Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2018, 03:52 AM   #1

Storage Space in 34' Ventana

We are considering a 34' Ventana and have concerns about limited storage space, especially with the Oasis (we want all electric) taking up a portion of the only pass through compartment. Inside storage space in the 34' Ventana will meet our needs, but might have to move up to 37' if under coach storage on 34' is not adequate.

Does the 34' Ventana have sufficient storage capacity for extended travel?

How do you full timers manage the limited storage space?

Do you store many items in your toad? Do you store in a roof rack on the toad? Our toad will be a Subaru Forester, so some room available for storage.

Do you use bike racks and if yes do you attach them to the toad or coach? How do you address concerns with theft?

Though we won't be full timers, we will be on the road for 5-6 months at a stretch. Most travel will be just the two of us, but we'd like to bring along bikes, inflatable kayaks, golf clubs, small grill and other toys and playthings.

Looking for input from those living the dream at 34'.
samtheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2018, 08:29 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
We have a Ventana 3407 with the Oasis system and tow a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Although we're not yet full time (next year!), we have taken some extended trips of a couple of weeks or more. We may be somewhat minimalist in nature, but we find the storage more than adequate for our needs. However, we don't take kayaks, bikes and golf clubs as you mentioned. In my basement storage, I currently have a collapsible 12' ladder, two folding chairs, a folding table, a couple of bins containing miscellaneous items, a Weber grill and Blackstone griddle. I carry my tool bag and other items in the back of the Jeep. Utilizing the closet, the under bed storage and 6 dresser drawers, we're able to take more clothes than we'll ever wear. It seems to me you could add bike racks to your Subaru and carry your inflatable kayaks and grills in it, if you feel you wouldn't have enough room in the Ventana.

We absolutely love our Ventana and are glad we chose this model over the 37' model we almost bought. The shorter length has allowed us entry into some state and national parks that we otherwise wouldn't have been able to camp in. It also allows us to be more flexible with fuel stops - I don't always have to go to a truck stop for fuel. The king sized bed in our model sealed the deal for us! Good luck with whatever choice you make.
Ventana303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:47 AM   #3
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
We had a 2014 Ventana LE 3436 that did not have Oasis, but I think there was more storage space in it than there is in our 40' MADP. The current 34' and 37' Ventanas do not have a tag axle, so you don't lose compartment space due to that. When you move to the 40' and longer models, that becomes a consideration.

In answer to your specific question, "Does the 34' Ventana have sufficient storage capacity for extended travel," the short answer is...no. And neither does a 37', a 40', a 43', a 45' or 45' pulling a 24' double-stacker trailer...if you plan to carry everything you might want. Yes, a bit tongue-in-cheek, but extended travel in any motorhome requires some careful thought and, sometimes, difficult choices. So, in reality, it is a personal choice whether the 34' Ventana has sufficient storage capacity for extended travel.

We traveled fairly extensively in our Ventana LE 3436, but we had to make some choices. I think you will find the same to be true.

EDIT: Don't forget the under-bed storage; it is significant and may accommodate some items that get used less frequently.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:50 PM   #4

Ventana Space & Storage

We have had our VTDP 3433 for a little over a year now and love it.
We travel for a couple mos at a time and have had no problem at all with storage capacity...
I do carry a bike on back of MH - didn't like the idea of it on rear of toad but that's probably just me as I see many others doing it. I do use the MH rack as an evening place to store the bike when we are at a site. I'll attach a few pics.

I had the (Mostly DIY fab'd) rack from a previous MH so just reused it.
On the previous MH I attached it to the tow bar receiver shank but the PO of my Ventana had already installed a second receiver above the factory one to use a receiver mount bike rack so I am using that. I used the alum shank from an old Blue Ox tow bar to mount my bike rack.
The rack is made out of std 80/2-Alum Framing Extrusions and added a couple of horizontal rack brackets I purchased but any commercial receiver mount bike rack should work similarly.
I made the rack so it would tip down w/ a quick hitch pin to allow EZ engine access. The bike cover is a DIY test also but so far like it better than the full covers I've seen.
I'll post another answer with some of the storage mods I've completed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike Rack 1.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	222276   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike Rack 2.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	222277  

Name:	Bike Rack 3.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	275.6 KB
ID:	222278   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike Rack 4.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	229.1 KB
ID:	222279  

Name:	Bike Rack 5.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	269.8 KB
ID:	222280   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike Rack 6.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	222281  

Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:04 PM   #5

VTDP 3433 Storage

What I did and so far like re: storage.

I added a 2/3 depth slide tray to the pass side pass through compartment - basically goes in as far as the Oasis unit and is full width for the wide portion.
I did not like the idea of the full width - 2 way slides as they limit the height to the rail height. Withe the 2/3 depth I can load the outer portion higher and the inner portion low enough to clear the frame rail.
The other bays used for chairs, tools, grill etc.
I carry one golf bag, but no kayaks.
I have added shelf on the pegboard bay for fluids & cleaning supplies.
I have also found a plastic tote that fits on top of the gennie where I store an umbrella, spare parts, tire covers, etc
Ladder is collapsible one stored in a 5x5 PVC fence post under the wet bay
Air compressor in a drvr side rear (shallow) compartment
I wouldn't guess a 3 mo trip would require much different storage than a 2 mo trip - full timing a whole different story.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ladder Storage 1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	222282   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ladder Storage 2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	222283  

Name:	Comp Air3.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	222284   Click image for larger version

Name:	DS rear Storage 3.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	222285  

Name:	Storage 1.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	222286   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gen Storage 1.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	222287  

Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:42 PM   #6

Thanks all for the great feedback. I feel more comfortable now that we'd be fine in a 34 footer. Very creative use of space Winemaker! Really like the storage in the genny compartment. Sounds like we could make 34' work, will just have to be judicious in what we bring with us and creative in use of space.

We are still 2 years away from pulling the trigger on a coach, but have been lurking here for a couple years and have been out to Hershey show twice and really like what I see in the Ventana 34XX series. Can't wait to hit the road in one!
samtheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:39 PM   #7

We just traded in our tiffin 34tga for a 3436 ventana because of the extra storage in the 3436 internal and external. Fit and finish of the newmar is light years ahead of tiffin
Kevkari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:56 PM   #8
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Samtheman, if the 34XX meets you budget and floor plan needs it will be fine. Your question is like the perennial question of how much money do you need to retire. One full timer once wisely told me “what ever you have”. I don’t know you, but I have found two types of retirees: those that live within their means and are happy, and those (even millionaires) that are never happy with what they have.

We used to own a 26’ class C that many folks who owned them full timed. With 1500lbs on cargo capacity they reveled in making due. It’s all perspective.

Can you carry enough to full time in a Newmar 34XX, yes and no, it’s all about your ability to adapt. If you have found that you are never satisfied, I can safely say no you won’t have enough space.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, storage, vent, ventana