Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2022, 12:24 PM   #1
HTTR

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Starlink on my Ventana

I've had the Starlink terminal now for a couple of weeks. It's been running well even at my current site which has some tree obstructions. I'm getting short interuptions every 10 to 15 minutes, but it's still usable for streaming and general internet connectivity. I'm sure it will be better when we've moved to a location with less foliage.

It's currently sitting on a table in the front of the site with the router plugged into power in one of the cargo bays. We're heading for my son's house where I had a Flagpole Buddy pole and mount delivered a couple of weeks ago. If the Flagpole Buddy mount works as I expect, I shouldn't have to climb the ladder to set up the dish each time.

I'm prepared to do some surgery on the Starlink cable. I've read all of the cautions and success stories about doing this. My thinking is putting a shielded RJ45 jack on the cable at the dish end and connecting it to one of these installed in the rear cap near the ladder.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WF31P3S...v_ov_lig_dp_it

On the back side of the panel mount I want to run a shielded weatherproof 23awg patch cable of the appropriate length. Question is, do I run it on top of the coach or underneath.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WGY4LDY...v_ov_lig_dp_it

I'm using one of the shelves in the half bath as a media/technology space. I have power and space there and currently run a Cat5 cable from my Togo on the roof to my router there. That router is what I use to connect to all of the devices in the coach and it picks up both WiFi and the hardwired connection from the Togo. I'll use the Ethernet adapter from the Starlink router to connect to my current router.

Looking at the area behind the rear cap there is a wall/barrier right above the radiator. As stated previously, I don't want to have to climb the ladder each time I set up the dish. Does anyone know what is above this wall/barrier? Is the area from the top of the cap to this barrier fairly open where I could fish a cable from a hole in the barrier to a hole in the top of the cap?

The other option would be to run the cable under the coach in some split wire loom. Has anyone tried to fish a cable up the side of the vent stack? The vent stack is accessible from a cabinet in the half bath. I'm thinking that could be a path from the underneath the coach into the half bath.

Call me crazy if you want. I'm just trying to come up with a clean way to run the cable from the rear of the coach to the half bath area.

Thanks.
Fulltiming since 10-15-2019
swaff54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2022, 08:19 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I can't answer your questions, but I'm in for the result. Hope to get my Starlink in the near future. The splicing of the cable seems to be a great way to go with the pole mount and keeping the router inside.
Scepter40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 11:50 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Can you buy and ethernet adapter from starlink and avoid the wire splicing? I have one and I plan to use it to feed directly into my travel router setup in the rv. When the mobile antenna comes out I would mount it directly\permanently to roof and feed wire down old fridge vent. fyi - just my current plans based on what I know today....

but watching irv2 and reddit for more ideas.
Old 05-13-2022, 07:51 PM   #4
HTTR

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfg9585 View Post
Can you buy and ethernet adapter from starlink and avoid the wire splicing? I have one and I plan to use it to feed directly into my travel router setup in the rv. When the mobile antenna comes out I would mount it directly\permanently to roof and feed wire down old fridge vent. fyi - just my current plans based on what I know today....

but watching irv2 and reddit for more ideas.
I have the Ethernet adapter ordered from Starlink. My plan to splice would be on both ends of the factory cable because, from what I understand and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, the factory Starlink cable is not rated for extended outdoor exposure such as across the roof or under the coach. Even if it were, I would be left with the cable hanging somewhere off the back of the coach when I stow the Flagpole mount and we're headed down the road.

Currently, dishy is sitting outside on a table and the router is getting power from an outlet in the basement and is in there as well. I could do something similar when I get to the flagpole next week, but that would still only be a temporary solution.

