Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2016, 11:12 AM   #1

Steering Wheel not straight

Anyone had any issues with there steering wheel on there Ventana mine is off center? My new 2016 came in setting at the 2:00 and 8:00 position. Dealer said it was a Freightliner issue so I took it to Freightliner and they said it was fixed to within 5%. Left the Freightliner dealer and the steering was the same as when I took it in. Seems it should be at 3:00 and 9:00 going down the road.
AndySally is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2016, 11:17 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Same issue with my canyon star
tdelisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:18 AM   #3

An alignment should correct this. Freightliner's response is not really an acceptable answer. I wonder sometimes if FL can adjust to dealing with a perhaps more fussy client than that of the commercial trucking trade.

Peter
Old 06-27-2016, 11:36 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
An alignment should correct this. Freightliner's response is not really an acceptable answer. I wonder sometimes if FL can adjust to dealing with a perhaps more fussy client than that of the commercial trucking trade.

Peter
The alignment can be perfectly correct and the wheel can still be off to one side or the other. Most of the time it is easier to reset the wheel than so redo the alignment, which by the way may not fix the wheel and it will then need to be re positioned anyway.

When an alignment is started there is a tool that is placed on the drivers seat to keep the wheel as close to correct as possible. Then once the alignment adjustments are done and the toe in or toe out is set the tool is removed. But even after all of that the unit can go down the road with a bit of cock to the steering wheel. This could be due to toe in or out, tire wear, or in the case of four wheel independent suspension, ( I know not our coaches) the rear alignment or tires can cause the problem as well. So there is no simple answer.

So if the alignment is correct just remove the wheel and center it.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:44 AM   #5

Steering wheel

Freightliner used a program to set the wheel due to the comfort drive system, however that was the 5% allowance, my front end alinement seems fine no pulling, its totally in the comfort drive system in my opinion. I hate buying a New ford and have to take it to Chevy to get it fixed.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:46 AM   #6

Either way, it could probably use an alignment, all axles. I've had two alignments (3 axle). One on my Essex prior to the one I have now, and this one. Both done at Spartan service in Michigan. Both time the steering wheel was spot on.

Peter
Old 06-27-2016, 12:23 PM   #7

It could be that toe is out, or it just could be that the steering wheel was not properly aligned when toe was set. Either way an alignment will fix it. My canyon star was out and Newmar paid for the alignment to set it straight Call CS. If your coach is less than 90 days old, Newmar will pay a shop of your choice to align it
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:37 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Had that problem took it to a dealer had it back to me the next day. They said no problem it is not in the alignment
snickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:53 PM   #9

What did you do to straighten it out, I dislike a crooked steering wheel.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers View Post
Had that problem took it to a dealer had it back to me the next day. They said no problem it is not in the alignment
Hmmmm.....'14 MA...........Freightliner? If so, why is alignment an issue with Freightliner. It is definitely not, nor ever been, an issue for Spartan. They need to get off their toadstool and fix it!
Old 06-27-2016, 02:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Hmmmm.....'14 MA...........Freightliner? If so, why is alignment an issue with Freightliner. It is definitely not, nor ever been, an issue for Spartan. They need to get off their toadstool and fix it!

You need to read the threads over on the Entegra forum. Post after post about alignment problems and steering problems that aren't being solved either by Spartan, Entegra or independent alignment shops.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySally View Post
Anyone had any issues with there steering wheel on there Ventana mine is off center? My new 2016 came in setting at the 2:00 and 8:00 position. Dealer said it was a Freightliner issue so I took it to Freightliner and they said it was fixed to within 5%. Left the Freightliner dealer and the steering was the same as when I took it in. Seems it should be at 3:00 and 9:00 going down the road.
AndySally
Take your Ventana to an alignment shop and ask them to center/true your steering wheel... any alignment shop worth their salt can true a steering wheel.

BTW any GOOD alignment shop will consider centering the steering wheel as part of an wheel alignment and properly center it...(Freightliner shops not so much).

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 04:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Chianese View Post
The alignment can be perfectly correct and the wheel can still be off to one side or the other. Most of the time it is easier to reset the wheel than so redo the alignment, which by the way may not fix the wheel and it will then need to be re positioned anyway.

When an alignment is started there is a tool that is placed on the drivers seat to keep the wheel as close to correct as possible. Then once the alignment adjustments are done and the toe in or toe out is set the tool is removed. But even after all of that the unit can go down the road with a bit of cock to the steering wheel. This could be due to toe in or out, tire wear, or in the case of four wheel independent suspension, ( I know not our coaches) the rear alignment or tires can cause the problem as well. So there is no simple answer.

So if the alignment is correct just remove the wheel and center it.

Removing the steering wheel and putting it back on IS NOT a correct procedure for centering the wheel.
Built into the steering box is what is referred to as a "high point". How this is determined to be correct is as follows:
The steering linkage must be disconnected from the gearbox pitman arm.
You will turn the wheel all the way to the left or right until it stops.
Turn the wheel in the opposite direction counting the turns and parts of until the wheel stops again.
Now divide the number of turns by 1/2 and turn the wheel that amount back from the last direction you turned it.
For EX: If you turned a total of four turns from one lock to the other you would turn the wheel back two turns. At this point of turns the wheel should be centered and straight. If not the wheel was put on incorrectly to begin with. Then and only then should the wheel be pulled and moved on the steering shaft splines.
The shaft should be marked at time of original assembly and not have to be turned. I am not above saying the factories do make mistakes.
If you have a wheel which is straight after doing the turning exersise this means the gears in the gearbox are centered properly and relaxed on what is called the "high point". This setting is important for proper handling and being assured the gearbox will turn the same amount of degrees to the right and the left.
If the high point is verified to be correct and the wheel is not straight going on a test drive the corrections should be made with the steering linkage. One wheel must be adjusted in while the other is adjusted out until the front wheels are parallel with the rear wheels.
Many alignment shops avoid doing this because it is a time consumer but a good shop will go the distance to assure they are doing a correct and complete job.
Explain the operation to your alignment shop. If they fail to understand what you are saying don't leave your vehicle there for service. Find someone who does.
A "quick fix is not a good fix"
Lynn
Old 06-27-2016, 07:01 PM   #14

Quote:

Peter

I have the same issue and an alignment won't help. I was at FL in Gaffney and they did the alignment and moved the steering wheel left and right one spline and it was still off a bit just a different way. It's annoying. sometimes on a perfectly flat road with no crown it is straight as an arrow but the comfort steer is influenced a lot by the crown and angle of the road in terms of how it rides, so I find myself steering a bit right and lefty while going straight.
snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering