Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2021, 02:51 PM   #1

Storing RV

My wife and I have just purchased a 2018 Newmar Essex and don't know much about it. So i just joined this website to read and learn about the RV. This is actually my FIRST post and wondered what I need to do to store it. I have it plugged into a 50amp plug .... do I just shut the door and leave it ?? Do I need to turn off any breakers .... battery cut off switches ... It won't sit more than two to three months at a time.
Any help would be greatly appreciated !!!!!
thanks and look forward to learning how to use this site !!
TXcamperCPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2021, 03:41 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
First off, Welcome to IRV2!

You'll probably get a variety of answers, but I can relate what I do in storage. We seldom go more than a month without using the coach so I plug it in, turn off the lights and close the door. I do turn off the chassis batteries, but leave the house batteries and the 12v system on all the time. The multiplex system controls the charger and keeps the house batteries well maintained. We also leave food in the fridge that is not time sensitive. I do have a system that will warn me by text if the storage area loses power for some reason and the house batteries drop to 12v.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 04:25 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We also plug up to 50 amp and will go 2-3 months between trips. I always fill up fuel tank before storing. We remove ALL food items. So as not to put any temptation in front of rodents or insects. Turn off the lights and lock the door.
2012 JEEP Liberty 4WD,Demco Dominator, AF1
GW4607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 05:15 PM   #4

Not sure how it is with a diesel generator but if I go much more than a month without running/exercising my gas generator for an hour under load it has issues starting and running smoothly. This is good for not only the generator engine but the generator windings as well. I once let it go almost four months and that was a mistake. If possible, exercise it monthly.

Paul
StaRVGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 10:24 PM   #5

We do the same as previously mentioned, also leave one of the ac units on about 78 degrees to keep the humidity down. If you have lead acid House batteries be sure to maintain the proper water level in them.
nomad bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 05:35 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
All good advice......

You may consider leaving the refrigerator & freezer doors open for a period after use. This will allow the unit to totally come to the inside ambient temperature and will prevent mold.

Good luck & welcome to the Newmar family.

g
Old 07-11-2021, 06:22 AM   #7

One other addition: make sure you Auto Gen Start and inverter are off while in storage. You want the battery charger to continue to maintain the batteries, so keep it on.

I’m not sure if the Essex uses the Magnum system in the cabinet above the driver, but that’s where it is on the Dutch Star and that’s where I check those settings.

I also runs some water in the sinks and toilets whenever I visit the coach to keep drain pipes hydrated and the toilets clean.

I keep the center AC unit at 75 degrees (we’re only on 30 amps).
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
LeslieGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 07:23 AM   #8

Congratulations on your new coach. All the above tips and pointers are good advice. A 2018 Essex it is quite a machine. I’m going to go out on a limb here, and take a bigger swipe at this question than perhaps you asked for. I could be wrong here, but based on your first post, it sounds like you may be new to class a coach ownership.I think you may need to start by familiarizing yourself with your coach’s equipment. The power control management system, what types of batteries your house tray has, your inverter/charger system, location and functionality of house & master switches, etc. all need to be at least learned (at the top level) before you can effectively store and manage successfully this type of coach. If you’re currently plugged in, and can check charging status of both house and master batteries, you’re probably OK for the time being. Next I would determine what type of batteries you have (AGM, LI, SLA or Flooded) what the age and condition are, if flooded, is the water level correct, and start making adjustments from there. You should also read and review your inverter/charger manual as well as your PCM manual.
Depending on your local climate, next I would start learning the HVAC and water bay systems. Chances are you got at least two if not three heating system options, such as heat pumps and ACs, hydronic heating, and possibly floor tile heating. Water bay systems will include tank fill/rinse/drain options, fresh water, black and gray tank management, etc. Before your first outing, I would learn engine/drive train and tire maintenance basics, then slide operations and Jack leveling procedures.

Good luck, that’s a great coach you’ve got, but there is some complexity to these things that should be learned fairly quickly if you’re going to be storing and using it without problems.

2015 Dutch Star 4369, Freightliner, 450 hp
clawsonbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 07:43 AM   #9

We keep a dehumidifier running in ours while in storage. I ran a drain line to a hole in the battery compartment under the entry steps. We also have a battery maintainer for the chassis battery that plugs into the OBD port.
dsurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 08:50 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXcamperCPL View Post
My wife and I have just purchased a 2018 Newmar Essex and don't know much about it. So i just joined this website to read and learn about the RV. This is actually my FIRST post and wondered what I need to do to store it. I have it plugged into a 50amp plug .... do I just shut the door and leave it ?? Do I need to turn off any breakers .... battery cut off switches ... It won't sit more than two to three months at a time.
You didn’t mention if you were storing outdoors (covered or uncovered) or indoors?

