Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2020, 05:49 PM   #1

Steps not coming out

While in storage with no shore power, my steps stopped coming out. I thought the house batteries might be dead, but didn't have my voltmeter to check. Brought the rig home a couple of days ago, plugged it in and the steps started working. All is well, I thought. But today, they suddenly stopped working again. I can hear a switch under the hood (where the BIRD/solenoid is) trying to open the steps, clicking once every 30 seconds or so while the door is open and silent when the door is closed, but I can't isolate precisely where it is. Any thoughts on where to start checking?
RetiredBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2020, 10:18 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
On most coaches, the steps run on the engine battery. That's why they work when the coach master power switch is turned off. If you suspect possible low voltage on that battery, you might first try leaving the door open and pushing the battery emergency jump switch. If the steps then work, you know you have a low engine battery. The second thing I would check in the connector on the steps. I may just need a good dose of contact cleaner.

Good luck...
Old 06-18-2020, 06:19 AM   #3

Step module also could be the problem as they are funny and if never replaced in a 2011 ...Pretty quick easy job...Can u work the steps with your on off switch inside ok open and close door?
Old 06-29-2020, 03:06 PM   #4

Turns out it was the motor. Replaced it and the steps now work, but.....the steps now extend when the door is opened and retract when I turn on the engine with the door closed. However, they do not retract when the engine is off and the door is shut, no matter which way the Steps In/Out switch is pushed. Any ideas?
RetiredBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 03:48 PM   #5

The original clicking sound without the steps extending or retracting was probably the step control module sending a signal to the motor to engage but the motor was bad and unable. If the motor is now responding the only items that controls the process is the step control module or the door position indicator located at the bottom left door frame.

The door position indicator has a part that plugs into the step control module and a part that attaches to the screen door. If one of those parts is missing or does not line-up with each other then your signal is not being transferred correctly. The door position indicator switch is fairly cheap and the door step control module is in line with the step motors cost.
2007 Newmar Baystar; 3201; SumoSprings Front; Timbren Springs Rear; Safe-T-Plus; 2016 Fiat 500; Roadmaster Falcon 2;Demco SBS DUO Braking System;TST 507; Bilstein shocks; Garmin RV 785; Supersteer Rear Trac Bar, Thule Easyfold XT2,RVWhisper
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steps