RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2018, 03:00 PM   #1
ARD

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Storing Propane Tank in all Electric Coach

I have a small Weber grill and a propane fire pit and I have no idea where to store the propane tank(s). I thought they needed to be in a ventilated area and Iím worried as Iím traveling through warmer weather (Yay!) where to put them. They were in my toad as I figured the further away from me, the better. Any suggestions/advice for this newbie would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Renee

ARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2018, 03:11 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Are you talking about the 20 lb bottles or the small disposable bottles that are purchased in the camping section at Walmart?

Important to keep the 20 lb bottles in an upright position when transporting. That way if they do vent it will be vapor. If laying on the side it will be liquid.

We carry several small bottles when we have the portable grill with us. I figure if they can have them indoors at the store carrying a couple in the bay can not be too bad.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:20 PM   #3
ARD

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Are you talking about the 20 lb bottles or the small disposable bottles that are purchased in the camping section at Walmart?

Important to keep the 20 lb bottles in an upright position when transporting. That way if they do vent it will be vapor. If laying on the side it will be liquid.

We carry several small bottles when we have the portable grill with us. I figure if they can have them indoors at the store carrying a couple in the bay can not be too bad.

Thanks Gordon. Good point about the small ones being in the store. That is what I have too; however, I wanted to buy one of the larger ones for the fire pit, but have procrastinated since I got nervous about storing it.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:31 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Propane is heavier than air, so it has a tendency to collect along the floor or lowest point. That's why propane detectors are mounted so close to the floor.
While I wouldn't worry much about the little 1 pounders, the 20 pounders really ought to have a ventilated space.
I have a 5lb jug which I carry to use with our gas grill. I hate those little 1lb bottles, they never last long, and will slowly leak if you remove them once they're screwed into the regulator. Plus, they're wasteful and not easy to recycle. My 5 pounder rides in a plastic open box, and I always double check the valve and use the plug that came with it.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:39 PM   #5
ARD

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Propane is heavier than air, so it has a tendency to collect along the floor or lowest point. That's why propane detectors are mounted so close to the floor.

While I wouldn't worry much about the little 1 pounders, the 20 pounders really ought to have a ventilated space.

I have a 5lb jug which I carry to use with our gas grill. I hate those little 1lb bottles, they never last long, and will slowly leak if you remove them once they're screwed into the regulator. Plus, they're wasteful and not easy to recycle. My 5 pounder rides in a plastic open box, and I always double check the valve and use the plug that came with it.

That is what I want to get a (5 lb) jug. Do you put it in your basement or toad? Thanks!

Renee
Old 01-10-2018, 03:47 PM   #6

I have the same coach but a 2016 and I store the tanks in the basement but cushioned. I never thought of heat but they sit in the sun with no problem. I'll follow this thread. By the way, did they fix the driver seat hitting the wood trim when you tilt the back rearward?
judgebobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:55 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
We carry a 20lb tank (for our campfire in a can). It will off-gas if the bay its in gets hit by the sun - been there done that. So ours is in one of our bays that has an opening in the bottom (like our wet bay has). This way the vapors have a place to go because we can't always guarantee our orientation on a campsite to be sure that bay isn't in direct sun.

We also store it inside a plastic milk crate so it doesn't tip over.

Lori-
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:57 PM   #8
ARD

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
We carry a 20lb tank (for our campfire in a can). It will off-gas if the bay its in gets hit by the sun - been there done that. So ours is in one of our bays that has an opening in the bottom (like our wet bay has). This way the vapors have a place to go because we can't always guarantee our orientation on a campsite to be sure that bay isn't in direct sun.

Lori-

This is my concern. I donít have a ventilated bay.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:01 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I have an all electric coach and also have a barbecue and propane fire pit. I wanted to carry propane safely in the coach somewhere. After reading all the previous posts on this subject I purchased a propane tank rack and mounted it to my bike rack. It fits on the back of the motorhome. I didn't like the look of it back there so I slip a black nylon laundry bag over it when I travel. It's well ventilated. The only downside is that the engine heat warms up the tank a bit and probably vents off some of my propane.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:11 PM   #10

Lets see, tank venting propane next to hot engine, what could go wrong?
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:22 PM   #11

'16 38' Ventana (all electric) here. I stow mine in a forward basement compartment. I bought a tank foot to stabilize it. It works fine...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005R...EdL&ref=plSrch
TRGarringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post

Lori-
How hot did it get in your bay? I have left a 20Lb tank on a black bedlined truck box with a canopy in 110F weather and no offgassing........

Many bumper pull TT's come with black covers over their propane tanks now and no offgassing either.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:28 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I store the 1lb (green) bottles in the pegboard bay. I have an 11lb tank I store in the passenger side forward most compartment.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:38 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARD View Post
This is my concern. I donít have a ventilated bay.
I store mine in a side locker. It has pretty good ventilation but could be better. One option I'm considering is to add a vent at floor level and cover it on the outside with a stainless steel vent cover, like 3"x3". Like what you'd find on a boat.

baraff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, propane, tank