RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2021, 01:07 AM   #1

Step light inside coach

So I bought this 1999 dutch star a few months back. Used, obviously. Anyways, I've been scrambling around trying to get the important stuff taken care of, maintenance wise. Something that has been bothering me about it is when I go into the coach when it's dark out, I have troubles finding a light switch. Ive been thinking that it would have been nice if newmar would have put some kind of courtesy light for the entryway when the door opens or something. I finally got around to getting these motion lights that would be the perfect fit.

I rigged one up, tested it in the dark. Perfect. Now all I had to do was to find the perfect place to mount it. Probably right next to the stairs so I'm not tripping in the dark. Literally, got on my knees to position the light for the perfect mount. ... Something is in the way... Oh... Look... It's a light!! Wtf? I have many things to learn about this thing, firstly I should be more observant.

I followed the wires, but at the moment the ground is caked in snow. I figured tracing the wires could wait till spring. Or, I could ask to see if there's a switch someplace that I'm missing. I haven't found any blown fuses. Does anybody knows where the controls are to this light? It's literally in the perfect spot near the steps to prevent one from tripping over their feet for months on end
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2021, 01:18 AM   #2

Hard to answer for someone else's coach, but mine has step lights inside that are wired to a switch panel right near the door that is labeled rather cryptically... "step lights". You might have something similar. There are switch panels on both sides of the door, on the front dash are 3 - interior lights, patio light, and the step controller. On the rear side is a battery disconnect (disabled), compartment lights, map light (not functional), and the step light switch.

If you are looking for an OUTSIDE step light - your motorized step should have one that lights up when you open the door, whether or not the step needed to deploy. If that doesn't work, check the bulb, it is probably blown. An LED replacement will last forever and give much more light.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:31 AM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If you don't find a switch on a panel, many step lights were operated by contacts in the door frame. Open/close the door to activate lights. Look for some buttons on the door frame that are actuated when the door moves.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 01:02 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Here is a $3 solution that may get you through the near term.

https://www.harborfreight.com/200-lu...ght-64723.html

1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
Gillig Bus Chassis
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 01:43 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
I tee'd into the wire under the steps that turns on the light by the control. That may be what your light is hooked to also. Nice to have the light come on as soon as the door is opened.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Step light.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	454.7 KB
ID:	315597  
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 03:03 PM   #6

Thanks. I'm actually in the middle of painting the fabric ceiling at the moment. My light looks just like Unplanned Tourists, except mine never turns on. I checked for voltages and wasn't getting voltage, but it makes sense to open the door and check it. I had previously torn up apart when the door was closed. I'll let you guys know what I find. Thanks

Ahh I'm going to post some pics of how the ceiling turns out later in another post. There was some previous water damage, marks, that left stains. I googled for weeks to find a solution in dealing with the water stains and didn't find anything really suitable for dealing with it. So I'm painting the fabric ceiling panels that newmar uses. It's turning out pretty good.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:48 PM   #7

I'm also dealing with snow on the ground , but will try and get to the coach tomorrow to check out the orange Kwikee step light and the Newmar step well light operation in relation to the switches by the passenger seat .

I know that they both work ; but can't remember what switch position

Unless there was a running assembly line change , after my , March 1999 coach was built , there isn't a door activation for the lights.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:56 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I didnít care for the orange light so I bought a bright white led light and tossed the orange one.
jt
harleyjt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
I didnít care for the orange light so I bought a bright white led light and tossed the orange one.
jt
The idea with an orange or yellow light is that bugs aren't supposed to be attracted to it - and thus won't (hopefully) join you inside your coach.

I like the idea of tying into that trigger though for the step lights inside, then ALL the step lights follow the door usage. Going to think about doing that one.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:29 AM   #10

On our coach the step well light is turned on and off with the porch light switch.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:23 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordi View Post
The idea with an orange or yellow light is that bugs aren't supposed to be attracted to it - and thus won't (hopefully) join you inside your coach.

I like the idea of tying into that trigger though for the step lights inside, then ALL the step lights follow the door usage. Going to think about doing that one.
I liked that idea too until I thought about it some. I usually turn the steps off when we are parked and let them stay out. Doing this overrides the light as well. So opening the door doesn't turn the light on in that case. What I did was add a second light under the steps that turns on with the inside step light, the porch light and the lighted assist handle.
jt
Old 01-25-2021, 01:52 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Quote:
I liked that idea too until I thought about it some. I usually turn the steps off when we are parked and let them stay out. Doing this overrides the light as well. So opening the door doesn't turn the light on in that case. What I did was add a second light under the steps that turns on with the inside step light, the porch light and the lighted assist handle.
jt
My light in the stair well comes on whenever the door is opened, steps in or out. It's on the side opposite the light switches, so they are easy to find when we come in at night if we have been away.

I wired the light to the same wires that go to the little round orange light underneath, so it times out after around 2 minutes if the door is left open.

We also have the stock light that comes on with the porch and handle lights, but we never leave them on after we go to bed.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:01 PM   #13

Quote:
jt
My kwikee step light comes on whenever I open the door, the power to the steps is always available but the switch tells it to keep the step out. I never bother flipping the switch b/c when I turn the ignition on, it retracts the step automatically. Maybe yours does the same? Obviously I only notice the light at night, but since I never flip that switch.... It must be doing it all the time.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:55 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Step light inside coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordi View Post
My kwikee step light comes on whenever I open the door, the power to the steps is always available but the switch tells it to keep the step out. I never bother flipping the switch b/c when I turn the ignition on, it retracts the step automatically. Maybe yours does the same? Obviously I only notice the light at night, but since I never flip that switch.... It must be doing it all the time.

Similar operation in that I leave the steps out because they retract when the ignition is switched on. But when I turn my step switch off, it also turns the light off. Itís like itís killing power to the entire step module. Light never comes on when the steps are off.
jt

Tags
light