Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2022, 08:07 AM   #1

Steps and Bay door locks-- strange behavior

This started a couple days ago. When I step on the entrance steps, the bay doors lock. Happens every time. I looked underneath and unhooked the 2 connectors to the steps and it had no impact. I noticed there were a couple ground wires screwed into the steps. I'll pull them off and clean them up, but how can the steps interact with the bay door locks.... strange ?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2022, 08:29 AM   #2

Pull the lower part of the grab handle and unplug the handle and step on the step to see if it’s still triggering the locks. It would have to be some type of ground issue or something with the TriMark system. Have you cycled the battery disconnect?
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 08:55 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I had an ‘06 Essex for 5 years that had a kind of similar problem. What it would do is occasionally, like 2 or 3 times a week, it should spontaneously lock all the doors and retract the steps. When it would do this it would be parked, the ignition off and the key now where near it and all of a sudden the dashboard switches’ back-lights would come on and the door would lock and the steps would retract. It was exactly as if the ignition had been turned on except the instrument cluster and it’s lights would NOT turn on.
I could NOT reproduce it even by inserting the key and jiggling it around NOR by shaking the ignition switch wiring around. It seemed to happen more often during rainy weather but not exclusively. I had to replace the outside pull handle that had the keyless entry buttons after about a year and the new handle did not have any buttons so the keypad for the keyless entry system was just disconnected. The problem existed before and after that so I ruled out the touchpad.
I posted to the Newmar IRV2 forum at the time and at least 1 other owner had the exact same problem. The best guess was something was simulating the safety interlocks being triggered as if the ignition was turned on with the door closed and steps out
I traded the coach in October 2020 and that problem remains a mystery still.
Archer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 11:16 AM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Here's my thinking......when you start the coach and close the front door and put the coach in drive, the steps retract and the bay doors lock. So electronically, they're all interconnected.

I would pull the brass door pins, make sure everything is securely connected and clean.

If that doesn't help.....second crazy thought.....as you step on the steps, are you grabbing/pulling on the keyless door handle. Could it be loose and shorting out.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 01:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Here's my thinking......when you start the coach and close the front door and put the coach in drive, the steps retract and the bay doors lock. So electronically, they're all interconnected.

I would pull the brass door pins, make sure everything is securely connected and clean.

If that doesn't help.....second crazy thought.....as you step on the steps, are you grabbing/pulling on the keyless door handle. Could it be loose and shorting out.
I'll try to dig into it in a few days.... today is tourist day and tomorrow a travel day.

When I get on the steps, I'm not touching the grab bar. Just something about putting my weight on the step that triggers the doors to lock..... it does not lock the entrance door, just the bay doors. The key fob works fine with the the door and bays as does teh keypad by the grab handle.
These things are fun to figure out
Old 08-14-2022, 01:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Dowdle View Post
Pull the lower part of the grab handle and unplug the handle and step on the step to see if it’s still triggering the locks. It would have to be some type of ground issue or something with the TriMark system. Have you cycled the battery disconnect?
I'll give that a shot.... have not cycled the battery disconnect in a few months as we are in it traveling for the summer. I am also leaning toward a ground issue. Where is the trimark controller located ??
Old 08-14-2022, 02:39 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Putting pressure on your steps must be putting pressure on a wire from the door locks and grounding it simulating a lock command. Does it happen with the entry door closed and stepping on the steps as well as when the door is open and you're entering or exiting the coach?
Dutchstar411 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 06:27 PM   #8

Baggage Door locks

My issue with the Baggage door locks was they would only unlock. I traced this down to a relay inside behind the Trimark door handle. I removed the interior panel and one of the relays was rusted (Probably from the window being left open?) one relay opens the baggage locks one locks them. I replaced both relays, lock and unlock works perfect Hope this helps!

Thanks Dave
HMCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 05:19 PM   #9

We just got back from our 3+ month trip and I've started working on the many things that need attention after the trip. First will be replacing the slide out motor that self-destructed the gears on the last day of our trip... but that another story.

Back to the bay locks and step issue. After the above posts and during the rest of the trip, the problem would come and go. Some times the bays would lock when stepping on the step, other times not. The sometimes the key fob would not work for the bays, other times it would. Now, the bay locks don't function electronically at all ( but the door does) The fob does nothing, the handle key pad does nothing and the rocker switch inside does nothing. All along, the front door continued to lock/inlock properly. Very strange. I'll look at it again after I put the slideout motor in.... it just arrived. Any idea where the trimark receiver/controller is located ?
Old 09-21-2022, 05:25 PM   #10

It’s going to be inside the dash. Either behind the radio or the instrument cluster
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 07:26 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
We just got back from our 3+ month trip and I've started working on the many things that need attention after the trip. First will be replacing the slide out motor that self-destructed the gears on the last day of our trip... but that another story.

Back to the bay locks and step issue. After the above posts and during the rest of the trip, the problem would come and go. Some times the bays would lock when stepping on the step, other times not. The sometimes the key fob would not work for the bays, other times it would. Now, the bay locks don't function electronically at all ( but the door does) The fob does nothing, the handle key pad does nothing and the rocker switch inside does nothing. All along, the front door continued to lock/inlock properly. Very strange. I'll look at it again after I put the slideout motor in.... it just arrived. Any idea where the trimark receiver/controller is located ?
Once you do the slide motor, reset the limits on the controller. I reset mine so the slide was closed, but not pushed any further after it seated in both directions.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 06:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Once you do the slide motor, reset the limits on the controller. I reset mine so the slide was closed, but not pushed any further after it seated in both directions.
Good point-- thanks !
Old 01-06-2023, 06:48 AM   #13

Time for an update on the bay locks..... trimark suggested unplugging the handle keypad at the controller and see what happens. I did that and now the bay doors lock and unlock with the Fob as they should === Great ! but now, I don't have the keypad/handle use.
They thought that somewhere the wires leading from the handle to to the controller may have shorted to ground. I'll try to see it I can find the culprit.

Tags
door, steps