Most of the advice here is great! However, I would suggest NOT turning off the Chassis Battery Switch. Your Inverter/Charger can’t maintain the charge if they are turned off.

I love the “remove all food” suggestion! Rodents are VERY bad.

Additionally, I store our MA with the Jacks down to both stabilize the MH and also to take some weight off the tires. Reduces the chances of a “flat spots.” Because we store indoors I don’t need to use the AC but I do leave an Exhaust Fan (which has a cover) running all the time.

I also leave the Washing Machine door unlatched so it doesn’t get smelly.

You toilets will get messy because all the water will evaporate. I have covered the bowl with cellophane wrap and added a small amount of bleach which has helped in our house when we have been gone for months.

Always clean the bug off the front of your MH before storing! It’s amazing how much damage they can do to the Diamond Shield if not removed timely.

The only breaker I turn off is for the True Induction Cooktop. It seems this will extend the life of the cooktop as it is constantly searching for a pot or pan. Do a search on this subject. The breaker is in the middle bath cabinet.

Hope this helps! Enjoy that new MH!
Old 07-11-2021, 09:04 AM   #11

Quote:
I suppose you could shut the door and leave it. On our Essex, I shut off both battery banks and leave it all winter while plugged into 110v. / 20 amps without any issues. Silverleaf will still be alive with the batteries shut off but this is no problem since you are plugged in. Sometimes we park it in the summer with the upstairs refrigerator running on 110v with no problems either. We store it in a building in Illinois, and do not leave the A/C’s running.
Tizbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 09:45 AM   #12

Make sure your holding tanks are drained, clean and have a small amount of water in them to keep the bottoms wet.
If storing outdoors, pull all the shades and curtains shut to keep sun off furniture and to keep the interior cooler. If you have tire covers you should use them.
I have 'Maxi Vent' vent covers so I can leave the roof vents open for air circulation.
For the RV season I store my coach right here at home where I have plenty of room. Nice days I leave the outside door open for more air circulation.
I don't leave the coach plugged in all the time. I take the coach for a drive around a couple roads which makes for about a 6 mile drive. When I'm away my wife will mow the grass where I have had the coach parked. I park in different spots so I don't kill the grass leaving the coach in the same spot all the while.
I don't leave the power plugged in all the time. Every couple weeks or so I plug in overnight to top the charge in the batteries off.
My coach may set a week, two or three weeks or even longer between outings. It's always ready to go on short notice. If we get the urge we might just throw in a few things and head out for a 70 mile trip to go to a dirt track stock car race. We pack lightly and usually don't even need the refrigerator. A couple coolers will do just fine for an overnight and the trip back home the next AM. This is one of the reasons we have bought campers since the beginning.
How involved you will get with storage preparation will depend upon how you will be using your RV. Like buying shoes, not everyone wears the same size.
Welcome to the forum.
Old 07-11-2021, 02:41 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
We store outdoors for up to 60 days between use.

Shut down 12 volt on salesman switch. Shut off Chassis batteries. Leave Frig open. Add lots of water to the toilets to account for evaporation - want to keep the seals wet. Close all shades. Cover tires with Wade covers.

The chassis batteries are maintained with the factory solar panel.

That's it.
RVStitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 08:35 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
If you have the luxury of a 50amp service then you can do many things differently then some with 30 amp, 20 amp or no electrical service at all.

First, ALL food sources should be inclosed within containers or zip lock bags if any are kept in the coach. This is what we use along with zip lock bags:
https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grip...a-802903274057

We also have a covered spot with 50 amp service and have the width to keep our slides open all the time.

So we keep the AC's to 75 which seems to keep the coach at an actual temp of 78, refrigerator is closed, just like your home fridge would be keeping condiments cold as well as any frozen foods in the freezer. Toilets are always up with a higher amount of water just in case of evaporation, and every breaker is on with the exception of the Induction Cooktop. We leave that off all the time until we want to use it, storage or travel. In other words, exactly the same as if you're camping on a 50 amp site. Of course always check your batteries water level, if that's the type you have. We do close the blinds though for sunlight coming in from the front of the covered storage and anyone who might be a bit curious as well.
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote