Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2022, 03:01 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Still waxing your motorhome? Scaffolding is worth its weight in gold!

I still wash, wax and buff out imperfections our motorhome. Don’t know why, but never considered scaffolding. Always thought it would be too heavy and time consuming. I’m getting too old for a ladder, so this year I went to harbor freight and found just what I needed… $216 with a coupon. This scaffold is a one person operation, reasonably stable and the perfect height for a motorhome. Now I can keep all my supplies right on the platform with me…. No up and down the ladder. The wheels make it easy to move down the length of the coach. So if you are still using a buffer on your motorhome with a ladderClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2874.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	499.2 KB
ID:	379745, you will find scaffolding worth its weight in gold! I am actually enjoying the project this time around. Cheers any ole Joe
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2022, 03:31 PM   #2

Looks good Joe, I've been thinking about getting something safer than a ladder but I'd want it light and easy to move around and a small storage size. Getting to the point where I need to start downsizing and I'm trying not to keep bringing more stuff home. My MH is only 25' and under 11' tall.
If I had an unlimited budget and storage I would just get a scissor lift! Or hire someone!
Old 10-28-2022, 03:51 PM   #3

Joe…do yourself a favor and buy the guard rails that go with this Scaffold system… I have been around scaffolding all my working career and I have seen many a tradesman simply step off because they are preoccupied with what they are doing. Just my 2 cents….
Ginton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 05:22 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I was telling my wife I was going to buy some scaffolding yesterday after spending most of the day on a ladder ..... she thought I was nuts. This looks perfect and now I'm waiting for Harbor Freight coupons.
Old 10-28-2022, 05:32 PM   #5

I'm going to second the guard rail, I have scaffold and won't stand on the top without a rail.
K Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 07:15 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the advice on the guard rails! I’ll start looking for some tomorrow.
Old 10-29-2022, 05:51 AM   #7

I have had these for years. Sold my Perry brand when I moved and wish I had not. These other brands are crap. I bought one and add additional clamps to make it more stable. I pay someone to wax the rv, I still use it for other things around the rv and comes in handy at home. But I agree with others, if you are using it at that height, I would get the guard rails, at least length wise so you have something to grab onto.
Old 10-29-2022, 06:44 AM   #8

For those that still use ladders... a couple of tips I found useful.
I sometimes do some polishing & "waxing" (used to be polymer but switched to ceramics) while traveling and taking a scaffold section not practical.
I have one of the collapsible step ladders that I store in a Sq tube under the MH frame
It's the kind with rungs on both sides
I built 2 plywood "platforms" that span the rungs on opposite sides and has wood strips on the bottom that match rung spacing to prevent any movement... one at the highest rungs ht for placing buffer, compounds, rags,etc. One a couple rungs below which a comfortable working ht.
The lower platform provides a rather comfortable place to stand vs the very narrow rungs and having the upper platform greatly reduces the # ups & downs.
Everything is easily removable for storage and the platforms take up next to nothing in storage space as they are flat.
I have never done the whole MH in an extended session... I'll do a section at a time, in the shade, and take a break...
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 10:32 AM   #9

You might want to think about taking some pool noodles or pipe insulation and attach it to the side you put up against your coach. That will prevent damage or scratches should the scaffolding ever make contact to your coach.
lrwinddancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 07:52 PM   #10

My problem with step ladders is sometimes I think I am at the bottom rung but I am still at the second rung and I step out into air. Not sure why, could be because for many years as an electrician I used all different sizes of step ladders from 4 foot to 12 foot.
Old 10-30-2022, 12:47 AM   #11

I also have a HF scaffold and use it as needed around the house and coach. I would recommend using outriggers which makes the scaffold much more stable, especially working while standing on the upper levels. I believe HF also sells the outriggers if I recall. I was lucky and found my scaffold on CL for $80 and was in perfect shape.
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 06:23 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the info on the outriggers. I am new to using scaffolding, but love it! I’ll check HF to see if they have accessories.

Tags
motor, motorhome, weight