Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2014, 01:07 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Bill View Post
Ron - having had coaches for 34 years and a 1999 Newmar DS, here are a few things to check & do- 1) Insure your tire pressure is correct for your actual wheel weight via weighing each wheel & adding 10% for safety factor. 2) Check your tie rod couplings- Spartan had issue with the boot covers on 1999 through 2005 chassis. The boot covers would get brittle ,crack & allow water into the ball joint & cause them to rust & become sloppy thereby causing 'steering drift'. 3) Change your shocks from Beilsten to Koni- there's are ajustable - I used the middle setting & it really helped as well as smoothed out the ride. 4) Being new to the coach driving scene - when steering - look down the road 35-50 yards as your aim point- this will prevent you from over-steering as one has a tendency to do with the larger steering wheel & gear box ratio on coaches compared to cars.
Hope this helps and Happy Trails

Capt. Bill The previous owners said there was an issue with the ball joints, and had them changed. When I took it in to be serviced and asked the mechanic to check the ball joints, they said they were fine. But I appreciate your advice of looking further down the road. I think I am currently looking as I did in my car and truck Thanks alot
Ron & Kerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2014, 03:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron & Kerrie View Post
Honestly Skip not sure why the different sizes. That is the size that was on it when I bought it. ( last fall) The date on the tires were 2004. So I thought it must be set up for that size, so I decided to stick with it.
That's the size it came out of the factory with.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:02 AM   #17

I thought this tire size sounded familiar.
Digging through a ton of paper that both previous owners had kept in my coach I found the answer.
Originally Newmar had spec'd the chassis ( I had thought they had only done it with Freightliner, but it seems the problem was with Spartan chassis too ) with the 255/80R22.5 Michelin XRV tires.
The tires proved under rated for the front axle load , and in Jan. 2004 Newmar recalled the coaches and replaced only the front tires with the 275/70R22.5s.
Recall notice I found says 1997 to 2000 Dutch Star and 2001 & 2002 Kountry Stars with 255/80R22.5s
Seems the owner at the time , replaced all the tires on my coach with the 275/70R22.5s current rears are dated 2004, tire store estimate attached to the recall paper work. Next owner replaced the fronts again in 2008.
Because the two tire sizes are so close in height , there is no problem using
them together on the coach.
HOWEVER. the 255s cant be used on the front axle , and when checking the inflation charts be sure you use the chart for the tire size your checking.
In the recall letter Newmar rec-commends 105 PSI in the rear.

The 255/80Rs have given me the traction tread pattern option I was looking for. But I don't think I can get them for the $ 954.00 for 4 that the original owner paid.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:27 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ron, just been posting this thread in a few place's this morning it may not be your problem because as people have been saying and I agree your coach weights and tire pressures will effect your driving also.
The link problem, ball joints, was happening in early 2000's so it may not be a problem for you but just wanted you to be aware of the possibility.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:58 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks 007 when I took in for service they said the alignment was off, but that the ball joints were ok. I had them do the alignment. I did adjust the air in the tires I just have not had time to take it out and try it yet to see if it makes a difference. They tires that were on it. Did show some wear on the edge, that is why I took it in to be aligned. When I had the new tires put on about a month ago they put 110 lbs in the front and 115 in the rear. They are now at 100 front and 95 rear. Thanks for all the help
Old 08-16-2014, 07:31 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Best place to buy Koni shocks?
Old 08-16-2014, 10:34 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron & Kerrie View Post
Best place to buy Koni shocks?

I bought from Shox.com last fall. Good service, competitive pricing.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:40 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Have our motorhome at a Spartan shop. Had them check the steering, they told me there was quite a bit of play in the steering wheel. They also said the rear was 1" to high and the front 3" to high so they are doing all the adjusting. Will those things make a lot of difference in the steering? I won't know til I get it back next week
Old 09-03-2014, 05:50 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
STEERING UPDATE : Just got our motorhome back from Spartan shop. They said there was 2" free play, they adjusted the steering box. And the front height was 3" to high and the rear 1 " to high. It steered sooooooooo much better on the way home. They also said the brakes were dragging and they adjusted the brakes also. Also check out our update under cracked manifold.

Tags
dutch star, steering