Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2014, 10:29 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Step Cover Malfunction

So far my trip has been eventful. I like to think that I'm running out of things to break. My latest 'break' is the step cover. I usually close it before going to bed. When I push the button I hear the motor but step doesn't raise. I have searched the forums and most I've seen is the motor failing. Since i hear the motor I assume it hasn't failed.

Any assistance in this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mitch

2005 Newmar Dutchstar 4010
Mitchone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2014, 06:54 AM   #2

I had a similar situation and yes the motor will run but the gear mechanism has sprung apart and the gears are not engaging. The original unit was rated at 100 ft/lbs and I replaced it with the same make but 150 ft lbs of lift. Supposedly it was slower but we did not notice any difference. I had to pry my step up in order to release the pin off of the shaft of the motor. Once that is released you can lift the step up manually and remove the motor apparatus. I ran my old unit for awhile by using a hose clamp to draw the gears on the jack back together. Eventually I had to replace the actuator unit. Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarsha2 View Post
I had a similar situation and yes the motor will run but the gear mechanism has sprung apart and the gears are not engaging. The original unit was rated at 100 ft/lbs and I replaced it with the same make but 150 ft lbs of lift. Supposedly it was slower but we did not notice any difference. I had to pry my step up in order to release the pin off of the shaft of the motor. Once that is released you can lift the step up manually and remove the motor apparatus. I ran my old unit for awhile by using a hose clamp to draw the gears on the jack back together. Eventually I had to replace the actuator unit. Hope this helps and good luck.
How did you pry and how much force?? I have the same problem and I have tried prying a little but it did not feel like nothing was going to move...
Old 09-25-2014, 11:02 AM   #4

It took a fair amount of force I'n my case to wedge the treadle open enough to slip a 3/8 in wrench in the opening and remove the clevis rod and disengage the failed linear actuator. Not a terrific design and not the highest quality components. Mine failed twice in 3 years.

A cheaper & better replacement is :

Heavy Duty 6" Linear Actuator Stroke 200 Pound Max Lift 12 Volt DC: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:58 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is information from QT's # 3 in step information section.
You will find other info in same section on steps in QT's # 3 and also in QT's 1 & 2.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 04:47 AM   #6

Thanks again 007, already have the motor out. A steel plate is screwed to the middle step's plywood with 6 rather small screws. The screws popped out when I pulled... I will drill more holes and use larger screws. Shopping for motor now.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:30 PM   #7

Not sure if my previous post was sent. I would suggest not raising the cover at night. If in case of a fire, you would hate to have the cover malfunction. My cover motor has been replaced, so we leave it down, especially at night.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:45 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hate to say, I never considered my only door exit being used for an emergency. The only reason I raised the step is that we, the DW, has cats. The noise they make at night digging in their cat litter is annoying to say the least. For now, the fact that the step won't raise will have to be an unexpected feature. Other things such as fun and fixing the faucet in the kitchen sink has to take precedence. My vacation ends Wednesday. I'll start crawling under things then.

Thanks so much for the input. I'll update things later.
Mitchone is offline   Reply With Quote