Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2020, 10:53 AM   #1

Storing 2019 King Aire without 110 power

hello fellow newmar owners....the barn where I store my coach does not presently have power...and likely wont for awhile....when turning off the chassis batteries as well as the house battery cutoff near the door..i was surprised to see that the batteries go from float down to about 12 .1 volts in a week......was expecting much less draw like I had with other coaches and consequently I have had to go run the generator every week...has anybody come up with a solution to cut the draw down while in storage????thanks for any input...joe b 2019 king aire
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2020, 11:06 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Newmar graciously created some circuits that the cutoffs don’t impact, hence the power drop you described. Things like steps, radio/clock, detection items, etc.
It is a hassle, but the only way to kill the power for sure is to disconnect the batteries.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:29 AM   #3

Modern, fully equipped motorhomes are not designed to be stored without power. There are just too many voltage draws to make it practical for anything other than very short stays. Just the nature of the beast.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:17 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Why not, for the short time, set the AGS to start the generator at a set voltage to run for an hour or so to recharge those 16 batteries?
alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:42 AM   #5

2X alan1 comments above.

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 11:22 AM   #6

How about some solar on the barn. I have a 2019 Dutchstar with the factory solar and store outside. The batteries are always topped off and ready to go. I have 400 watts so you would probably need more due to the additional batteries in your rig.
b8t34u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:29 PM   #7

Thanks for the input...As far as power draw memory etc,I don’t think this coach has anything that my previous American heritage didn’t have and with that coach...cut off the batteries and could sit for a couple months between charge ups...regarding setting ags....I am not comfortable with that as far as the generator running while I am not here...it’s inside a barn...which is why I am wondering if anybody has done anything(like a complete battery shutoff)that would alleviate what must be fairly significant draw even after cutting off the batteries....there are 16 house batteries with significant capacity...considering installing a regular mechanical cutoff switch like boats have...just not sure what affect that would have on silver leaf etc memories...anybody???? Thx joe b 2019 king aire
Joedoggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:36 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I agree about not running generator unattended in the barn. It sounds like you are on the right track with a cutoff switch.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 03:54 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I agree about not running generator unattended in the barn. It sounds like you are on the right track with a cutoff switch.
The chassis batteries have a cutoff switch but not the house batteries and I just recently found what a pain it is when one forgets to hook up the power. I have heard of several folks who installed one on the house batteries as well but I am not sure the affect on silverleaf
Old 06-10-2020, 04:34 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by plane View Post
The chassis batteries have a cutoff switch but not the house batteries and I just recently found what a pain it is when one forgets to hook up the power.

The chassis batteries have a cutoff switch, but it doesn’t cut power to everything. Various Spartan components get power from a cable thats connected to the input side of the cutoff switch. This is the case on my 2018 MADP. My chassis battery drops to 12.5V in 2-3 days.
Old 06-11-2020, 06:38 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Just picked up our new DS. During the final inspection the tech said the coach has to be plugged in for storage. 20 amp is fine. Surprised me.

Without, the batteries would be dead in 5 days. Maybe yours could last longer With all those batteries. Good luck.
MJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:32 AM   #12

I discovered the same thing when I got my King Aire, and had to put 50 amp power in my garage where it is stored ASAP. There are many things that keep going (they are wired as 'constant power'), such as the Silverleaf, wifi ranger, etc. What I found though was it was the chassis batteries that died really fast. Those batteries are geared for high output to start the engine, and not good with parasitic loads. While at the Spartan academy, they said the chassis cutoffs only serve to stop the coach from starting but the engine ECU is powered all the time. They advised not disconnecting for long periods of time as it will lose what is stored in memory.
Old 06-11-2020, 10:44 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Running power to the barn ... IMHO is the answer.
patgreenair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 01:40 PM   #14

I installed a cutoff to my 2018 NADP. There is a 30 watt load even with the inverter off and the battery disconnect activated.
120 would be more than enough to keep it charged. Can you run a long heavy duty (12 gauge) extension cord?

Tags
air, power