Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2016, 08:11 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Static (ground) straps

Just curious can anyone offer an explanation as to why you don’t see a motorhome with a chassis static (ground) strap? Wouldn’t this help in a “Hot Skin” situation and dissipate unwanted static buildup on the electronic systems?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2016, 09:16 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
You don't see grounding straps on any vehicles in the modern age. I remember them in the '50's, but not since then. In an RV, a 'hot skin' is usually caused by a bad 120v connection, not static build up. A ground strap in that instance would only hide the problem, perhaps cause a fire or shock hazard. I'd rather fix the problem, not put a conductive band-aid on the RV.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:07 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang37 View Post
Just curious can anyone offer an explanation as to why you don’t see a motorhome with a chassis static (ground) strap? Wouldn’t this help in a “Hot Skin” situation and dissipate unwanted static buildup on the electronic systems?
There are at least two reasons they don't add them, Well 3 actually.

First: no vehicle was ever factory delivered that I know of with Ground Straps. There are reasons for this but they were all added "After market" by the deluded owners

Second. they don't work, Oh, when parked there is a chance they MIGHT discharge a static charge, but in motion they are more olikely to generate Radio Frequency interference than ground your chassis. And the static charge they take to ground.. in 50 years of driving I've never gotten shocked by a car or truck,, I have once by a trailer but that was a different issue (Polaiity on power plug) I fixed it (hey, I knew I went to college and took those courses for some reason )

Third, Every RV I've ever owned HAD a ground system in place when set up.. Yup it's the ROUND pin on your power plug That is SUPPOSED to be a ground.

The HOT SKIN condition you cite..... Failure of that line either at the RV end, in the cord, in the plug or at the park's end (Park is most likely culprit) But that's your Chassis ground right there. USE I, use a good grade of Surge Protecor (IE: Progressive Dynamics HW-50C or HW-30C (number refleects RV's power system) and if it says "OPEN GROUND" park elsewhere, or add-a-ground (I have that feature myself)

Finally... In my line of hobby we deal often with something called a Ground Loop.. here is how it works.

I have the main AC/Chassis ground (ye old round pin) and all the cords and such.. I have my "Add-a-ground" (A 3' rod with 10ga wire) I can stick in the ground.. Well this forms a loop, Literally an irregular circle of wire/earth where current can flow around and around... So when I fire up ye old radio, if I hit the magic frequency, (Resonance) bad things happen. Very bad things from my POV (I use the add-a-ground when boondocking) Some examples of bad wire lengths would be 62.5', 31.2' a bit over 15 and a bit over 10, and odd multiples of all the above. NOTE: partial list.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:41 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You will find info on hot skin and grounding in this link, never had ground straps on any of my coach's.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang37 View Post
stang37
I have one on my Safari coach, (it was a 50 cent garage sale find).

While it might be dissipating unwanted static buildup??... (it is most certainly not a cure for a “Hot Skin" condition).
https://www.amazon.com/Gates-90330-S.../dp/B000CRBR8U
Woodchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 03:00 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks of the replies. I found an old ground strap in some of my junk and was interested as to why you do not see them on Motorhomes or even most trucks nowadays.