure the design of this fiberglass raised roof would be a good secure mount. It lacks metal beams. I don't even walk on it, as I assume it would crumble.
I have been looking at this also and my best idea so far would be to add an aluminum bar from facia support to facia support across the coach bring the surface of the flat dish just above the sides panels.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 12:22 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
My second thought take aluminum channel facing out and make a raised open box and mount the starling bra to it raising the antenna up high. On my 2018 I glued solar panels to the cathedral with no issue
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 12:40 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
My second thought take aluminum channel facing out and make a raised open box and mount the starling bra to it raising the antenna up high. On my 2018 I glued solar panels to the cathedral with no issue
Glued makes sense...and may be another option.

I am liking your idea if aluminum or all strut usage.
Old 03-18-2023, 01:06 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Then build a platform.
thats a very "high tech" response LOL..

sorry ... couldn't resist
HAM - K5OJT - Yaesu 991A
GUS2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 01:46 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GUS2000 View Post
thats a very "high tech" response LOL..

sorry ... couldn't resist

Ha---well he's not wrong, but i was looking for more of an verifed solution that someone has already done.

Stuart has be me thinking with the use of the rails. It would be pretty darn secure with all strut going across, and "building a platform" or a box within the all strut to hold the dishy. Doing it that way might just work.

Next step is to get up on the roof and start measuring the location. I will share my results.
Old 03-18-2023, 02:05 PM   #10

Which Star link package are you going to install? The 2,500 or the 600 ?
Old 03-18-2023, 03:46 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooterbrown View Post
Which Star link package are you going to install? The 2,500 or the 600 ?
I already have 2 of the $600 satellites. I plan on getting one of the $2500 satellite for the RV, and keeping one of the others for times when the sites I am visiting don't work with the roof top.

This keeps my monthly at $300, and gives me some flexibility along with the Tmobile, ATT (x2) and Verizion sim options.
Old 03-18-2023, 03:53 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
We just had the in-motion ($2,500) antenna installed. I tried to do it myself looking at the half bath option and ran into a a problem (holesaw cut into a 110v line - long story). We had an upcoming trip so brought in a pro to get it done. He convinced me the simplest approach was installing up front and going through the front cap into the cabinet over the drive seat. We do not have the number of obstructions up front that you described. Our in motion dish is midship driver side.

We just did a quick 4 day trip and Starlink exceeded my expectations. On day 3 we had to pull into a spot that had trees overhanging half the antenna. The phone app confirmed half the view was obstructed but we still got enough signal from the back half to get good internet. I was impressed with the 140 degree antenna range even with it angled forward on the wedge bracket.

Long story short - you might want to test it for obstructions in various spots on the roof before making a final decision.
RVStitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 04:09 PM   #13

It looks cool, but not being able to move dishy seems like a bad idea. I have 150’ cable and have run it through the woods to a clearing. At one campground we had no phone or cell data, and heavy tree canopy overhead. Being able to move it gave me date and phone over Wi-Fi. That would not have happened with a permanently mounted unit. What am I missing here?
2002 Country Coach Affinity 42' #6063 CAT C12 505hp & Matching Featherlite Trailer or 2009 Lexus GX Toad
MarylandRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 04:17 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVStitchy View Post
We just had the in-motion ($2,500) antenna installed. I tried to do it myself looking at the half bath option and ran into a a problem (holesaw cut into a 110v line - long story). We had an upcoming trip so brought in a pro to get it done. He convinced me the simplest approach was installing up front and going through the front cap into the cabinet over the drive seat. We do not have the number of obstructions up front that you described. Our in motion dish is midship driver side.

We just did a quick 4 day trip and Starlink exceeded my expectations. On day 3 we had to pull into a spot that had trees overhanging half the antenna. The phone app confirmed half the view was obstructed but we still got enough signal from the back half to get good internet. I was impressed with the 140 degree antenna range even with it angled forward on the wedge bracket.

Long story short - you might want to test it for obstructions in various spots on the roof before making a final decision.
I had a special from Newmar to install a conduit in the mid bath to the roof, and another to the basement. This was a lesson learned from my 2013 when I watched other coaches being built, and saw how they run the 110V along the roof ---very scary

Tags
newmar