RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2015, 11:20 AM   #1

Starter issues

I have an 07 Newmar Kountry Star with a Cummins engine. It has recently begun to have an issue with starting. When I turn the key, i hear a click but nothing happens. I can repeat and usually about the 3rd time it will start. Is this an issue with the starter relay or some other problem Any information would be helpful.

Thanks

Logden

logden is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2015, 11:34 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by logden View Post
I have an 07 Newmar Kountry Star with a Cummins engine. It has recently begun to have an issue with starting. When I turn the key, i hear a click but nothing happens. I can repeat and usually about the 3rd time it will start. Is this an issue with the starter relay or some other problem Any information would be helpful.

Thanks

Logden
Sounds like a poor connection somewhere. I would crawl under and find the starter. Check all connections on the starter to ensure they are tight. If that solves the problem, great. If not, work your way from the starter to the master switch and to the batteries to make sure all connections are clean and tight.
If you still have a problem, chances are the starter solenoid is the culprit but most often its a loose connection problem.

CAUTION!!

Before you apply a wrench to any of these connections, I would remove the Positive Cables off the House and Chassis Batteries to prevent an accidental spark to ground through your wrench.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:56 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Don't forget to check the battery to chassis connection. How good or how old are your batteries?
Siggy
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:44 PM   #4

The batteries are new
Old 02-19-2015, 01:48 PM   #5

I did change the batteries and I will chech all of the connections tomorrow. Thanks for the input
Old 02-19-2015, 01:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by logden View Post
I did change the batteries and I will chech all of the connections tomorrow. Thanks for the input
I need to add a correction to my caution!!

Remove the Negative cables first and then remove the Positive cables. Had a bit of a Senior Moment.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:49 PM   #7

I tightened all of the battery cables and the issue is better but is still there. The first time I turn the key nothing happens but it starts on the second try. Is this a common issue or should I be looking for another problem
Old 02-21-2015, 02:43 PM   #8

I think you may need to pull each connection off and clean with a wire brush.

Starting at the starter, every single cable end. You may even have a bad cable.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 03:04 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
As John said there maybe corrosion under one of the battery posts and also check the cables to the chassis frame for all wiring to your frame from inverter/converter, batteries and Gen.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 04:11 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Anybody think the starter could need to be hit with power a time or two to get it to turn?
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 04:17 PM   #11

PDR John has the solution that worked for me. I did not find an obvious faulty connection but removal, and wire brushing of each connection on the starter took care of the problem for me.
racer0624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 04:21 PM   #12

After all the cleaning of connections if you still have the same problem, I would remove the starter assembly and have it rebuilt. Problem is either bad solenoid or commutator on the starter armature.
Most common is a poor cable connection but once you rule that out the only other step is the starter.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 02-21-2015, 11:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Anybody think the starter could need to be hit with power a time or two to get it to turn?

It sure could be. With things like this, it's a process of elimination. Start with most likely and continue towards the more obscure.

If all cables and the connections are good, that moves him down to solenoid and starter.

I never automatically rule anything out till it's proven it's not the problem.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:33 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
All above suggestions are a great place to start. Mine and several others on this board have done the same thing and mine got progressively worse. One time blocking the fuel pumps it took me a half hour to get it cranked. Someone on this board posted about the fuse/relay box in the basement compartment just behind the right rear tire. (May be located different on yours) I removed the cover and just pushed in firmly on all the fuses and relays and a couple clicked in just a hair. Remarkably I have never had the problem again in the last year. I know, sounds too easy but so far so good!

2006 Newmar Dutch Star 4027
Harm is offline   Reply With Quote