Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2021, 02:59 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Storage Bay Slide out trays - Lower Profile

I am looking for alternate ideas for bay slideout trays that do not loose so much usable height. The ones Newmar installs are not really customized for the size of the bay, losing a lot of width and a few inches of height. For my packing, every inch matters.

I am looking for creative ideas, either custom fabricated or 3rd party that could be used to allow for better space utilization.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2021, 12:16 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Some years ago a fellow volunteer fabricated a slide-out floor for the bed of his pickup, comprising a bottom layer of 5/8 or 3/4 ply with perhaps 15 or 20 SS 3/4” ball transfer rollers mounted in it. Top layer was good quality plywood, solid w/ no voids, for smooth movement when weight bearing. Worked great .
Total thickness was about 1-3/4”. No mounting challenges (other than perhaps a little custom cutting) as the bottom ply sits directly on the floor.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 05:57 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Having just put in a custom slide for my basement mounted grill I can tell you that on the Ventana there is a 3/4" high lip from the carpeted bay floor to clear the rubber door seal on the flat segment. Of course it is about a 2" radius so as you get near the corners you need more clearance. Due to the latch mechanism on one side and the black lock shroud when the door is open you can't get all the way into the corners the full height.

For comparison the floor of the Journeyman slides provided by Newmar are 4" above the carpeted bay floor. Some of that height is the plywood floor of the tray, but mostly the mounting rails underneath.

RB, you should also get 2" more height out of the bays than in your '19DS. I think it was the '20 model year that the DS and VT dropped the floor to be more like the highline. Also I've seen it here but never in person that folks claim one chassis rail vs another gives more clearance - I know you are looking to trade off those 2 chassis builders so you may want to get real measurements for the frame rail height above the bay floor from both on a '21 to compare.

- Richard
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 05:58 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I saw these guys at the Tampa RV show a few years ago. They will basically make anything you want. Very sturdy. I bought one for a toolbox. I transferred it from my old RV to the new one. They are about 1/4th the profile size of the factory cargo trays. Get ready for weightlifting when you receive it and pick it up.

https://slide-master.com/rv-cargo-slides/
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide out, storage, slide