Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2010, 11:13 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
States that require CDL test

Does anyone know where I can get a list of the States that require the driver of a Class A motorhome to take the CDL test and get a D lisence. I have heard that not all states require you to have a have a D lisence to drive a motorhome. But if you are traveling, and you go into a state that requires the D lisence, and the state that you live in and where the motorhome is lisenced in does not require it,If you get stopped etc... and you do not have a D lisence is it a fine for not having a D lisence even though you home state does not. I live in Mississippi and I am not sure if I am required to take the CDL test or not. I cant find out anywhere. So I know that there has to be a list somewhere on the internet that tells which states require the test and which states do not
Thanks
mikeyrph is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2010, 05:52 AM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
No state requires a CDL if your RV is for personal use and not business use.

Some states require a higher class of license for their residents.

If you have the proper class of license in your home state, then you are legal in all states.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:51 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Dirk is correct, you do not need a CDL. The CDL endorsement is only if you drive for hire.

In North Carolina you do need a non-commercial class B license to drive a MH with GVWR over 26000lb. You need a non-commercial class A license to tow a trailer-truck combo over 10,000#.

I learned this at a seminar last year taught by a trooper in the Enforcement division of the North Carolina State Highway Patrol. He mentioned that the states are trying to standardize their license requirements and that NC had changed theirs in the last couple of years to look more like the standard. He said many troopers, drivers license bureaus, etc. still do not know the new rules, so it is very easy to get the wrong information. To answer some of our questions, he looked up the law in a reference book he carries with him.

Also, as Dirk mentioned, the trooper did say that if you're properly licensed in your home state you are legal in all other states (he called it reciprocity).

BTW, I couldn't find this information on NC's DOT website either.

Stewart
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:24 PM   #4

The same is true in PA:

You need a non-commercial class B license to drive a MH with GVWR over 26000lb.

However as noted above for NC, alot of officals do not know the law. I had to go through several individuals at PENNDOT in Harrisburg, before I finally found some one who knew the law, the correct paper work that I needed to fill out and the driving test that I needed to take with the motor home.
Doc C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:16 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Doc C to the Newmar forum and irv2.
Enjoy the forums and enjoy your Dutch Star with many safe miles.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:59 PM   #6

Some states will say you must get a Class ? non-CDL based on the GVWR (the ? is a letter that varies by state).

Virginia offers no such animal. Virginia says I can drive any motorhome with my standard license.

No other state can require me to get a Class ? license, because it doesn't exist in my state. So, reciprocity laws say if it's valid in my state, it's valid in other states.
69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:43 PM   #7

Yup, what they said. IL requires a class B if GVWR is over 26k and a class A if the trailer is over 10k. The CDL law is a Federal law that the states have to comply with and it specifically exempts private owner operated RVs.

All states honor reciprocity, so if you are legal in your home state you are legal anywhere. This applies only to licenses though, not things like length.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:17 AM   #8

Here's the way the law works:

Whatever your state (the one you are licensed in) requires for you to drive your RV is then enforced in whatever state you are in. It doesn't matter if that state has more rigid requirements, you are only responsible for adhering to the requirements of "your home state." It's called a reciprocity agreement and all states agree to it. So....as long as you are properly licensed in your home state for whatever you are driving/towing you are good to go!

2006 Cougar 289 EFS
Firecapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:48 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
GVWR

Do you actually go by what is on the sticker inside of the MH, Or do you go by what the MH actually weighs? I ask this because The GVWR on the sticker inside says 14,400 lbs. The other day on an outing the wifw an I decieded to go bya pair of CAT scales and see what the MH actually weighs with our stuff in it. It is hard for me to believe that I have so much in the MH but it weighed 25,720 lbs. just 280 lbs ahort of the 26,000lbs. That was also with only 1/4 tank of fuel and it did have 1/2 tank of water in the fresh water tank.And I was the only person in the MH. When you put the other 2 people in my family in the MH we will be over 26,000 lbs. I wonder does DOT give an allowance for fuel, freshwater tank, grey and black water tank, and the weight of the people in the MH, when the and if the DOT stops me and weighs me?
Thanks
3 Big uns in a Motorhome
mikeyrph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyrph View Post
Does anyone know where I can get a list of the States that require the driver of a Class A motorhome to take the CDL test and get a D lisence. I have heard that not all states require you to have a have a D lisence to drive a motorhome. But if you are traveling, and you go into a state that requires the D lisence, and the state that you live in and where the motorhome is lisenced in does not require it,If you get stopped etc... and you do not have a D lisence is it a fine for not having a D lisence even though you home state does not. I live in Mississippi and I am not sure if I am required to take the CDL test or not. I cant find out anywhere. So I know that there has to be a list somewhere on the internet that tells which states require the test and which states do not
Thanks
Campingworld sells a book 2010 I think it's called exit. It gives all the info on gas stations and rest stops. In the back of the book is a list of States and RV laws and requirements for the different states.
Regards,
cncjim.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:02 AM   #11

The Next Exit. Don't make the mistake of buying Final Exit.

The GVWR includes fuel, people, water, everything.
69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:31 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Do you actually go by what is on the sticker inside of the MH, Or do you go by what the MH actually weighs? I ask this because The GVWR on the sticker inside says 14,400 lbs.
There is no way that a 38' MH has a GVWR of only 14,400 Lbs! It probably says 14,400 KGS which is 31,680 Lbs..........
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:41 AM   #13

GVWR

Quote:
Do you actually go by what is on the sticker inside of the MH, Or do you go by what the MH actually weighs? I ask this because The GVWR on the sticker inside says 14,400 lbs. The other day on an outing the wifw an I decieded to go bya pair of CAT scales and see what the MH actually weighs with our stuff in it. It is hard for me to believe that I have so much in the MH but it weighed 25,720 lbs. just 280 lbs short of the 26,000lbs.
Mike,

I hope you are looking at the rear axle rating with dual wheels. Otherwise, you don't need to worry about licensing, you need to worry about being 6 tons over weight! The GVWR is the MAXIMUM the vehicle weigh with whatever is being carried by the wheels.

Gil
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:59 AM   #14

Mike, you have to be reading something wrong on that GVWR sticker. My 36' fiver has a GVWR of 20k!

Anyway, the licensing issue is determined by the rated weight, not the actual weight. If for some reason you were to be weighed by a DOT (chances are remote, has never happened to us), they will be looking at actual weight vs rated weight. They are usually more concerned with overloaded vehicles, although they may be checking for proper licensing as well.

The bottom line is you want your actual weight comfortably below the rated GVWR for safety; you want the proper license for your GVWR for peace of mind and to be legal.