RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2014, 03:04 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Steering 1999 Dutch Star

Just took our (new to us) 1999 dutch star DP out for a ride before we leave soon on a trip. It seems like I get around 60-65 mph and it is a little hard to control. I have to admit i'm pretty green at driving a 38' motor home so just maybe it will take me a few miles to get use to it ? Any help or suggestions. Thanks a lot you guys

Ron & Kerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2014, 03:30 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our 27' C class seems waddley if we forget to air up our rear suspension AIRBAGS. Firestone says they must be kept between 10-100 PSI. We really like how our rig handles at 37PSI. 50 was tried but too stiff and a harsh ride. Below 30 it sways so much the steering is tricky because you are then driving a 7 ton snake!
Do you have air bags??

Skino47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:33 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Yes we do have air bags
Old 06-21-2014, 07:41 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Tire pressures are critical. Air to just below pressure as listed for max load on the sidewall. Get it weighed and adjust pressure as needed. There are a ton of sites for recommended pressures, just google it.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron & Kerrie View Post
Just took our (new to us) 1999 dutch star DP out for a ride before we leave soon on a trip. It seems like I get around 60-65 mph and it is a little hard to control. I have to admit i'm pretty green at driving a 38' motor home so just maybe it will take me a few miles to get use to it ? Any help or suggestions. Thanks a lot you guys
Dutch Stars were available on both Freightliner and Spartan chassis. Both with air suspension.
Knowing your corner weights and getting tire pressures set correctly is a big step in driving comfort. That being said 65 mph is the top chassis rated speed on my F/L chassis , I get the best fuel economy cruising just under 60 , and get that hard to control feeling at 70, so I keep to 60.

Tire age , condition, pressure and balance, all important to stability and control , have you checked the tire date codes?
Old 06-21-2014, 08:05 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Skip the tires are brand new Michelins the tire pressure currently is 110 in all tires. right now there is no load except a full tank of fuel. We have a Spartan chassis
Old 06-21-2014, 08:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron & Kerrie View Post
Skip the tires are brand new Michelins the tire pressure currently is 110 in all tires. right now there is no load except a full tank of fuel. We have a Spartan chassis

Without your corner weights , then adjust pressure to your max axle weights, from the Michelin web site. For you tire size.
JMHO: I think your overinflated.
I'll see if I have the inflation info in a pdf file.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:16 PM   #8

Found it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf michelin tires for RVs.pdf (1.58 MB, 39 views)
Old 06-21-2014, 08:17 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Without your corner weights , then adjust pressure to your max axle weights, from the Michelin web site. For you tire size.
JMHO: I think your overinflated.
I'll see if I have the inflation info in a pdf file.

Thanks for checking for me Skip
Old 06-21-2014, 09:52 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I have no complaints about handling with our 2000 DSDP. I have Michelins and run 90-95 in the rears and 100 in the front (steer tires), per Michelin inflation data. My Michleins are XZA3's, load rating H.

One thing I would like to do and haven't figured out how to do it yet, because of the Michelin tire inflation ratings, is to set the pressures for a little "under-steer". That would tend to cause a little lag in the steering due to a slightly lower pressure in the front than the rear. I do this with my passenger cars; drop the front pressure about 2lbs lower than the rear pressure. That makes the steering "not so quick" and implements the under-steer so one doesn't "over-steer", and making easier to control the vehicle.

The problem with a motorhome is the rear duals seem to be always to be required to be at a lower pressure than the front steer tires, that would normally cause "over-steer". Even though I am generally satisfied with the ride and handling of the coach, I feel that a little more under-steer would make the handling more comfortable.

If I could find someone that really understands "over-steer" and "under-steer" and why the front tires of a coach should be higher than the rear duals, I would like to experiment with the front pressures.

Since you run the same pressure all around you might try dropping the front pressure two pounds lower than the rear and see what effect that has.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:05 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I just checked the tire pressure my self the front tires (275/70r/22.5) have 110 pounds I put them at 100 the rear tires 255/80r/22.5) were at 115 lbs I put them at 95. I will take for a ride to see if it makes a difference. Better or worse !!! til I can get it weighed. Thanks for your help
Old 06-22-2014, 09:34 AM   #12

Ron - having had coaches for 34 years and a 1999 Newmar DS, here are a few things to check & do- 1) Insure your tire pressure is correct for your actual wheel weight via weighing each wheel & adding 10% for safety factor. 2) Check your tie rod couplings- Spartan had issue with the boot covers on 1999 through 2005 chassis. The boot covers would get brittle ,crack & allow water into the ball joint & cause them to rust & become sloppy thereby causing 'steering drift'. 3) Change your shocks from Beilsten to Koni- there's are ajustable - I used the middle setting & it really helped as well as smoothed out the ride. 4) Being new to the coach driving scene - when steering - look down the road 35-50 yards as your aim point- this will prevent you from over-steering as one has a tendency to do with the larger steering wheel & gear box ratio on coaches compared to cars.
Hope this helps and Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:34 AM   #13

Ron ; a question if I may.
Any particular reason for the different tire size on the rear?
I have been looking for a traction tread as a replacement on the rear of my coach , but the 275/70R 22.5 isn't available in a traction pattern.
Somehow on every trip south/north , I find snow , no matter when I leave.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:04 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Ron ; a question if I may.
Any particular reason for the different tire size on the rear?
I have been looking for a traction tread as a replacement on the rear of my coach , but the 275/70R 22.5 isn't available in a traction pattern.
Somehow on every trip south/north , I find snow , no matter when I leave.

Honestly Skip not sure why the different sizes. That is the size that was on it when I bought it. ( last fall) The date on the tires were 2004. So I thought it must be set up for that size, so I decided to stick with it.

Tags
dutch star, steering