BTW. I did see this somewhere, maybe Facebook or Reddit. The 17 gallon black and yellow storage cube from Lowes is perfect for transport. I kept the original plastic packing material from Starlink and trimmed a couple of corners off. It fits perfectly in cube and has the cutouts for the router, dish and stand with plenty of room left over for the cables.
Old 05-13-2022, 08:26 PM   #5

Still watching to see how this unfolds with the early adopters. Hope Wineguard is working on an antenna solution. Can see this as an alternative in no cell areas. For now, I am using the FMCA connect hot spot which has been great for TV and net.
As a side note, watched the launch this afternoon of another 53 Starlink satellites out of Vandenberg.
Old 05-14-2022, 08:24 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was under the impression that StarLink was not mobile. Is this just user work arounds or is it being marketed as mobile?
Old 05-14-2022, 08:36 AM   #7
HTTR

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWINCAMSAM View Post
I was under the impression that StarLink was not mobile. Is this just user work arounds or is it being marketed as mobile?
Depends on how you define mobile. They adding roaming capability a month or so ago and started charging for roaming a couple of weeks ago. I ordered mine with a service address in Tennessee. I had it shipped to a different location and have used it in 4 different locations since I received it.

Mobile as in using it driving down the road would violate the terms of service. I've seen videos of folks who are doing that, but I'm not interested in trying that at this time. Our travel days only last a 2 to 3 hours at the most.

Starlink will not be our only connection option. We're keeping cell service.
Old 05-15-2022, 10:51 AM   #8

Spartan Chassis
I'm not interested unless it is fully mobile. My camera's video will upload to the cloud as we drive. That way, if we're in a serious accident and someone steals the camera, I have any pertinent video at my disposal.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 10:56 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Roy View Post
I'm not interested unless it is fully mobile. My camera's video will upload to the cloud as we drive. That way, if we're in a serious accident and someone steals the camera, I have any pertinent video at my disposal.
Which camera do you have?
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 11:56 AM   #10

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
Which camera do you have?
It was built by a local custom security company and I am not sure what equipment they used. They tied into the RV cameras and added a couple more. The system runs through a 1 T digital recorder and then upload to a cloud service. It currently uses a hotspot for uploading. The one glitch I occasionally encounter is lost signal, which is what I'm trying to remedy. I suspect StarLink would have the same issue. Yea, I am a bit paranoid about security.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 12:43 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Roy View Post
It was built by a local custom security company and I am not sure what equipment they used. They tied into the RV cameras and added a couple more. The system runs through a 1 T digital recorder and then upload to a cloud service. It currently uses a hotspot for uploading. The one glitch I occasionally encounter is lost signal, which is what I'm trying to remedy. I suspect StarLink would have the same issue. Yea, I am a bit paranoid about security.
I would like to duplicate the efforts. Tying into the RV camera is exactly the method I would want to use.

If you could get pictures or any other details, I would greatly appreciate it.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 10:13 PM   #12

Starlink RV

Starlink now offers a mobility option as a $25.00 add-on.

Their website offers; Residential, Business, and RV as service types now.

I am looking at my box and will install it tomorrow when I arrive at my destination so have an interest in wiring also. Ready to order my flag pole buddy also so I will be interested in what you think about it.
rlc1825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 10:40 PM   #13
HTTR

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlc1825 View Post
Starlink now offers a mobility option as a $25.00 add-on.

Their website offers; Residential, Business, and RV as service types now.

I am looking at my box and will install it tomorrow when I arrive at my destination so have an interest in wiring also. Ready to order my flag pole buddy also so I will be interested in what you think about it.
I did get the flag pole buddy installed on Saturday. Seems OK so far. We're in a "parking lot with hookups" for the week. No obstructions at all here. Leaving on Friday. I ran the cable from dishy to the rear bay in front of the rear tires on the passenger side where the modem is plugged in to power. When I take it down either Thursday night or Friday morning I'll have a better idea of how satisfied I am with the pole.

Still trying to decide if I want to splice the cable and run it inside. I've had no suggestions/responses on my original question about running in the rear cap or up the waste stack to the half bath. I'll have the Ethernet adapter when we get to Tennessee in a couple of weeks.
Old 05-27-2022, 03:07 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Would appreciate picks if you can.

bowpulpit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent, ventana